SCCA Solo - STF and STX Classes
NEWS

1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: SCCA Solo - STF and STX Classes

SCCA Solo - STF and STX Classes

Modders, merge if necessary...

Breakdown (as taken from the SOLO Rules):

The Street Touring category provides a natural competition outlet for auto enthusiasts using affordable sports cars and sedans equipped with common suspension and engine modifications compatible with street use.

Some notable modifications that separate Street Touring from Street are the following:

• Street only allows one substitution, addition, or removal of a single anti-roll bar
    • Street only allows suspension adjustments of factory adjustment arrangement (implying no camber arms/plates)
    • Street does not allow any changes to electronic engine management system (no ECU tuning)
    • Street only allows replacement or removal of air filter element, but the air filter system itself must be O.E. (no ram/cold air intake)
    • Street only allows exhaust modifications after the catalytic converter; if the catalytic converter is replaced it must be O.E.

• Street Touring allows replacing driver and/or passenger seat provided the seating surface is fully upholstered and the seat+mounting unit altogether weighs at least 25 lb
    • Street Touring allows substitution, addition, or removal of any roll-bars
    • Street Touring allows adjustable camber arms and camber plates
    • Street Touring allows relocation and replacement of battery (can be any weight but must put out same voltage as O.E. battery)
    • Street Touring allows reprogrammed ECU and changing of VTEC crossover point
    • Street Touring only allows air intake modifications up to the throttle body (yes to ram/cold air intakes, but no mods to throttle body, intake manifold, no port-matching, no thermal gaskets, etc)
    • Street Touring allows the rolling (but not flaring) of fenders for additional tire clearance
    • Street Touring allows modded exhaust headers (or in our case down-pipe) and catalytic converts provided the catalytic converter have a minimum catalyst density of 100 cells per inch, min. substrate length of 3-inches, and positioned within 6-inches of the original O.E. catalytic converter.

Starting in 2015, a minimum UTQG 200 tread rating required on street tires.

There are six (6) Street Touring classes and the 9th gen Civic falls into two (2) of them:
    • Street Touring FWD (STF) - The 9th gen R18 Honda Civic (non-Si) falls into this class; other notable vehicles in this category include (but not limited to) Mazda Mazda3, Volkswagen Rabbit/Golf (non-GTI), Ford Focus (non-ST), Scion tC, Mitsubishi Lancer (non-turbo), Subaru Impreza (non-WRX/STI). This class allows a maximum tire width of 225 mm.
    • Street Touring Compact (STC) - This category is for small displacement compacts, mostly of the '80s/'90s with a few exceptions like the new Fiat 500 and Kia Rio.
    • Street Touring Sport (STS) - This category is quite niche... includes Pontiac Fiero (4-cylinder), Toyota MR2 (non-Spyder), Honda Civic del Sol...
    • Street Touring Xtreme (STX) - Ah, yes... here it is. The 9th gen K24 Honda Civic Si falls into this class; other notable vehicles in this category include (but no limited to) Scion FRS, Subaru BRZ, Mazda RX-8, Ford Focus ST, Subaru WRX (non-STI before 2009). This class allows a maximum tire width of 265 mm (245 mm for AWD).
    • Street Touring Ultra (STU) - This category is one better than STX. Includes Mitsubishi Lancer Evo, Subaru Impreza WRX STI, Hyundai Genesis, Ford Mustang...
    • Street Touring Roadster (STR) - As you can imagine, this category includes the Honda S2000. But it also includes some Porches, Datsun Fairladies, Mazda Miata and RX7...

I've only witnessed one regional event at the Houston Police Academy. I was saddened not see not one 8th or 9th gen Civic.

Let's discuss car set ups and other related topics here! Suspension adjustments like camber, toe, and caster. Tire brand, tire pressure, tire/rim sizes (STF allows up to 225 wide tires, STX allows up to 265 wide tires). Weight reduction/balance. Brake rotors, brake pads. Bolt-ons, etc.
    BWill9886 and IvynSteez like this.
    K24Z7 Crew Member # 307
    2013 Honda Civic Si Coupe w/ Navigation, Rallye Red

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    Well, I am considering running in STX, but in all honesty, I feel like its suicide against the BRZ/FRSs, RX8s, etc at anything beyond regional level. I haven't ran my 13' Si yet (its new, waiting on tires - running casually in G-Street this season), but I know there is a lot of competition in STX.

