9th Gen Civic Forum banner
497K views 3K replies 840 participants last post by  Lil fader 
#1 ·
So i have to ask the question. what is the real MPG's you are seeing vs the posted numbers on your window sticker? also how many miles can you squeeze out of one tank? I have to ask as i was in my friends 08 coupe EX last night and she had 220 miles on that tank was still half full! is this typical?

#2 ·
usually the first half will last longer than the second half of the tank. I got on average about 300 miles out of my tank. All highway I could squeeze 330. That was before I put on the supercharger. It dropped to about 275 after, but I drive it a lot harder now. If I drive really hard it only gets about 250.

#15 ·
That's still not bad Scott..

I wish my commute was more highways (or at least highways where it's not stop & go) but I went to Atlantic City, NJ for a Civic meet this past weekend and I filled up on Saturday Morning around 8am and left to go up there.. Got home around 1am and I went 300 miles and I was at 1/4 left..

Edit: It's not a Civic. Sorry

#3 ·
In my 08 EX coupe, I average 280-300 with 90% city driving, however when its 50% city and 50% highway I get 350 with a full tank. AND when I drove to Miami, Fl from Philly, PA I got 500 miles with a full tank once on cruise control at 65 mph. I did it intentionally to see how much I would be able to get, then after that I drove normal 70-90 and got a little over 400 with a full tank.

#4 ·
wow thats pretty impressive......the most i have ever squeezed out of my Lancer is 255 miles and the gas light was on. which is the reason i had to start this thread....just to see how horrible my mpg's really are! lol

it also makes me wonder what is possible with the 2012 model if you are pulling off those kind of numbers already

#7 ·
That's not bad but there have been people in 8ths getting over 40mpgs & there was no ECON button. Then again your just bought the car so the motor needs to break in still so your MPGs should continue to increase.

#10 ·
the Econ button just coaches the driver how to drive economically. like It probably tells you to maintain a good speed or light throttle. I'm sure once you drive with Econ turned on enough times, you won't even need it and can be driving within the Econ button standards without the car telling you what to do and Econ off.

#11 ·
yes, you get feedback with the eco assist on, which will be a valuable tool to help one learn to drive more efficiently.

but, eco assist is also an active system...the vehicles engine performance and transmission (and i believe also air conditioning system) are adjusted. there is less hp and torque available.

#13 ·
ECO button

I drove an EX sedan a couple of days ago and switched back and forth, on-off with the ECO button. (No AC on at the time, so I don't know how that affects it.) Having the button on did two obvious things: less responsiveness in the throttle, and the transmission wanted to be in a higher gear--that is, it upshifted sooner and did not downshift as readily with the application of more power. Basically, it turned the car into a DOG, but that is a trade-off I'm sometimes willing to make in order to get better mpg.

I didn't take the car out on the interstate, so I don't know what difference ECO would make in the gas mileage when holding a constant 70 mph; my guess is, not that much. The ECO mode is probably more effective in saving fuel in around-town driving with its frequent gear shifts and changing amounts of throttle.

If you want to be compulsive (who, me, compulsive?) about your gas mileage, there is both an instant mpg gauge and the blue/green light system (blue=normal, green=gas-sipping operation) on the upper dashboard to keep you occupied.

#14 ·
I drove an EX sedan a couple of days ago and switched back and forth, on-off with the ECO button. (No AC on at the time, so I don't know how that affects it.) Having the button on did two obvious things: less responsiveness in the throttle, and the transmission wanted to be in a higher gear--that is, it upshifted sooner and did not downshift as readily with the application of more power. Basically, it turned the car into a DOG, but that is a trade-off I'm sometimes willing to make in order to get better mpg.

I didn't take the car out on the interstate, so I don't know what difference ECO would make in the gas mileage when holding a constant 70 mph; my guess is, not that much. The ECO mode is probably more effective in saving fuel in around-town driving with its frequent gear shifts and changing amounts of throttle.

If you want to be compulsive (who, me, compulsive?) about your gas mileage, there is both an instant mpg gauge and the blue/green light system (blue=normal, green=gas-sipping operation) on the upper dashboard to keep you occupied.
From what i have read, the AC unit is effected by the ECON button.

