iPhone 5 stock USB compatibility? Has anyone (pre)ordered one?
NEWS

1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: iPhone 5 stock USB compatibility? Has anyone (pre)ordered one?

iPhone 5 stock USB compatibility? Has anyone (pre)ordered one?

Here's something interesting I read on engadget.com ( iPhone 5 review -- Engadget )

Superficially, it's hitting all the right marks, but Lightning comes up short in a number of important areas. It is, of course, incompatible with the roughly 350 million billion iPhone and iPod accessories currently on the market -- a problem mostly rectified by a $30 adapter. But, that's not a perfect solution, as even that won't support iPod Out, the specification used in some cars (most notably BMW and Mini) to enable in-dash control of an iPod or iPhone.
    That's an admittedly low number of users left with no way forward, as the adapter will provide the power and analog audio that the vast majority of docks and accessories (and cars) in the world need, but it's still disappointing to see those automotive users, owners of some of the most expensive iPod docks on the planet, left out in the cold.

So does anyone have one, or will have one and will be willing to test this out? :\

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

iPod Out was a specific function that displays the iPod screen on the in-car dash. It only exists on BMW and Mini.

You can still use it with your Civic.
    Alabaster Silver 2012 Civic LX Coupe.

Seriously, how can I get the iphone 4gs to sync up through the usb? It says it is not supported. But it works very good with the blue tooth, but album info.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocopanda View Post
    Seriously, how can I get the iphone 4gs to sync up through the usb? It says it is not supported. But it works very good with the blue tooth, but album info.
    There's a few threads on this and I don't remember all the details. I have a 4 and mine works fine with the iPod. Pandora's a little sketchy but the iPod works. Try finding those threads. I'm not trying to be a dick I just don't remember.

As for the op. I don't think we have much to worry about as its been said our cars aren't that sophisticated so we should be ok. This is why I don't stand in line to get the newest gadget tho. There's always bugs in the first release. Give it a couple months and it should be smoothed out.
    Trinatek likes this.
    2001 EM2 (Clover Green Pearl) - Sold
    2012 FG3 (Polished Metal Metallic)

R18 Crew Member #970
    9thgen Northeast Crew #13

I did some additional research, and I think we'll be fine. I think all the issues were indeed only to do with those vehicles and devices that would require the Lighting to 30-pin connector--in other words, cars and devices that only have a 30-pin iPod-in cable (but ours has a USB in for our iPods).

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'll update the OP once I get my iPhone 5 in October and know for sure.

I am anticipating no issues getting the iPhone 5 to play nice in our cars. The Lightning port is still able to transmit data along with the audio, so the song info and album art should work just as they do with the previous iPhone versions. I'm on the fence about dumping AT&T for Verizon before I upgrade from my iPhone 4. I'd love for someone else to get one before me and test it out LOL

We should be fine. I'm getting mine delivered the 28th so I'll let you know then!
    Last edited by dpzlilfrank14; 09-20-2012 at 07:11 PM.
    Trinatek likes this.
    Twitter: @FrankBertelle
    Instagram: @FrankBertelle

'12 CBP LX Coupe.

FG3 Squad #14
    R18 Crew Member #1631
    9th Gen Northeast Crew #14
    9th Gen NYC Crew #14
    9th Civic Long Island Crew #2

Big Pimping!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dpzlilfrank14 View Post
    We should be fine. I'm getting mind delivered the 28th so I'll let you know then!
    Yeah update us, curious about this as well!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

I should be getting mine tomorrow so I'll def let you guys know. I generally don't use my iphone4 to play music from. I have a separate iPod nano with just music stored on it and just leave it in the car. I don't expect any problems though. I think too many people are speculating on this new connector stuff and blowing it out of proportion. That's just me though.

I should have mine before 3pm tomorrow, will report shortly after!
    2012 Honda Civic LX Sedan
    Polished Metal Metallic

FB2 #50

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.