Scapped off paint, need input.
NEWS

1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scapped off paint, need input.

Scapped off paint, need input.

Hey everyone,

As the title states, I took a tight turn into a driveway last night and a big rock was just tall enough to scrape the paint off the underside of my car right under the door. I cant really afford to get it sanded and repainted right now, but was curious if anyone on here could shine some light on a quick temporary fix until I can get it done right

As you can see in the pictures, its scrapped down to the metal.

Any suggestions on a quick temporary fix would be great. Plasti-dip? or whatever

thanks guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scapped off paint, need input.-photo-1.jpg   Scapped off paint, need input.-photo-2.jpg  
    2013 SI TW Sedan

2013 LX CBP Sedan Auto - Wife's car
    2012 LX TW 5 Speed Sedan (traded for the SI!!)

K24z7 Crew Member # 781

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    Yea white plasti dip will do the trick. And that is an area that no one will ever see. Just give it a good cleaning and put a few coats of white spray paint. Don't want it to start rusting there.

Super Mod's Pet
    I dunno, that looks like you scraped it good, down to bare metal, and that area is going to constantly be hit with water, road grime, salt, etc. I would get that professionally fixed, and soon. Rust starts FAST.
    Current:
    2014 Honda Civic Si sedan
    2005 Toyota Matrix Xr (wife)
    Prior "enthusiast" cars:
    2013 Civic Si sedan, 2001 Ford Mustang GT, 1995 Chevy Camaro Z28, 2000 Chevy Camaro Z28
    1988 VW GTI 16v, 1979 Olds Cutlass coupe, 1985 Chevy Chevette (hehe!)

Yeah, I want to get it done at a shop, but I cant really afford that right now. I may try to sand the paint down even under there and shoot it with some plasti-dip, or just regular spray paint. It don't have to be perfect, no one will ever know it was there besides me.

Good thing I live in Texas, I don't have to worry about road salt in the winter, but it has been raining a lot down here, so I need to get it covered up fairly quickly.

I was just hoping someone had a good cheap solution instead of taking her to a shop. I might try to hit it with some white spray paint.
    2013 SI TW Sedan

2013 LX CBP Sedan Auto - Wife's car
    2012 LX TW 5 Speed Sedan (traded for the SI!!)

K24z7 Crew Member # 781

Platinum Member EffBee6fromthe209's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bstone4 View Post
    Yeah, I want to get it done at a shop, but I cant really afford that right now. I may try to sand the paint down even under there and shoot it with some plasti-dip, or just regular spray paint. It don't have to be perfect, no one will ever know it was there besides me.

Good thing I live in Texas, I don't have to worry about road salt in the winter, but it has been raining a lot down here, so I need to get it covered up fairly quickly.

I was just hoping someone had a good cheap solution instead of taking her to a shop. I might try to hit it with some white spray paint.
    What you need to do is,
    Clean with a wax/grease remover.
    Then grab some oem touch up paint.do 2-3 coats with 30 minute intervals.
    Not this plasti-dip crap.
    That area gets blasted with road crap hence they have underseal,the rubbery bumpy looking stuff you scrapped off,then once its dry and you have layered at least 2 coats ,tape off the immediate area where you used touch up and shoot it with an acrylic/laquer clear coat readily available at almost any parts retailer from companies like Dupli-color.

Let dry and walk away.
    Save up and get it repaired.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Ouch!
    That's gonna take a whole lot of touch-up paint.

I know most think plasti-dip is cheap and looks cheap, but the stuff is very durable, flexible and inexpensive. In this case, that's exactly what I would use, especially since your car is white, one can and I'd use a good 6-7 coats, then save up for a professional repair. To each their own, but that's just what I would do. Hope it turns out well for you.
    K24 Crew Member #909
    2012 PMM FB6

Super Mod's Pet
    I really don't even know that plasti-dip will prevent corrosion. It's not designed for that.... This is the FRAME of your car, essentially, and if rust starts, it won't stop on its own.
    Current:
    2014 Honda Civic Si sedan
    2005 Toyota Matrix Xr (wife)
    Prior "enthusiast" cars:
    2013 Civic Si sedan, 2001 Ford Mustang GT, 1995 Chevy Camaro Z28, 2000 Chevy Camaro Z28
    1988 VW GTI 16v, 1979 Olds Cutlass coupe, 1985 Chevy Chevette (hehe!)

Platinum Member EffBee6fromthe209's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeshabo View Post
    Ouch!
    That's gonna take a whole lot of touch-up paint.

I know most think plasti-dip is cheap and looks cheap, but the stuff is very durable, flexible and inexpensive. In this case, that's exactly what I would use, especially since your car is white, one can and I'd use a good 6-7 coats, then save up for a professional repair. To each their own, but that's just what I would do. Hope it turns out well for you.
    If it peels off,its not adhering and sealing so it'll rust.and if any metal was exposed to any moisture its already got flash rust.
    You don't want your frame rusting.
    FYI this is considered frame damage.so if its not repaired and tried to be sold or something and gets caught someone can seek legal action.Op may not be looking to sell it later but you never know

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
    I really don't even know that plasti-dip will prevent corrosion. It's not designed for that.... This is the FRAME of your car, essentially, and if rust starts, it won't stop on its own.

Plasti-dip WILL create a moisture proof barrier.
    K24 Crew Member #909
    2012 PMM FB6

Quote Originally Posted by EffBee6fromthe209 View Post
    If it peels off,its not adhering and sealing so it'll rust.and if any metal was exposed to any moisture its already got flash rust.
    You don't want your frame rusting.
    FYI this is considered frame damage.so if its not repaired and tried to be sold or something and gets caught someone can seek legal action.Op may not be looking to sell it later but you never know

I get that, totally!

I'm just saying what I would do. OP can do whatever he chooses, since you're saying it's already got "flash rust", then I'd prefer to use dip rather than buying 6 bottles of touch-up paint to cover it, dip can be easily removed as where the touch-up paint is there for good. Honest question, would the body shop charge more for prepping that area for paint if you've already covered it with paint?
    Also, I just think trying to cover that area with touch-up paint will be pain in the ass, that brush is tiny and I can see it getting very messy. Again, that's just me.
    Last edited by Beeshabo; 11-04-2013 at 10:57 AM.
    K24 Crew Member #909
    2012 PMM FB6

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.