Yeah the two pillar lights on the side of the MPH change from blue to gren based on your driving.....i found myself watching the colors more than the MPH lol

#16 ·
I don't have the Econ button in my car :icon_headfones:

I consistently get about 330 miles to the tank before the light pops up and if I push it, like I always do, I get about 360-370 miles to the tank about 10 miles after there's no bars left. :eusa_clap:

If I'm taking a trip and it's 100% hwy, I get about 480-520 miles to the tank.

#17 ·
I don't have the Econ button in my car :icon_headfones:

I consistently get about 330 miles to the tank before the light pops up and if I push it, like I always do, I get about 360-370 miles to the tank about 10 miles after there's no bars left. :eusa_clap:

If I'm taking a trip and it's 100% hwy, I get about 480-520 miles to the tank.
480-520 all highway....really??? thats pretty impressive

#27 ·
oh yea definitely, imagine a day where the Mustang has better mileage than the civic lol that's a disaster

Not talking about the v6... lol

when i drive 6 speed I get a heavy foot! probably wouldn't be fun for my wallet!
Yeaa man, although I'm cringing at spending just 30 bucks on my gas right now, it sure is a lot better than the dudes playing 100s haha

EDIT: oh yea in my comment forgot you wanted the 5.0 right

#29 ·
In my '00 Si depending on how -:pinkvtec:- I drive and if it's stop and go kind of driving or not, up to 400 on a full tank, my average is about 310... (being a little conservative) oh 11 gallon tank I believe.

#30 · (Edited)
Multiple Civic MPGs

FYI - I occasionally do new dealer trades, wherein I delivery new cars from Honda dealer to Honda dealer. I've driven about 10 new '12 Civics thus far. On average the highway mileage has been in the 40 to 41 MPG range. Both LX and EX models and usually with the ECON on, but at highway miles I don't believe that makes a difference. Realize all of these cars have only 5-15 miles on them when I pick them up. Haven't had any with odd shifting or unusual drive pattern. These readings were a result of cruise control set at 70 mph, mostly on Interstate roads.

As has been the case for sometime, Honda's written break-in procedures do not require a varying of speeds during highway use. In fact, the '12 Civic Manual doesn't mention a break-in section in the table of contents at all. There is one page where they do mention no full throttle starts or attempts for the first some hundreds of miles. They no longer mention leaving the "from the factory oil" in till the maintenance minder shows to change it.

#31 · (Edited)
FYI - I occasionally do new dealer trades, wherein I delivery new cars from Honda dealer to Honda dealer. I've driven about 10 new '12 Civics thus far. On average the highway mileage has been in the 40 to 41 MPG range.
Appreciate the hard (and impressive) numbers.

It is always good to get facts (rather than opinion, conjecture or SWAG input).

Look forward to your driving the Si with that wonderful 6M multi-cone synchro transmission!! Mine is - with GMSFM lube oil - about the best ever. CorVette, Porsche, RX-7, G-35, Supra - all fall short of this no-vibration, short throw manual shift icon.

Again, appreciate your input here, amigo

ez....

#35 ·
Yeh, I had assumed Honda would do direct injection on the 9th gen Civics, but it seems they wanted to save the cost of developing and changing over to a new engine. Not a good way to stay at the head of the pack.

I don't know that adding another gear in the AT will make much difference in highway mileage. The 5AT already has an extremely tall 5th gear. My 2008 Civic EX AT turns 2K @ 60 mpg, much lower than any other I4 car I know of and about what you would expect from a V6. If Honda goes to a 6AT, my guess is that top gear won't be any higher unless the engine gets additional HP at the same time.

#41 ·
Being that the gas prices will soon hit over the $5.00 mark, I might reconsider getting the Si and going with an EX.
While the monthly cost of my usual 50-60 gallons of 87 continues to generate pain at the pump, I think (at least) the winter fuel blend is gone.

My last tank gave just under 32 MPG (65% Highway) for my Gen7 6M coupe.

Anyone know for sure when the summer blend gasolina hits NoCal?

ez