Unbiased VitViper tuning review from a NOOB
NEWS

1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: Unbiased VitViper tuning review from a NOOB

One Bad Mama Jama!!! dfanatic86's Avatar

Cool Unbiased VitViper tuning review from a NOOB

Hey guys, I figured I'd let y'all know that I started my tuning session with VitViper and thought I could let everyone know how my experience is going. This is the first time I have ever owned a K series car/ first time using an E-tune. I will be continually update this thread along with a timeline and my experience through each calibration file. I may do some videos if you guys are interested, let me know. Also if you want to see or know something specific, please ask. Stay Tuned!

Car specifications in the sig.

Timeline:
    2/09/2017- Purchased Ultimate Tune w/priority
    2/09/2017- Received my first calibration 2:01am
    2/10/2017- As per Vit's instructions, I data logged my first calibration (5:07am)
    2/10/2017- Sent first data log back to Vit (5:56am) Barometer: 30.24 Temp: 66 Elev: +6 ASL
    2/10/2017- Recieved 2nd calibration 10:56pm
    2/11/2017- As per Vit's instructions, I data logged 2nd calibration (9:50am)
    2/11/2017- Sent 2nd data log back @ 10:30am Barometer: 30.03 Temp: 73 Elev: +6 ASL
    2/13/2017- Received 3rd calibration @ 10:45pm
    2/14/2017- Sent 3rd data log back @ 8:15pm Barometer: 30.08 Temp:67 Elev: +6ASL
    ​2/15/2017- Received 4th calibration @ 10:47pm
    2/16/2017- Sent 4th data log @ 5:50am
    2/17/2017- Received 5th calibration @ 8:17pm
    2/17/2017- Sent 5th data log back @ 9:50pm
    2/20/2017- Received 6th calibration back @ 10:04pm
    2/21/2017- Sent 6th calibration back @10:14pm
    2/22/2017- Received 7th calibration @ 9:15pm
    2/23/2017- Sent 7th calibration back @ 5:28am
    2/23/2017- Received 8th calibration @ 9:59pm
    2/23/2017- Sent 8th data log back @ 5:28
    2/27/2017- Received 9th calibration @ 6:43pm
    ??????????- Sent 9th data log back
    3/1/2017- Received 10th calibration @ 10:34pm
    3/3/2017- Sent 10th data log back @ 5:40am
    3/6/2017- Received 11th calibration @ 10:47pm
    3/11/2017- Sent 11th data log back @ 9:41am
    3/13/2017- Received 12th calibration @ 10:56pm
    3/14/2017- Sent 12th data log back @ 6:09am
    3/14/2017- Received 13th calibration @ 11:13pm
    3/15/2017- Sent 13th calibration back @ 5:59am
    3/16/2017- Received 14th calibration @ 10:24pm
    3/17/2017- Sent 14th data log back @ 5:51am
    3/20/2017- Received 15th calibration @ 10:51pm
    3/21/2017- Sent 15th data log back @ 6:24am
    3/21/2017- Received 16th calibration @ 9:03pm
    3/22/2017- Sent 16th data log back @ 5:47am
    3/22/2017- Received 17th calibration @ 9:48pm
    3/23/2017- Sent 17th data log back @ 5:31am
    3/28/2017- Received 18th calibration @ 12:14am
    3/28/2017- Sent 18th data log back @ 6:25am
    3/30/2017- Received 19th calibration @ 12:08am
    3/30/2017- Sent 19th data log back @ 6:11am
    3/30/2017- Received 20th calibration @ 11:24am
    4/03/2017- Sent 20th data log back @ 9:51pm
    4/03/2017- Received 21st calibration @ 9:53pm
    4/04/2017- Sent 21st data log back @ 9:40pm
    4/05/2017- Received 22nd calibration @ 8:34pm
    4/15/2017- Sent 22nd data log back @ 7:27am (10 day gap, totally on me)
    4/17/2017- Received 23rd calibration @ 8:38pm
    4/21/2017- Sent 23rd data log back @ 5:45am (4 day gap, again it was on me)

First Calibration: (Normal driving/No WOT/No VTEC)
    Car started up with no issues.
    Feels like rev hang is non existence, much better than the Hondata Reflash!
    Light bog upon rolling out of 1st gear, after initial roll it goes smooth throughout the RPM range.
    Idle felt smoother/less loud? Weird but it sounded much quieter than running the Hondata Reflash

2nd Calibration: (normal driving/1 WOT pull/No VTEC)
    Seemed just like the first calibration

3rd Calibration: (normal driving/1 WOT pull/No VTEC)
    Very similar to 1st/2nd calibration's. Down low in the rev range the car feels wicked smooth. Looks like the the LOW portions of the maps are getting adjusted. Data logs show very rich conditions under WOT (I've only hit it a few times, don't flame me! Including in the last log I sent to Vit, yes, I should have slapped myself.)

