LX Coupe Rear deck speaker replacement FAIL :( Kind of
NEWS

1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: LX Coupe Rear deck speaker replacement FAIL :( Kind of

LX Coupe Rear deck speaker replacement FAIL :( Kind of

So I looked around and found a lot of info in how to replace the rear speakers on the sedans but only a few references to the coupe and most saying " not worth the effort" . I think I will add my voice to that chorus, for 2 reasons, rear airbags, trunk torsion bars.

While I would not consider myself anywhere near an expert i would say I am an experienced amateur in car audio. I have installed about 6 full systems in different types of cars and trucks, including a 14 speaker 3 amplifier system with 21 band EQ and sound sensitive lighting in a camaro. Oh what we do in HS that we think is cool

In all honesty the coupe's rear speakers would have fallen somewhere in the middle of the difficulty spectrum, if not for 2 what I will call design flaws, the trunk torsion bars, and the rear airbags.

I looked at posts for the 8th gen civic and it seemed easy, just pop a few plastic clips from inside the trunk, lift up, slide forward. I found the clips and the retainers easy enough but when I pulled , nothing moved, hmm. time to do some examining of the interior panels.

I found that the upper panel that ran to the rear and against the back window over lapped and connected to the rear deck. Ok that panel has to come out, no problem. Found the screw that held it in under the clothes hook. removed that and started popping the plastic retainers like any other panel.

Until I got to the rear air bag. Now maybe there is a way to detach the emblem from the interior panel but I could not figure it out, this meant that the section of headliner with the rear airbag emblem got creased when I detached the rear section of the panel - FAIL ! hopefully with a little heat the wrinkle and crease will return to its normal shape, On an older car it would not tick me off , but I have had my car for 6 days, and now it does not look new anymore

Once both sides were dangling from the airbag emblem, I was able to remove the rear deck.

The factory speakers were simple to remove, unplug, take out the 8mm bolt and slide out the speakers.

I was replacing them with Alpine 610 s-type 2-ways. I knew the mounting depth would be an issue but the speakers came with mounting rings that lifted them almost as high as the OEM speakers, and if I lined up the OEM bolt hole with a specif hole in the universal mounting ring I could use the included quick clips on the square hose from the OEM mounts.

Alright now I was getting somewhere. But no matter how I angled or maneuvered the speakers they just would not sit flush, what the heck was going on ?

Now if you have ever looked at the OEM speakers you will notice the magnet is TINY. The magnets on my Alpines were significantly bigger, so big they were hitting the torsion bars for the rear trunk, seriously who designed this thing, the bars run right underneath the speaker mount !

This is where I hit my moment of truth/no return. I am either going to put the OEM speakers back in, or remove the torsion bars. Being frustrated and determined - as well as possibly quite foolish, I removed the torsion bars, mounted the speakers and re-installed the rear deck and interior panels.

So now I have new speakers, yeah - but I also have wrinkles in my headliner and my trunk won't stay open by itself

I think I can re-engineer the torsion bars, add a bit of a bend to go around the speaker magnets, because I am not sure i can deal with the trunk slamming shut.

Well that is my tale, hopefully the fronts are simpler. Feel free to criticize, laugh at or sympathize with my adventure.

I will update in the future as to whether the wrinkles go away.
    burke762 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Big Pimping!!!
    Holy shit what an ordeal, damn I feel for ya man!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Platinum Member
    Been there, done that. This is primarily why when user ask to redo the audio system, I say leave it to others for DIY or professionals instead. My Galant engineering is the exact same way. I had to angle my rear speakers (alphine also) with spacers so it wouldn't hit the torsion bar as well. Definitely feel your pain for this case. My recommendation is to find another set of speakers as I also thought about redoing the torsion bar and its whole lot more effort trying to make a new one then getting new speakers. As for the wrinkles, if it doesnt go away on its own, you could use a steamer to straighten it out.
    Good luck!

On the 8th I have seen where people have removed the torsion bar and replaced it with a hood or hatch support strut. I will see if I can find a link for you.
    2012 civic EX sedan- exterior- si axleback, injen cai, r18 heatshield,
    flipped license plate, hids, all leds, carbon fiber wrapped grill, jdm H's
    interior- too much to list...

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/do-yo...sion-bars.html

Here's one of a few so you get an idea.
    2012 civic EX sedan- exterior- si axleback, injen cai, r18 heatshield,
    flipped license plate, hids, all leds, carbon fiber wrapped grill, jdm H's
    interior- too much to list...

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by creation View Post
    I remember I was told about this before but because the Galant trunk was weird, doing this was not worth the effort. I have yet to look at the trunk for our 9th gen but hopefully its do able like the 8th. Thanks for the idea Creations.

Thanks for the link, looks very doable and less work than re-shaping the torsion bars. I knew I couldn't be the first with this issue. Those darn air bag emblems though really piss me off. If not for those I would have considered this a successful install because I was pretty confident there would be a relatively straight forward fix for the torsion bars.

Overall this was still not the royal PITA that putting a system into my old Mitsu 3000GT was. now that was an adventure

One Bad Mama Jama!!! StevieOntario's Avatar
    You should have listened to the "it's not worth it"
    Engine Assembler - Honda Of Canada Mfg.
    Alliston, ON

Home of the Civic & C-RV!

One Bad Mama Jama!!! bamathrasher's Avatar
    Sucks you had to go through all of that, I hope the reward was worth it, I don't know if the speakers are different in the Si compared to the LX, but I'm satisfied with the OEM audio setup in my Si Sedan, and Im kind of an audiophile. It sucks to hear that Honda basically "blocked" people from swapping out speakers, that is something that is pretty universal with any car, owners will swap the components for something to their liking.

The thing with DIY is you have to be willing to replace anything that gets broken along the way, and usually, it's still cheaper than paying someone to do it for you, so I say good job man.
    2012 TW Si Sedan - Sold and missed 4/5/2013

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bamathrasher View Post
    Sucks you had to go through all of that, I hope the reward was worth it, I don't know if the speakers are different in the Si compared to the LX, but I'm satisfied with the OEM audio setup in my Si Sedan, and Im kind of an audiophile. It sucks to hear that Honda basically "blocked" people from swapping out speakers, that is something that is pretty universal with any car, owners will swap the components for something to their liking.

The thing with DIY is you have to be willing to replace anything that gets broken along the way, and usually, it's still cheaper than paying someone to do it for you, so I say good job man.
    The Si has the 360-Watt AM/FM/CD Premium Audio System with 7 Speakers including Sub woofer while the LX has the 160-Watt AM/FM/CD Audio System with 6 Speakers

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.