9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Damage to Rear Bumper: Need help

4K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  a2001potodyssey 
#1 ·
So my 2014 Honda Civic LX Sedan was rear ended. I went to the dealership and they said it'll cost me from 3 to 5 grand which I think is a bit pricey for a Honda (How does a bumper and trunk cost a quarter price of my actual car?). I was thinking of going to a scrap yard or ordering my own parts online and paying for installation somewhere separately. Would parts I order see a significant reduction in quality or anything of the sort. Or should I just shill out the money?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Were you in a traffic accident, or was the car parked and no witnesses? If the former, the driver who hit you is fully responsible. If the latter, I can see how you would have to shell out.

#5 ·
How does your insurance work? My insurance I pay a deductible for repairs on a hit and run. What is the point of having insurance if they don't cover you for hit and run. Anyways the damage could be more than skin deep meaning frame may need repairs which would increase costs also Honda is probably using OEM parts which would cost more.

#9 ·
Definitely check around at a couple of highly rated body shops before going to the dealership.
My car was recently rear-ended as well, although with much less damage (confined only to the bumper).
Even though the impact was like at less than 2 mph, when they took off my rear bumper, they discovered that I needed a new absorber in addition to the scratch repair to the exterior bumper cover. That added a bit to the cost, and it appears from pictures you may need 1 or 2 as well, although of course they won't know until they dig into it.
My total repair cost about $800. Even at 3x that, it seems like $2400 should pretty much cover what you need done. Hard to see where they came out with your quoted amount.

#10 ·
It's not just a trunk and a bumper. The trunk flange is bent, meaning that it won't seal in the rain. It takes some skill and some time to bend that back out to where it needs to be. That's the route of your cost; not the parts alone. The parts and paint are probably <$2000, maybe $3000 if it's a dealer. The other $2k is bending out the unibody and welding it back together if it's too deformed to bend back.

#12 ·
If you don't already have one, find a shop that you trust and does good work. Them taking care of all the paperwork is a big plus, as well. A shop was recommended to me years ago, and I won't go anywhere else.

#13 · (Edited)
Just use your insurance. As others have said you don't know if there is more damage than you can see. Things can rack up very quickly. I once had a mazdaspeed3 that was mainly my wifes car and it went from 3000 in damages to over 7000 once the body shop started taking things off and really looked at the damage to my speed3. They found alot of structural damage. Also if it was in a parking lot, see if the place you were at had a camera that could of seen who did it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.