9th Gen Civic Forum banner

DIY: Reverse / Rear Back up Camera - HEAVY PICS

279K views 279 replies 91 participants last post by  wtfluis 
#1 · (Edited)
Disclaimer

9thgencivic.com may or may not endorse various DIY projects, all DIY projects are purely "at your own risk". If you are at all uncomfortable or inexperienced working on vehicles (especially electronics and mechanical), please reconsider doing the job yourself. It is possible on any DIY to damage your car, void your factory warranty, disable a safety feature, create a hazardous condition, or harm or even kill yourself or others. Examples would be the vehicle failing on you, getting an electric shock, or disabling an airbag etc.

Your dealer or mechanic, or professional audio shop may provide services (and a warranty) for any DIY job posted on these forums. Sometimes, it’s just better to pay to have it done.

FAQs

Q: Is this DIY for all civics?
A: This DIY is for civics with iMids without Navigation. (Need confirmation on SIs)

Q: Whats the difference between Non-Si and Si iMids?
A: The SI's iMid screen display an additional info screen which is not confirm on which connector input is used

Q: Does this camera that you link us fit a sedan?
A: Yes, it will fit both Sedan and Coupe.

Q: Where are the pins to connect?
A: The pins to order is under Project Parts. They will be in the Prep-Work Instruction.

Q: Will I need a soldering iron or solder anything?
A: No, there will not be any soldering needed.

Q: Do I need to take off the rear deck lid on my Civic Sedan to remove the light cover?
A: Yes you do, instructions are under Sedan Models Only. This does not relevant to Coupes.

Q: How much did this project cost?

A: Depends on how much of the tools you have already. Order the requiring Parts will be about $33.

Tools

Required:

- Black / Electrical Tape
- 20 Zip ties
- Wire cutter
- Utility Knife
- Medium Phillips Screwdriver
- Small / Jewelers Flat-head Screwdriver
- Trim Removing Tools
- Extra wire or tug wire
- Power Hand Drill
- Drill bits sizes 1/16 to 1/4

Recommended:

- Wire strippers
- Wire connectors (Marettes)
- Needle nose pliers

Project Parts

Required:

Reverse Camera -2012 Reverse CRV/CIVIC Back up Camera
Part Link - 7500K Xenon White LED CRV Fit 09 Civic Honda Car Mirror Rearview Camera P7512W | eBay
Cost: $19.00USD + Free Shipping
Shipping /Receiving Time: 7-15 business days
Comment(s): One of the issue I ran across as several other that when installed, the top of the camera view seems to cut off. So the linked one is one of the cheapest, has guide lines, and easiest to modify lower without getting to messy. There are several cameras on ebay that is similar to this one without guideline, whiter light, etc.
Note: When ordering, request 6000k LEDs

Wire - 50ft 22 AWG Gauge Stranded Copper
Part Link - 50 ft 22 AWG Gauge Zip Wire Red Black Stranded Copper Power Ground | eBay
Cost: $9.92USD + Free Shipping
Shipping /Receiving Time: 3-7 business days
Comment(s): Any wire gauge from 20+/-2 (18-22) will work; Just make sure it is stranded to reduce wire heat and less surge. There is also plenty of cheaper one from overseas but I ordered from this seller several times.
Note:

Pins - White 12 SMD LED Car Interior Festoon Light Lamp Panel T10 Dome BA9S Adapter 12V
Part Link - White 12 SMD LED Car Interior Festoon Light Lamp Panel T10 Dome BA9S Adapter 12V | eBay
Cost: $2.49USD + Free Shipping
Shipping/Receiving Time: 7-15 business days
Comment(s): You will be taking apart the adapters for 4 of the pins
Note: You can use the dome adapter for the 12smd LED for rear dome lights.

