2017 Honda Civic Si Brings Turbo to the Table for the First Time
NEWS

1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: 2017 Honda Civic Si Brings Turbo to the Table for the First Time

2017 Honda Civic Si Brings Turbo to the Table for the First Time

Honda has taken to the internet to reveal the new 2017 Civic Si on its YouTube channel.

The new Si, which will be offered as a coupe or sedan, will be the first Si model to ever use a turboengine, with power coming from a turbocharged 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine making 205 horsepower at 5700 rpm and 192 lb-ft of torque from 2100-5000 rpm. The engine will send its power exclusively through a six-speed manual transmission.

Weight reduction and a more rigid body should help the Si’s lap times along with straight line speed, while upgraded steering with variable ratios, a sport-tuned suspension, an adaptive damper system and a helical limited-slip differential are all included. The brakes have been upgraded as well to 12.3-inch rotors in the front while a wider 235/40 R18 tire option will help the car stick.

In addition to the adaptive dampers, the suspension has stiffer springs, more rigid stabilizer bars and the same strong front upper control arms used in the Civic Type R.
    Read more about the 2017 Honda Civic Si Brings Turbo to the Table for the First Time at AutoGuide.com.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Big Timer!!!
    All the more reason not to sell my 2015

This is bittersweet. I don't feel the need to get rid of my 2012 FB6.

I disagree with Honda's replacement for displacement.
    Buddy Club N+ dampers (prototype)
    Buddy Club camber kit
    Buddy Club pulley kit
    Progress 24mm adjustable rear anti-sway bar
    Moog endlinks
    21mm front anti-sway bar
    FKX upper strut bar
    FKX front lower tie bar
    FKX X brace
    FKX trunk brace
    Beaks rear lower tie bar
    Spoon Rigid Collar Kit
    Wilwood Front BBK
    Throttle body spacer
    Hondata base map

Hidden Content
    14.7 sec 1/4 mile @ Auto Club Speedway, Fontana, CA

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jtsimaras View Post
    All the more reason not to sell my 2015
    OK, so the extra torque will be really nice and I'm sure dynamically the car will be better and a bit quicker. But, it's not enough of an improvement to move me away from my 2015 Si sedan. I actually prefer the look of my 2015 more anyway. OK, the interior of the 10th gen is a bit nicer but where are the red seats? I LOVE my red seats. Again, better but not enough to make me trade mine in. Now, if the new Si came with, say 230-250HP (stock) then I may be inclined to place the order for a 10th gen Si. (Type R is out of my price range comfort zone)
    sheheryar and sdpt94 like this.
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - G. Best
    9thGenCivic POP Crew #713
    2015 Civic Si 6mt
    2011 Hyundai IX35 5mt
    1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R 5mt
    No automatics allowed!

I wish money was a non-issue and Honda just made civics 1.5L turbo, civic si 1.8L turbo and civic type r 2.0L turbo.
    mar_k24 likes this.
    Hidden Content

IG: @MishkaCreates | Snap: @MishkaTheLlama

Naturally Aspirated
    Vit Tuned

Advan RZ 17x8.5 et31
    Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/45

Wheel Setup by FKX Racing

#Make9thGenGreatAgain
    #NeverForgetROTM
    #RIP_ROTM

Quote Originally Posted by nataspsi View Post
    This is bittersweet. I don't feel the need to get rid of my 2012 FB6.

I disagree with Honda's replacement for displacement.
    I agree with you, way to chicken shit for me...I like my good ole K24 too, its potential capability is by far higher.
    nataspsi and sheheryar like this.
    K24Z7 - Crew Member #373
    Si HFP - Club Member

14' Honda Civic Si Coupe HFP
    Truhart Sport Shocks
    D2 Racing Springs 2" Drop
    Skunk2-DP
    Vit-Viper Tuned
    Hawk Performance

not an SI owner but the 10th gen SI only has a 3 hp(?) increase from the 9th gen SI. Unless the 10th gen SI went on a drastic diet and lost a lot of weight compared to the 9th the performance differences (which is the only true reason to get an SI, for the performance upgrade from the standard civics) is practically nothing.
    sheheryar likes this.
    '15 4dr EX cvt MSM
    '07 toyota camry XLE V6 silver
    '09 lexus RX350 gold

Past cars: '01 4dr EX A/T Silver-under new ownership

Quote Originally Posted by ampm1678 View Post
    not an SI owner but the 10th gen SI only has a 3 hp(?) increase from the 9th gen SI. Unless the 10th gen SI went on a drastic diet and lost a lot of weight compared to the 9th the performance differences (which is the only true reason to get an SI, for the performance upgrade from the standard civics) is practically nothing.
    It's actually a 0hp increase. Makes me wonder if the power rating is a little overrated to make sure it doesn't have less power than the older cars. I'm wondering if Honda will amend their "fastest Si ever" claim to mean fastest around a track because it will handle so much better than our cars.
    2013 DBP Si Coupe

If this follows suite with the other 1.5T models.. the power might be underrated. I'm sure with a proper tune from Vit, and some other goodies... it could be pretty fast.

It still won't have no where near the potential as prior the generation Si's. Quite sad IMO. Overall, no real reason to purchase the new SI when I could just dump 4K and get a FI set up with a better platform (Displacement Wise). To each their own I suppose.

Still a nice car..
    nataspsi likes this.

Greenhorn
    I bet it's a bit underrated, as some of the 16's were... and with a tune, these cars would max in a straight line something pretty close to a Type-R. Not hard to plateau in straight line performance on a FWD platform as you hit diminishing returns quickly, and the SI will already have a LSD. Not that straight line has ever been the car's strong suit.

As to whether or not that could be done and it make reliable power for 100k or 200k miles, who knows. These new 1.5Ts are likely quite robust in the stock form as I'm sure they've run them for a pile of miles in a lab, but pushing them out towards 1.5-2 hp/liter... who knows? I wouldn't do it without the platform maturing, but I don't tend to 'play' with new things. The K-series is mature to the point there aren't any surprises w/it. When I look at the K24 in the Civic, It's very reminiscent to the K20 my RSX had.

I bet a midcycle refresh in 2-3 years will see a bump in power with the same powertrain if it has minimal issues in that time to make it more appealing. It's not that it's much less powerful, but it has a *lot* less torque than a GTI or Focus ST and you can't wind this one out to get high HP numbers. It's been stated when compared to the 9th gen, the 10th gen makes peak power something like 1300 RPM earlier. Well... yeah, it has to. I think 6k is it's redline. As much of the performance bargain as it is, big power/torque numbers with low acceleration numbers sells cars when folks want a quick car. Most of the response online w/the info Honda released has been lukewarm at best. Even when the torque figure came out, you knew the HP numbers weren't going to be that great unless it revved quite a bit higher than the other models.

Still, I can thrash my Civic all day long and as good as it is, nothing is like putting my foot to the floor in my Z in 3rd in 50 and getting pushed back in my seat to 100+. I was looking at seeing if this Civic was a good replacement for the current '15 SI I have but it looks like unless I go all in and get it tuned right off the bat, it won't be much better than what I already have... and I'll have to throw another 6k or so past a trade to get into one. Will definitely try on out once they're at the dealer. Maybe there'll be a lot more to it than low-ish numbers. I really wanted it to be a lot better and feel confident that trading in the '15 would be a big step up. Doesn't seem so anymore.
    sheheryar likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.