9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Tail of the Dragon anyone? Oct 17-19, 2014

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  kgf3076 
#1 ·
I'm headed to Fontana Village on Oct 17 for a weekend of Dragon driving. Anyone interested in joining me for a weekend of 318 curves in 11 miles is welcome. If you'd like to go, let me know and I'll arrange if so you get the discounted room rate.

I've been organizing twice-yearly Dragon events for S2000's for over 5 years so I'm familiar with the area and the people and the roads. I plan on driving the Moonshiner 28, Devil's Triangle, and possibly a trip to Blood Mountain. I might also make a quick side trip to Tellico Plains to visit Benton's Smokehouse to pick up some thick-cut,hickory smoked bacon.

If you've never driven the Dragon, you're in for a treat. Definitely NOT a high speed run by any means, lots of switchbacks, descending radius turns, 270 degree "sweepers", and one or two (very short) straights. The posted speed limit is 30mph and you'll rarely get that fast.

Here's some information on the Dragon and Fontana Village: Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap, Fontana Village. Information on Devil's Triangle and Blood Mountain can be found in the Tail of the Dragon website.

#2 ·
Not to be Debbie Downer but I lost a beautiful friend to cancer and she organized a huge ride thru there as one last shebang vs. chemo etc. since she knew she was terminal. The pictures can't describe what a ride that is.

Might want to upgrade the brake pads so you don't fade and take some others with you.

#3 ·
If I still had something to put on the Dragon, I would. Most people shouldn't do the speed limit, you're right. Having said that, there are two places on it where I used to hit 80 then hard on the binders while downshifting quick on various sport bikes thru the years. The Cherohala Skyway has actually killed more cyclists because a skilled rider can go so ungodly fast before hitting the decreasing radius turns or getting tangled up in the Armco railing. I would go hard on the Dragon but not the Cherohala.

If you want to drive the wildest road in the country, go with kgf3076.

#4 · (Edited)
Here's video of the Spring Rockin' the Dragon. Enjoy. In the Spring we had about 150 cars, for the Fall event (DragonFall Run), it is smaller, and this year there were 40 cars. If you get a chance, you really should drive the Dragon at least one time. (I'll even lead a newbie drive just so you have an idea of what to expect :D).

#7 ·
Not sure if I'm going to drive the Si or the S2000. Either way, you're more than welcome in anything you want to drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.