Recommended:

Wire Tap –
Posi-Tap
Part Link - Best Wire Tap Connector Posi Tap No Tools Strong Better Faster | eBay
Cost: $6.29USD + $6.00USD Shipping
Shipping /Receiving Time: 3-7 business days
Comment(s): This is not necessary to have but it will prevent you to cut or splice any wires so consider it as a fail-safe item. I recommend those who don’t work with wires often to purchase some sort of tap.
Note: Request the seller you want the red ones (18-24 gauged).
Note2: There are several different taps on ebay cheaper than this from $3.00USD - $7.00USD shipped. Just search wire tap and make sure it is red (18-24 gauged)

Prep Work

Step 1 – Pins

You should have received 3 adapters with the 12SMD LED. You will need all three adapters for this project and disregard the 12SMD LED board.

Using the wire cutter, cut the two adapters as exactly shown (yellow line).

Take a small wedge (Jeweler Screwdriver or Utility knife) to unlock the pins of the two adapters from their socket (yellow circle). You should end up with two pairs of pins (circle blue) total of 4 pins.

Step 2 – LED T10 Adapter

Using the wire cutter, cut the last adapter as exactly

Connect this adapter to the end led wire of the camera as shown

Cover the exposed wire ends with electrical tape. It should look as shown below.

This will be plugged into the T10 socket in the trunk for your license plate LED

Step 3 – RCA Cable

You should have received a yellow extension RCA Cable with the camera. Using wire cutter and tear down one end of the cable (ignore the tiny red wire hanging out). I used a white RCA cable that was in my cable box. Your progression should look like the next following 3 pictures below.

Your RCA cable ends should look like below.

Step 4 – Camera
Using a Phillips screwdriver, unscrew the 4 screws in the back.

You will disassemble the camera taking everything out. Move the metal piece downward and use it as a template (outlined in yellow), mark the areas furthest to the bottom of the camera housing (outlined in red)

Note: The LED is held in by resin and is not necessary to be taken out. I personally wanted different LEDs in there.

Be very careful at this step, drill slowly and accurately. The plastic will crack or melt if done to fast. Take the power drill with a 1/16 bit and drill the small holes for the screws. After verifying the screws fit, take an adequate drill bit size and bore out an area for the camera wire can go through. Should look like below after you are done.

You can seal off the front hole with layers electrical tape. I did mine with vinyl tape and plasti dip to add some weather resist strength.

After the hole is covered to the way you like it. Reassemble everything back together and the camera should sit similar to this.

Doing this step will lower the camera enough to prevent the 1/3 top cut off but still be concealed.

**Sedan Models Only**

There will be 1 bolt and 2 screw (circled in red). Unbolt the 10mm bolt on the right side of the trunk picture. To release the tabs, use pliers to squeeze the two tabs and push up. Make sure you are lifting up a little on the emblem piece. The last clip will be little hard to get to.

-Special thanks to mstarkey999 for providing the sedan pictures-

The 10mm bolt is on the left of the trim.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Trunk Installation

Open the trunk. On the inside, remove the wire by pressing down on the clip (blue arrow is pointing). Then pinch together the sides of grey bulb holder to remove that piece (red arrow is pointing).

On the inside of the trunk, push the clip (red arrow is pointing) to release the housing. You will take it out from the other side. Please reference “Sedan Only” from above on how to remove the rear trunk trim.

Take the camera that was completed during the prep work and pull the wires from the outside through the hole and plug the 168 end into the grey housing.

The camera is installed exactly like the OEM housing by sliding in one side and click to on lock on the other side. Secure with zip ties the bulb holder accordingly. And should look like this.

Pull through the video and power wires along the left side where the other wires run into the trunk. Secure with zip ties accordingly.

Connect the VGA that was prep before and the red power cable. Run them both down the trunk arm with the rest of the cables the. Secure with zip ties accordingly.

Remove the three tabs (red circle) open the trunk liner.

Then unplug left reverse light connector wire and tap the camera power into that. I spliced mine since I’m more confident and experienced to not cut all the way but I would highly recommend using a wire tap at this part.

Tap one more wire to the power as shown below in the diagram. Before you start running the wires, make sure you know which one is for video/shield and which is for reverse signal. There will be two pairs of wires you will be running total of 4 wires but only 3 is needed. You can split one of the wires if needed. I left it to avoid running another wire on future projects.

With that in mind, wire it to the front through the back to the front behind and under the liners and trims. It varies between coupe and sedan models but you can tuck the wires under the left foot side trim.