What do you guys think?

I am in agreement with you about the FRS/BRZs and RX8s, but in my case, I've done my car mods before I've considered autocrossing, so now it's STX or bust... (oops).

I think the rules on tire widths is somewhat unfair in that it favors some vehicles over others. At the regional event I attended, one driver was running 9-inch wide rims with 255-mm wide tires on his Subaru BRZ. I doubt that rim/tire combination would fit on our Civics without flaring out the fenders (which is not allowed). Honestly, I'm not even sure if 235-mm wide tires on 8-inch rims would fit on a lowered Civic Si without excessive camber (which would negate the point of wider tires).

I plan to attend a regional event on April 6th against said competition, but I'll be running the factory all-season 215-wide tires on stock rims... I *might* post my result times after the event... heh.
    Last edited by akane; 03-26-2014 at 11:43 AM.
    K24Z7 Crew Member # 307

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    Ah, I see. Just curious: What do you have done that is bumping you?

I am currently stock, but am thinking about STX because I kind of want wider wheels and (since its my daily driver), lowering it a smidge for aesthetics. Plus running some camber bolts wouldn't be the worse thing. As for 9" wheels, I don't think that is going to happen, but I have seen a few 8" wheels that are fitting as long as the car isnt super low. I am looking at 8" (w/235) or even 7.5" (w/ 215).

I guess I am not really trying to be competitive beyond the regional level, so likely I will eventually end up in STX - just dreading the competition.

I am in the same situation as you: There is a local event this Sunday here in Atlanta that I am considering running, but I will still be on stock All-Seasons (so not much hope for decent placing). I *may* also throw up a video/times if I go and its not too embarrassing!
    Last edited by Richard; 03-27-2014 at 09:27 AM.

What's bumping me? Granted, I haven't been through tech with my current configuration yet, but based on the rules I think the following is bumping me:
    - RV6-P downpipe with 200 cell per inch cat
    - Skunk2 cold air intake
    - Skunk2 rear camber arms
    - Koni Yellow Sport adjustable dampers
    - Vit Viper Tuned

Also, since I can't fit in my car with a helmet on, I'll be installing aftermarket Recaro bucket seats which should save about 40-50 lb of weight.

I've got a Go Pro Hero 3+ on order through amazon.com, so I *might* post videos if it's not too embarrassing. Heh.

As far as not being competitive, eh, it is what it is. Same as you, I'll be doing this regional only and mostly for to challenge myself. I likely won't be upgrading tires/wheels for quite a while.

How are you doing in G class?
    K24Z7 Crew Member # 307

Greenhorn
    Quote Originally Posted by akane View Post
    What's bumping me? Granted, I haven't been through tech with my current configuration yet, but based on the rules I think the following is bumping me:
    - RV6-P downpipe with 200 cell per inch cat
    - Skunk2 cold air intake
    - Skunk2 rear camber arms
    - Koni Yellow Sport adjustable dampers
    - Vit Viper Tuned
    Yeah, that would do it... Wow, that is VERY similar to what I have been considering (RV6 w/ cat, Koni Yellow, and VitTune)! I just plan to add Wheels/Tires, a mild lowering spring of some-sort, and camber bolts up front. Kinda off topic, but do you like the RV6 w/ cat? I am worried about noise, so I have been deciding if the "power upgrade" would be worth it.

How are you doing in G class?
    Actually haven't ran the Civic yet. I just got it in January (wanted to get a few miles on before abusing) and am looking at Sunday being my first race. On stock all-seasons, I don't expect it to do very well, but meh, what can I do.

I was running a MINI Cooper (base, not-s) in H-Stock last year and had was VERY impressed with that car - So the Civic has a lot to live up to!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Kinda off topic, but do you like the RV6 w/ cat? I am worried about noise, so I have been deciding if the "power upgrade" would be worth it.
    Editing this post after reviewing my original response (too wordy).

Vit's Infamous edyno has my car putting down around 217-220 whp and 184-186 wtq; not sure how accurate that is... I'm running CT-Engineering exhaust since the ID of the pipe matches the RV6 downpipe. The sound is definitely "ricer"-ish though. And the DP flex joint resonates at certain RPMs (~4500).

