9th Gen Civic Forum banner

2014 EX - What can I do WITHOUT the HDMI cable?

11K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  niki 
#1 ·
I am picking up a new EX tomorrow and I am unsure of whether I would like to purchase the HondaLink Nav or wait to see if Carplay becomes available. If I do not buy the Lightning digital video adapter, what do I lose? Can I still make use of Aha and the other apps (besides nav)? Will Siri still work via bluetooth? I am having trouble finding info online.....thanks in advance for the help.

#2 ·
You don't get to use the Aha apps (HondaLink) or mirror whatever is on the screen of your iPhone. You do get Siri over Bluetooth, as long as you hold down the speak button to activate Siri. You can buy the adapter at Amazon or Best Buy. I'm sure it's cheaper than what the dealer sells it for.
I've had my Si for about 2 months now and have never used the Aha apps. Waiting patiently for Carplay.. hopefully one day. I do use the heck out of the Bluetooth feature for calls, messaging and music stream. I'm probably missing other features, but that's the gist of it.

HondaLink Next Generation | HondaLink | Honda Owners Site

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I am struggling to think of what I would want to mirror on the big screen besides navgiation. :) So I can stream Pandora through bluetooth? And technically, I can stream Sirius through Bluetooth and not hookup my aftermartket Sirius unit?

#4 · (Edited)
Yes, Pandora (including cover art) will work over bluetooth. You can also give thumbs up and thumbs down feedback using the touch screen in the EX.

Also, using siri (activated on the steering wheel) you can do lots of voice commands to control itunes. This includes the custom iTunes Radio stations (these are a lot like pandora stations if you haven't used them yet).

I never really played with Siri until I got my EX. You can use it to read you incoming text messages over the bluetooth connection, dictate outgoing text messages, initiate navigation, take quick notes, set up reminders, check stocks, etc. In the car, siri seems genuinely useful to me, not just gimmicky.

I am really hoping for Carplay soon too. I just wish that they would support Waze over Carplay, but I don't see that happening.

#5 ·
Sorry, I should have been a little clear. Pandora is the music service that you can stream over Bluetooth. At least for now, unless any future updates include more. I don't recall seeing any other Music apps. I'd have to go out and check. So Sirius might be out of the question, unless it's built into the car..you can always call Sirius and add it. (Probably an extra charge) I have an old iPhone that I have connected into the USB port that is in the console and just let it shuffle through my albums. (Kind of a "set it and forget it" deal)
I was told you can stream movies, YouTube, stuff like that as long as the car is not in motion. Which is why I haven't gone crazy and purchased the HDMI adapter.
If you want, I can update this thread later tonight with what is on there unless someone else chimes in and fills you in.

#6 · (Edited)
Yeah pretty much any music app will stream over bluetooth. However, pandora is the only one with a "rich" experience. The other apps will just look like generic audio sources, letting you skip to the next song, etc. I have used iTunes, Pandora and Rhapsody over Bluetooth, so I can confirm all of those at a minimum.

Right now, I don't see any real value in getting an HDMI cable plus an adapter for the special "hondalink" apps. I'll just wait for Carplay that only requires the usb connection.

#8 ·
So I picked up my civic today. While driving I asked Siri for directions and she started giving audio directions through the car speakers via Bluetooth. So that's half way there. :) now if there were just some way to mirror the device while the car is in motion....

#9 ·
Congrats on the new civic!!
If you do a search for the car in motion idea, i think you'll be disappointed. From what i partially remember reading, it's not tied to the completely to the ebrake. I think there's a motion gyro somewhere?? Don't quote me on that though ha!! Enjoy your new ride!

#13 ·
I just purchased the iOS Cable Kit...kinda... I bought the adapter at radio shack, and a small HDMI and just used my existing lighting to USB cable. It's kind of cool... but the Navigation App is downright awful, sort of what I bought the cable for...also, just can't seem to get the Text Messaging feature to work...any hints?

#14 ·
Can anyone tell me why I can't use the Pandora 'app' on my in-dash screen? The only way I can use Pandora is if it plays through my phone via Bluetooth. When I push the Pandora button it says I have to check my phone settings, but everything is all set up and ready to go. Does it need to be hooked up via that HDMI adapter in order to ue that Pandora button on the screen?

This is all through an iPhone 6 with the latest software and a '15 Civic EX-L, btw. Thanks in advance!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.