#6 ·
-Reserved for more instructions- I will post up the installation part on Wednesday Night while everyone gets their Parts and Tools together.
Bought all what you recommended :) I'm ready! Soldering iron in hand :)

#3 · (Edited)
Dash Removal Instructions

OrbisTheory - 2012 Honda Civic SI - How To Remove The Dashboard

The entire dashboard comes apart in three separate pieces (highlighted in image). The lower section (red) is held on entirely with clips. The middle section (green) is also held on entirely with clips, but there are two connectors (or possible more with other models) that must be disconnected. The third, upper section (blue) requires the removal of three screws and then can be unclipped.

I would recommend starting along the edges marked with arrows. Particularly, the left hand side seems the easiest to pull the clips out. The pull takes some getting used to - but it literally requires pulling on the section of dash until it breaks out of the clips. In all likelihood, some will break during this process. I wouldn't worry too much about it - there are so many (which can be moved around, too) that the panel should stay fairly tight...even if you lost a few clips in the process.
When pulling the dash off, I would HIGHLY recommend that you don't use absolute brute force. Try grabbing parts of the panel and wiggling it, bending it some, or otherwise "working" the clips out.
The clips for this piece are entirely around the edges. The most difficult ones, I found, are the upper corners on either side of the steering column. You may need to reach up under the panel and try pushing/wiggling back there.

You can see in the image above some of the clip positions for the lower section.

The middle section is also entirely clips, except for two wire connectors on each side. I'd recommend starting on the left side and working your way across the top and the bottom. The clips on the right (near the nav in the image) can be tough. Remember; try not to just pull with brute force. Try to "work" the clips out. Note that both wire connectors are in with clips, but are fairly easy to remove. Push the tab and pull.

Above shows SOME of the clip positions (enough to get started).
The upper section is the most difficult to remove. The right side has many clips in a relatively small location, and it is difficult to get a grip in this area. First, unscrew the three screws marked below. You do not need to remove any of the screws holding the tachometer. Only the three marked below.

I would HIGHLY recommend putting tape on the bottom corner of the driver's side tweeter. The fit to get the upper piece out is very tight (and consequently, getting it back in). Pay attention when removing it to see the easiest way to swing the piece out. You're going to want to put it back in the same way.

Per usual, not every clip has been marked above. Note that there are clips directly at the bottom of the IMID and speedometer. The right side is difficult to remove as there are many clips close to each other and no good grip spot. Also, and this is important, there are clips along the top edge near the windshield. You may need to work between the bottom and the clips in this area. The clips aren't necessarily angled up, so the direction of pull is closer to pulling straight out, away from the dash components.

Front Installation

After the dash has been removed, continue to run the wires upwards and through the dash (wire in red)

Continue to run the wires it behind the steering wheel but make sure that the wires don’t hinder the steering wheel from making adjustments in the future. Pull it through and upwards as the picture show (red lines)

Over all view the wires should have ran through the dash something like this. Don’t forget to zip tie and secure the wires.

Now that you have your wires set. Remove the iMid from the dash by unscrewing 4 screws as shown (red circle) and unclipping 3 connectors (blue circle)

After your iMid is removed, look at the 32Ppin connector and you will see a black piece on the connector. Take a tiny screwdriver and wedge it in the grove to pop it out. It does not come off so don’t try to pull it out. Take three pins you made before and insert them into the 32pin connector pin slow 14 18 19.

The pin’s openings are going to be seen where it is marked below. Once you see the pins on all three, you can push back the pin lock to secure them. You can align them with a paperclip if needed.

Reconnect the 32P Connector and put into reverse to test. If it doesn’t come on, double check one of the starting with the pin seated correctly and not being pushed back when connected, then the cable connection from the camera then the spliced/tapped wire connection. If that of this is perfect then you may have popped a fuse but it is highly unlikely if you use tappers.
Double check all wires that they are not exposed and are secured. Reverse instruction and reinstall the iMid, dash panel, trunk liner, etc.

Yellow Grid line Adjustment

This should work on all 9th Gen Civics with the i-MID display...