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Actually haven't ran the Civic yet. I just got it in January (wanted to get a few miles on before abusing) and am looking at Sunday being my first race.
    Ah, good thinking. Well keep me posted on your progress!
    Last edited by akane; 12-14-2014 at 09:31 PM.
    K24Z7 Crew Member # 307

It's been a while since I've posted in here... Since starting this thread, I've entered in four events. By my third event I won the novice class and in my fourth event I won STX class by default, although I still would have finished on top of 17 other novices that day.

Regional Event #11 - November 9, 2014
    Pos Class # Vehicle PAX Diff
    NSTX 97 Civic Si (FG4) 39.194
    --
    2 NSTR 1 S2000 40.572 +1.378
    3 NSTR 8 Miata 41.908 +2.714
    4 NGS 16 C30 41.974 +2.780
    5 NES 77 Miata 42.025 +2.831
    6 NSTO 674 335I 43.131 +3.937
    7 NES 71 Miata 43.451 +4.257
    8 NDSP 426 325I 45.959 +6.765

Regional Event #12 - December 7, 2014
    STX 97 Civic Si (FG4) 52.411 --
    1 NSTF 674 Ford Focus SVT 53.626 --
    2 NDS 426 325I 53.817 +0.191
    3 NCS 43 BRZ 53.898 +0.272
    4 NCS 623 FRS 54.045 +0.419
    5 NGS 758 TL 54.575 +0.949
    6 NHS 23 Impreza 2.0L 55.130 +1.504
    7 NSTR 1 S2000 55.515 +1.889
    8 NGS 16 C30 56.064 +2.438
    9 NFS 155 M3 56.984 +3.358
    10 NCS 8 Miata 57.094 +3.468
    11 NSM 27 Camaro 1LE 57.289 +3.663
    12 NSTO 604 MR2 Spyder 58.548 +4.922
    13 NGS 42 Camry V6 XLE 58.597 +4.971
    14 NSTO 13 Evolution X 58.793 +5.167
    15 NHS 645 Rabbit 60.379 +6.753
    16 NBSL 64 SLK 32 63.457 +9.831
    17 NHSL 13 Civic LX 65.804 +12.178

Tires make a big difference. But like the veterans advise, it's better to drive with less sticky tires at first since they're less forgiving, don't hide your mistakes, and help you become a better driver.

Since my third and fourth events, I've been running Michelin Super Sports instead of the O.E. Michelin Pilot MXM4 all-season tires. I've gone from setting PAX times in the bottom 20% to now setting PAX times in the upper 50% range out of ~100 entries. Still a long way to go though, and I'm still fairly new at this.

This past weekend I've re-aligned my vehicle in preparation for the 2015 season.

BEFORE ALIGNMENT:
    Front camber: -0.2 deg
    Rear camber: -1.4 deg
    Front toe: -0.02 deg (toe out)
    Rear toe: 0.00 (neutral)
    Caster: 5.3 deg

AFTER ALIGNMENT:
    Front camber: -1.3 deg (max achieved with single SPC camber bolts)
    Rear camber: -1.4 deg (no change)
    Front toe: -0.10 deg (toe out)
    Rear toe: 0.14 deg (toe in)
    Caster: 5.5 deg

It'll be interesting to see how these alignments will change handling (and affect daily driving wear). On a 60-second course, I'm still about 3-4 seconds slower than the experts, which is a considerable amount... My next event is on January 4th.

Oh... and still no GoPro vids... camera kept dying due to WiFi. Last time I finally disabled it, but the camera died due to being on all day unbeknownst to me... agh!!!
    speedy28 and BWill9886 like this.
    K24Z7 Crew Member # 307

Nice job! I'm excited to try and get back out there next year.

Any plans to go with a Hasport RMM or stiffen the OEM one? How about springs/coilover sleeves?
    akane likes this.
    2013 Rallye Red Si Sedan

Hey BWill9886,

I'd have to look into the rulebook to see if motor mount modifications are allowed in Street Touring... but if so that would be an EXCELLENT idea. I'm thinking about going with a stiffer rear swaybar (25.4 mm), and possibly coilovers (these H&R progressive springs are too soft for autocrossing...) but I'm worried about daily drivability with stiff springs from a coilover setup.
    K24Z7 Crew Member # 307

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.