9th Gen Civic Forum banner

What Mods you can do that does not require hondata?

7K views 49 replies 15 participants last post by  kev604 
#1 ·
Any info will help Thanx. 2012 si sedan.

#2 ·
Motech

Reactions: JonnyRotten
#5 ·
Window tint, air freshener from the rear view mirror, UAE headlights, underbody NEON (old school style) to name a few. But see what I'm getting at here. If you want to properly mod you need to tune. My car is bone stock with a tune and I love it.

#6 · (Edited)
imagine if your a solider, will you run faster with combat boots & 40lbs back pack or a light weight sneakers & a 20lbs back pack ?

these are common sense & foundation of building a performance vehicle.

reduce rotational weight = less energy use to move the vehicle forward..

this is a video of a vit tune with skunk cai, axion catless 3" dp, 3" full race cat back with 18lbs wheels (blue car) racing a car with no tune with stock catalytic converter + fkx racing power packages (black car)..

both driver are on a cell phone, on the same gear to prevent any advantage..

#14 ·
imagine if your a solider, will you run faster with combat boots & 40lbs back pack or a light weight sneakers & a 20lbs back pack ?

these are common sense & foundation of building a performance vehicle.

reduce rotational weight = less energy use to move the vehicle forward..

this is a video of a vit tune with skunk cai, axion catless 3" dp, 3" full race cat back with 18lbs wheels (blue car) racing a car with no tune with stock catalytic converter + fkx racing power packages (black car)..

both driver are on a cell phone, on the same gear to prevent any advantage..
Hmm. Maybe I should get Vit FP deal instead of the Full Race exhaust.....damn it I want that exhaust.

#7 ·
Soldiers wear sneakers?

#11 ·
Yes, God forbid we have any good-natured humor here. :rolleyes:

#18 ·
I been looking into the same info trying to decide what mods first, I got a '12 si too and seems whatever we slap on the motor (intake, Dp/exhaust etc) won't give us any of that advertised HP unless/until it's tuned. I'm considering going in this order: 1.Hondata 2.Coilovers 3.Exhaust 4.Rims
The thing I want most is more power/performance and pretty much the only way is hondata. I am worried about the engine knocks though I won't lie...I'll still have to weigh that out w more research and asking others how they like their hondata on stock. but it seems that the k24 can handle it as long as your tune isn't pushing too hard....

#19 ·
you will get engine knocks unless you retard the timing or keep the afr rich... then that defeat the purpose of ecu tuning....

let me show you one of my customer's car's engine knock count when it's hot... the only reason he knows this is because when he drives, his hondata app will always be on before driving it..
if you don't use the hondata app, you mostly will never know how much knock counts your getting...

#25 ·
you can also do pulley, oil pump, port & polish head, knife edge, light weight pistons & rods, light weight wheels, light weight brakes, light weight tires, light weigh clutch (must have oem weight flywheel), you can do 2.5" cat back, you can also do electric water pump, thermostat. final drive, low friction engine oil and nitrious 35-75 shots...

all these parts can make power without manipulate your stock ecu map to gain power

#28 ·
Reactions: team3d
This post has been deleted
#47 ·
....sensitive peeps in this thread....

Back to the original question....

All suspension mods do not require flashpro (coilovers, springs, shocks, bushings, sway bars, tires, wheels, spacers, chasis braces, strut bars etc), many many suspension mods.

Mostly all cosmetic mods, speaker/sound mods, lighting etc, none require flashpro

Clutches, pulleys, piping (brake lines, radiator hoses, radiators, any kind of SS line)

exhaust (down pipe or cat back, they dont require flash pro, however this is a widely debated topic)

The other thing is you can do a number of bolt ons, like air intake etc but the fear is that if you dont retune the ECU you may actually be losing power, like with the RBC manifold switch.

Hope this helps.

#50 ·
I absolutely agree with quality wheels and tires being the way to go but it is an expensive investment. Easily $1500 and the sky being the limit. Tires once mounted and driven on are not worth much after that, quality wheels can fetch a decent return but an initial $$$ needs to be put down. I also wouldn't recommend selling your stock wheels to offset some of the cost of new wheels as down the road you'll probably regret selling your stock wheels especially when you want to sell or trade in your car.
Also most people who start threads such as these are probably not looking to spend big money just looking for an affordable quick and easy mod to net some gains.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.