Press the MENU button on the steering wheel to access the vehicle menu:

Then press and hold SELECT and MENU at the same time for approx 20 seconds. You should then get the Service Diag Menu

Adjust Reversing Camera gridlines.

Keep asking questions as I will add them to the FAQ for future references. I hope this was a decent DIY, if so I will do more in the future.

AFTER SPENDING NEARLY 100 HOURS TO WORK AND PERFECT EVERYTHING IN THIS DIY, PLEASE THANK ADEXTERNAL AND MANY OTHERS FOR MAKING THIS A TEAM EFFORT!!!

GO 9THGENCIVIC.COM!!!!!!

#73 ·
Hahaha good one!!! Almost at. 100 now LOL

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

#10 ·
great idea! And are you going to be placing pictures and what not step by step as to how it will be done?

#24 ·
i use a set of Klien strippers. When you are dealing with anywhere down from #18 AWG, it's hard to strip nicely with a wire cutter/knife. A good set of wire strippers will last you a life time :)

#25 · (Edited)
#26 ·
I'll be soldering my connections and put up pictures when I do. Soldering, for me, is the most reliable way of making connections. I will be ordering all the required materials tongiht when I get home. Can't get on ebay at work :( SO EXCITED to do this!
:rock:
Same! Esspecially since it's like under $50! Honda offers it in the CRV for a $560 upgrade!! HAHAHA!

#28 ·
i highly doubt this! Nobody would remove their emblems just to get at the little LED's :dry:

i don't think at least haha

#35 ·
ADex, great work so far. Thanks a bunch. I've got a tangent question, though. A number of us want to add a temp sensor to our LXs so we get temp on our imid. See this thread: http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/9th-gen-civic-general-chat/1433-enable-outside-temp-civic-lx.html
I want to do both at the same time while I have the dash open. We seem to have one unanswered question that you might be able to help. It seems the temp sensor needs to be plugged into the tach cluster, but we are unsure what kind of pin is required. We've speculated that it would be the same as the pin used to connect the backup camera to the imid. Did you get a look at the tach cluster? Does the part we order for pins for this project have extra pins to try on the temp, or do we need to order more?

Thanks

#36 ·
ADex, great work so far. Thanks a bunch. I've got a tangent question, though. A number of us want to add a temp sensor to our LXs so we get temp on our imid. See this thread: http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/9th-gen-civic-general-chat/1433-enable-outside-temp-civic-lx.html
I want to do both at the same time while I have the dash open. We seem to have one unanswered question that you might be able to help. It seems the temp sensor needs to be plugged into the tach cluster, but we are unsure what kind of pin is required. We've speculated that it would be the same as the pin used to connect the backup camera to the imid. Did you get a look at the tach cluster? Does the part we order for pins for this project have extra pins to try on the temp, or do we need to order more?

Thanks
I actually just got home from 11 hours of school, but working on the next part of the DIY at the moment. For the temp signal, it would be either pin 15 or 31. My theory would be that it is connected to another module that feeds the constant info to either one of those two pins. For this project, you will use only 3 pins so will end up with one pin left over.

#43 ·
Lol, no problem. Whenever I do a project, I always first think of cost effective. Whatever the dealership offers to do it for, I try to aim for only 10-20% of that price. :)

Somebody mention that it is plug and play. No Module needed...
I meant the cpu/module that is feeding the iMid the MPG, oil level, etc I believe one of those two pin is connected to that. So if you buy a temp sensor and connect to that which is automatically send the info signal to the iMid providing the the temp. No the case if it will enable that feature depends on the if theres a setting you can change which is done usually by a CD and button combo from non navi cars.

#44 ·
To clear up some of the confusion about the temp sensor:
Alien Prime, go and read the thread I linked. We've got the hardware piece figured out, right down to the part numbers for what to order. Also, it seems the question of where to plug the feed is resolved as well (the tach cluster, C235). The only open question is what exact pins are needed to plug the sensor wire into C235. When I get the parts for the project and that project I will take on the responsibility of posting a DIY for the temps sensor, assuming I am successful of course.