(smooth takeoff in 1st) Driving Manual in a 2014 Civic Si
NEWS

1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: (smooth takeoff in 1st) Driving Manual in a 2014 Civic Si

Greenhorn

(smooth takeoff in 1st) Driving Manual in a 2014 Civic Si

So I've had my Si for about a year so far and I still can't drive it "smoothly" all the time. I can here and there but for the most part, I never give it "enough" gas. My car almost stalls out when I start off in 1st or 2nd. Yeah I start off in 2nd sometimes. The reason for doing this is because I feel like revving it too much will cause more wear on the clutch but I've recently found out that not revving it enough can also be bad.

So my question to you guys is how do you drive your Si's? How much do you rev it to starting off in 1st or 2nd? Any other advise that you can give to maybe learning how to drive more smooth? Or is this the characteristics of this car and how it drives?

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Nooblets
    thats basically how mine is too. some poeple have removed the clutch delay valve but i cant comment on that as i have not done it

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    I drove both an Si and my R18 before I decided on which car, and the R18 is definitely more forgiving, meaning the Si is a little more difficult to get smooth. But it is doable with some practice. After all, people do drive them.

You might try a gentle throttle blipping and engage the clutch as the revs descend. Then give a it a little gas as the car begins to move away. You will probably need to experiment with this to get it right.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyrocks View Post
    I drove both an Si and my R18 before I decided on which car, and the R18 is definitely more forgiving, meaning the Si is a little more difficult to get smooth. But it is doable with some practice. After all, people do drive them.

You might try a gentle throttle blipping and engage the clutch as the revs descend. Then give a it a little gas as the car begins to move away. You will probably need to experiment with this to get it right.
    I've tried doing like the gas gas gas and slowly releasing the clutch while doing so and I could never get it to be smooth lol at least in the newer Civics. I heard that it was because the older Civics are drive by cable and what not. I mean I don't really care about it being smooth all the time, I know it's not going to drive like an automatic. All I care about is not messing up my transmission and not messing up my clutch.

Some guys have it, and some don't

Seriously, you're probably worrying too much. I've being driving a manual for 20 years and every shift isn't smooth. You sure there's nothing wrong with the clutch? Is it possible the previous owner abused it?
    2012 Civic Si sedan / Dyno Blue

POP CREW MEMBER #615

Retired:

2014 Civic Si sedan / MSM
    2012 Civic Si sedan / Sunburst Orange
    2007 Civic Si sedan / Silver

Hidden Content

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSi View Post
    I've tried doing like the gas gas gas and slowly releasing the clutch while doing so and I could never get it to be smooth lol at least in the newer Civics. I heard that it was because the older Civics are drive by cable and what not. I mean I don't really care about it being smooth all the time, I know it's not going to drive like an automatic. All I care about is not messing up my transmission and not messing up my clutch.
    I have a cable operated clutch in my '63 VW as well as the hydraulics in my '15 Civic. Both are equally easy to drive for me, but then, I've been driving manual transmissions for 40 years.

So maybe all you need is more practice. It does require a certain touch. But not everyone can be a real rock star.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

Find a deserted parking lot and practice releasing the clutch slowly without adding throttle.
    A slight down grade on the practice lot is helpful, too.

After you get muscle memory in your left leg with regard to smooth clutch engagement.
    You can then practice applying the throttle.

As part of my job I drove Honda and Acura cars switching between auto trans and m/t, some times from day to day...
    Because of that it was nearly impossible to drive a 6spd manual smoothly.
    So I disliked driving 6 speed cars, especially in the city, which for me was 99% of the time. Speed limits 40 mph or slower.
    TheOriginalWootang likes this.
    Misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

Hey buddy. Two things I recommend for better shifting (both are free).

1. CDV delete. google "9th civic forum CDV delete" and you should find a DIY.
    2. Clutch Pedal Adjustment. DIY video is in a comment on the link below.
    Clutch Pedal Adjustment
    '15 TW FB6 Si

Engine
    Rick Spec'd Intensity CAI
    RV6 Catless Downpipe
    Hasport 62a Rear Motor Mount
    Acuity Instruments Short Shift Kit
    Acuity Instruments Trans Springs
    Stock midpipe and muffler
    Vit Tuned

Suspension
    Buddy Club Sport Spec Coilovers
    24mm Progress RSB
    FKX Rear Shock Bushings
    SPC Rear Camber Arms
    Ingalls Front Camber Bolts
    Moog Endlinks

Wheels

Rays Engineering 18x8+30
    Nitto NeoGen 215/40

Non-Racecar Stuff
    JL Audio 10" Sub
    Alpine 500W Amp

Instagram: @MishkaCreates | @DankJDM

One Bad Mama Jama!!! bigbadspoon's Avatar
    I typically rev up to about 2500 and let out the clutch dropping the RPM to about 2000 when the clutch is fully engaged. This car is one of the touchiest manuals I've ever driven, but you'll get used to it.

Also, if you ever plan on modding, the motor mount kit was the single best shift-improving mod I ever installed. The stock mounts are *really* soft and you can actually feel the engine rotating as you load it. If your clutch engagement isn't butter smooth, the engine will bounce in the mounts causing the car to feel like it's chugging. Stiffer mounts transfer the energy to moving the car instead of the engine, so it's a lot smoother because there's more mass dampening the load.
    MeeSh likes this.

[QUOTE=Teeps;3322122]Find a deserted parking lot and practice releasing the clutch slowly without adding throttle.
    A slight down grade on the practice lot is helpful, too.

After you get muscle memory in your left leg with regard to smooth clutch engagement.
    You can then practice applying the throttle.

This. Learn where the clutch engagement point is.
    teamrubixcube likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.