Honda Could be Committing a Sin with the New Civic Type R
NEWS

1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Honda Could be Committing a Sin with the New Civic Type R

Honda Could be Committing a Sin with the New Civic Type R

The upcoming Honda Civic Type R will reportedly offer a continuously variable transmission (CVT) as an option.

The new comes to us from CivicX, citing a report in the November issue of CAR magazine, which includes an interview with senior Honda staff Mirsuru Kariya, Daisuke Tsutamori and Katsushi Inoue. Kariya is better known as the head engineer for the Civic line, while Tsutamori assumes the role of head designer. Inoue is the head of Honda in Europe, so the report seems to have credible sources.

In the interview, the three discuss some details on the 2018 Honda Civic Type R, which is heading to North America for the first time. Some things that have been confirmed is a limited-slip differential, a lower center of gravity compared to the standard Civic, and it will come in front-wheel drive only.

But most surprising is that accompanying the six-speed manual transmission will be a CVT that is said to be optimized for low-end acceleration.

Some may feel disappointed that Honda is opting for a CVT instead of a dual-cutch unit for its Type R, but CVT technology has come a long way and we’ll have to keep an open mind to see how it performs if and when it does arrive. The Type R has traditionally been exclusively available with a manual transmission, so the fact that an automatic is even being considered is sure to be seen as sacrilegious to many automotive enthusiasts.
    Read more about the Honda Could be Committing a Sin with the New Civic Type R at AutoGuide.com.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Platinum Member
    I mean, shouldn't the CVT, if done correctly, be faster than the standard? It can stay right in the powerband permanently.

Absolutely. Without having to release the accelerator and trigger the waste gate, the CVT will stay in boost consistently.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

very interesting indeed, this will just bring in more sales from non MT drivers, I personally wouldn't buy a CVT in that car, shifting that baby is all the fun, but that CVT will sell, there is definitely a market for it.

2013 Civic Si Coupe - Polished Metal Metallic

I dont mind if the type R is available with an AT. Its just smart to expand the market for this car so that people who want a fast car like the type R is supposed to be but can't drive MT will still be able to buy it. However, I don't think the AT option should be CVT it should be a more traditional 6 or 7 speed DCT like they use in acuras.
    '15 4dr EX cvt MSM
    '07 toyota camry XLE V6 silver
    '09 lexus RX350 gold

Past cars: '01 4dr EX A/T Silver-under new ownership

I'm curious to see how much power the cvt will be able to handle once people start throwing mods on the car. Only time will tell...
    RujoKinJal likes this.

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    Sure, an AT of some sort should be available. It's not like anyone will have a gun held to their head to buy it. Unless RC is the salesman.
    teamrubixcube likes this.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

SMH.... I just don't understand the logic behind AT in a sports car. Owning and driving a sports car should come with greater responsibility and exclusivity than the masses of dimwits driving A to B.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I have much greater respect for someone driving an Si or even an R18 MT, than a Lambo, Porsche, or Ferrari with an AT. Any schmuck with $100,000 can buy a sports car with AT and "be fast". I have NO respect for that.

The true spirit of racing and fast cars is found in MT.

Paddle shifters are a lame attempt to regain the "sporty factor" and controlling of ones vehicle.

Hate to sound so negative, but I feel passionate about this.
    K24Z7 CREW # 61719 (2012 Taffy Si Coupe)
    Flashpro (tuned by Vit)
    AEM CAI
    Ceramic coated RV6 catted DP
    Hasport 62A RMM and Upper mount
    Enkei RPF1's 17x9 + 45 (3mm front spacers)
    Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2 245/40-17
    Hybrid Racing shifter and cable bushings
    HFP suspension

Morimoto Elite HID 55w 5500K
    14' OEM 20mm Rear Sway Bar

CTE supercharger w/3.6" waiting for install!
    [Full Race catted DP and Full Race exhaust with added Vibrant ultra quiet resonator and Vibrant muffler swap] FOR SALE

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Civi9 View Post
    SMH.... I just don't understand the logic behind AT in a sports car. Owning and driving a sports car should come with greater responsibility and exclusivity than the masses of dimwits driving A to B.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I have much greater respect for someone driving an Si or even an R18 MT, than a Lambo, Porsche, or Ferrari with an AT. Any schmuck with $100,000 can buy a sports car with AT and "be fast". I have NO respect for that.

The true spirit of racing and fast cars is found in MT.

Paddle shifters are a lame attempt to regain the "sporty factor" and controlling of ones vehicle.

Hate to sound so negative, but I feel passionate about this.
    I completely agree with you. The other day I was waiting in a parking lot for my wife who was getting us some food (I was waiting with the dog in the car) and a guy got into his loud Camaro SS next to me with a rumbling exhaust that sounded aftermarket. As he pulled away relatively quickly onto the street I clearly heard that it was an automatic and I shook my head. A loud exhaust on an AT just sounds stupid IMO.

One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    Saw this link earlier today:
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/20...ormance-specs/
    320 HP, with MT, in 2019. Yet another varying story.

Honestly, when I bought my Si in 2013, I had dealers telling me the type R was coming out the following year.
    I stopped believing anything anyone said about the type R after that. I'll believe it when I see it, and it better have an MT option, otherwise people are going to be doing MT swaps and hurting their fingers. And that will be on Honda.
    2013 Civic Si Coupe (Rallye Red)
    Suspension mods:

Progress 24mm Rear sway bar
    Moog Bushings
    Moog greasable endlinks
    SPC adjustable rear camber arms
    Curt Trailer Hitch

Engine/Transmission Mods:

Hasport 62a Rear & Top Motor Mounts
    Clutch-delay valve delete
    Speed bleeder
    K&N engine air filter and cabin air filter
    Weighted shift knob
    MTEC Shifter Springs
    Vit Tune (in progress)

Electrical Mods:
    Viper 4806v Remote Start
    Hard-wired Dash cam
    PIAA headlights and yellow fogs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.