Si RPM on highway
NEWS

1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Si RPM on highway

Si RPM on highway

So I just got my Si this past Sunday. It's my first manual and my first Honda. It seems like the RPM on the highway is a lot higher than I had expected. At 70MPH, I'm above 3k. My old car had a five-speed auto and similarly sized engine, but with less torque and the Si revs higher at cruising speed in 6th than it did. Maybe this is normal, but I was thinking with more torque and another gear, the revs would be under 3k on the highway. If I push it to 80MPH, the engine's turning around 3,400. Am I crazy or is this normal? And I'll confirm those numbers tonight. This was just from memory.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Beware the Corn-a-Saurus! bluestar's Avatar
    That's right... Mines same way... But really these are high rev engines so Its nothing to them... I really don't think about it

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    Beware...the Zombie Apocalypse is coming.....followed by the uprising of the Smurfs....recommend stocking up Ramen Noodles now!!!

K24Z7 Crew Member # 1
    Former Owner of 2012 CBP Si Sedan

Top Dawg!!
    Going 70mph with cruise control on the highway I'm right at 3K RPM's and you'll also notice on the iMid engine power monitor that you'll be easily under 25% power usage. Honda knows what they doing!

Plus I still averaged 35-36mpg, But now with the ART SRI I'm averaging 39-40mpg

Sent From My LG G2x

One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    Normal

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    K24Z7 Crew Member #84

Good to hear. I was bit concerned because my mileage on the first tank seems very low, but iMID shows 32MPG average. I guess I'm just used to the 18 gallon tank on my old car LOL

Yep, Honda 4 cyls usually have small gas tanks and Honda lets their m/t cars rev on the highway. At least the Civic's k engine is quiet at 3k rpms. I drove a Fit Sport auto before my Si that was louder at 2k. Plus, the manual Fit tachs 3k+ rpms at highway speed and is in no way quiet about it. The Si is a Lexus or Buick in comparison...

Quote Originally Posted by Utahs First 2012 Si View Post
    Plus I still averaged 35-36mpg, But now with the ART SRI I'm averaging 39-40mpg
    Can you provide more details on the 39-40 mpg? I'm assuming that this is all highway, 70 mph cruise control, and that this is an iMid number? An Si is actually this efficient?

Top Dawg!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nataspsi View Post
    Can you provide more details on the 39-40 mpg? I'm assuming that this is all highway, 70 mph cruise control, and that this is an iMid number? An Si is actually this efficient?
    Yes, I filled up and reset the iMid. The gas station was 3 miles from the freeway. I hopped on went to 70mph and hit cruise control. I actually got up to 40.8mpg which it's AMAZING for a performance motor. This is with my ART SRI and Hondata Reflash.

Before the intake with just the a reflash the same trip I averaged 36.2mpg still freakin great!

But I actually do 95% city driving and I drive my car hard that's why I bought it and that's why she runs like a champ! I was averaging 22mpg city. Right now with the intake I'm averaging 26mpg.

Sent From My LG G2x

Another thing I noticed was that I can sometimes hear a bit of whine when cruising at lower speeds and if I take my foot completely off the gas for a second I can feel a slight jerk. Maybe this is just how manual transmissions work, but it is strange and foreign to me. Even seems to do it at 45MPH in 5th and 6th.

I recently did a trip from Toronto Canada to Memphis TN, 1860 mile round trip. I averaged 40.8mpg going down and 38.8 coming back home, speeds between 65 & 70 mph. There must be a decline going south, and a gradual incline when traveling north... That's the only reason I can come up with for the difference... Shell Vpower used the whole time... Reflash & K&N drop-in are the only mods. Anyway... With that kind of mileage... The 3000rpm at 70mph is no big deal. Most car manufactures over estimate mpg figures... In the case of the Si... Its underestimated.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    syphen likes this.
    9th Gen TW Si coupe

"Far Beyond Driven"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.