2014 Civic Si shifting not as smooth as I would like...
NEWS

1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 2014 Civic Si shifting not as smooth as I would like...

Greenhorn

2014 Civic Si shifting not as smooth as I would like...

Alright everyone go easy on me. First off I am not sure if this is the right section so if it isn't kindly point me in the correct direction. I am not new to driving manual cars but at the same time I have had limited experience. I learned to drive on a Jeep Wrangler and have a little experience driving on a Mazda Speed 6 and a Porsche Carrera (very limited in both of those maybe 2 hours each) and maybe another 3 in the Jeep.

I had been eyeing up a 2012 Si and unfortunately it sold the night before I went to pick it up. The dealership had a brand new 2014 si sitting on the lot that they offered me at a price I couldn't turn down so I picked it up. I have put about 400 miles on it this weekend (I do lots of driving) but it seems like I am having more troubles with this than I have with any other cars. I am smooth from 4-5 and 5-6 and sometimes I don't have any problems in 3-4 but it seems like I am really jerky with my shifting. It isn't anything that throws me through the windshield or back into the seat but it isn't like I remember the other cars being. I know the rev hang is messing with me a little but I figure I can get used to that. I haven't stalled and it seems like I might be 200-300 above or below the ideal RPM point when I shift.

Do you guys have any pointers on getting better with this? Am I doing any substantial damage during this learning curve. I know I am probably being over paranoid because the car is new and I don't want to cause issues. I am rather quick with my shifts which might be why I am having problems but I wanted to hear some pointers from others with the 9th gen civic.

Again please go easy on me. I am obviously not overly experienced with manual but it isn't my first time either.

Thanks
    Tyler

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    Practice practice. Only answer there will be. You will get better in general plus with your specific car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

The Si is difficult to drive smoothly. Just drive it more and you'll learn it's quirks... once you have them down then you'll be golden afterwards.
    '07 S2000
    '12 RSV4

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

I dont have an SI but i would have to say that the Rev hang messed with me too. It took awhile to get used to it but i just figured i was rusty! I wish you could tune that out or fix it somehow.

Super Mod's Pet The Engine Room's Avatar
    You've been spoiled by that Jeep. I have a '98 Wrangler and it is absolutely the smoothest and easiest manual I've ever driven.
    Immature: A word boring people use to describe fun people.

Greenhorn
    That seems to be what everyone is saying is that it just takes getting used to this car but I can't help but feel I am destroying my clutch in the process even though it is only a slight jerk.

Greenhorn
    I hear all these horror stories of clutches getting ripped through in 10k miles and I definitely don't want that on a brand new car

Just drive it like you're trying not to spill a glass of water. It will probably take you a month or so to get it really smoothed out. The clutch can take a lot of abuse as long as it's not intentional abuse. Just don't try to launch it or do any "performance driving" until you truly get the hang of driving well without thinking about it. You don't want to be so focused on shifting that you aren't paying attention to the road.

Greenhorn
    I have been babying that thing. I still only have about 450 miles on it so I have just barely hit vtec once or twice and the few times I have it seems like my shifts are smoother when getting on it a bit haha

The ideal situation is to rev-match while shifting. You don't really want the tachometer needle to go down and then back up when you let out the clutch. You should time the shifts so that you are letting out the clutch as the needle is on it's way down; and it "lands" on the RPM for the next gear. Imagine that if someone were watching only the tach on a video, they shouldn't be able to tell whether you are driving a manual or automatic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.