4th Calibration: (normal driving/1 WOT pull/No VTEC)
    Looks like more of the LOW ignition maps are being adjusted. Other than that, car still feels great. I will add, I have not had a knock count register on FP since I started tuning with Vit. Hell, when I drove on the Hondata Reflash a 25 min drive would yield between 4-8 knock counts and no WOT pulls.

5th Calibration: (normal driving/1 WOT pull/No VTEC)
    As soon as I took off I felt something different with this calibration! Different in a good way! Interestingly enough shifting became a breeze!! Before, it felt like I couldn't get a smooth engagement, now it takes much less effort. So far I'm extremely pleased with how things are going.

6th Calibration: (3 WOT pulls/3 Calibrations)
    So this calibration came to me with 3 different calibrations. I have to do 1 WOT pull (1700-5500) per calibration. I will be doing the pulls later tonight, but felt I should update everyone step by step. I would have updated last night but i had a scare with the FP update, but all is good now.

So after doing the pulls I noticed each calibration got progressive better feeling. Obviously with the 3rd feeling the best.

7th Calibration: (normal driving/1 WOT pull)

This calibration perked my interest because I was asked to do 1 WOT pull (2000-7500). This calibration has VTEC set down low, so Im starting to wonder if the real fun begins. Normal driving operation the car feels fine. Upon heavy throttle application it tends to bog down low before reaching the higher rpm's. I think for the time being I will revert back to the best calibration file from #6.

8th Calibration: ( normal driving/1 WOT pull)
    This calibration is a bit better than last, especially in the higher rpm's. Seems to pull much more consistently towards 5200-7500rpm. Day to day driving is still going great, with no issues noted. Still running filthy rich in the upper rpm range, something like 11's.

Unbiased VitViper tuning review from a NOOB-afrrich.jpg

9th Calibration: (normal driving/1 WOT pull)
    Feels the same as the previous calibration with the exception that AFR's are a bit better in the upper RPMS. Not bouncing between mid 12's down to low 11's. Gas milage oddly enough seems to be improving. Hi speed cam angle seem to under the gun right now. Previous 2 calibrations have had adjustments to the high speed cam angle with some minor fueling changes.

10th Calibration: (normal driving/1 WOT pull)
    Same as previous calibration, more high speed cam adjustment along with more minor fueling changes.

11th Calibration: (3 WOT pulls/3 Calibrations)
    Haven't had a chance to do this yet. Been extremely busy at work and with other side project for the Civic. I will be doing these runs tonight, stay tuned!

3/12/2017 I got a chance do these three calibrations. It seems that when I get 3 calibrations, the last one is always the best. Clearly Vit knows what he is doing as I call this the crawl/walk stage of the tune. Can't wait to get to the run part of the tune. Note worthy mentions: AFR's are becoming more stable with each calibration. Smoother engine operation. BTW if your wondering the pulls start at 2k and end at redline.

12th Calibration: (2 WOT Pulls/2 Calibrations
    Same as previous calibrations. More High speed cam adjustments with a bit of fuel pulled. The very last calibration out of these 2 held a pretty consistent 12.3-12.6 AFR's with minor fluctuations above or below. Vtec has been changed to activate at 5800RPM. Believe it or not, but the first couple of cal's I did in the beginning with VTEC set at 5800RPM, I could "feel" the VTEC. Now the transition seems to be getting smoothed out.

13th-16th Calibrations: (normal driving/1 WOT pull)
    Slight changes between these calibration files. Nothing too major that I've noticed. The usual Hi/Lo speed cam adjustments, minor fuel changes and a much more stable AFR in the upper RPMs. MPG's seem to be consistently going up with little to no effort on driving habits.

17th Calibration (Spirited Driving)
    The real fun begins. As I stated in another section, I would comment on how you should drive. Well to keep it simple "drive it like you stole it". Drive it like when your were 17yo, you know, when you tried to race anything that had wheels. I.E. "I was 17, pulled up to a kid in a power wheel, asked him to run that sh*t, spanked him after VTEC kicked in." Literally drive your car in "HAM" mode.

Ok, enough of that mumbo jumbo. Back the calibration. On this one, Hi/Low speed cam adjustment and minor fuel changes. I noticed after running the datalog AFR were getting much richer in the upper sections of the RPMs. Car still felt great and pulled exceptionally well.

18th-21st Calibration (Spirited Driving)

Same as 17th calibration. Can't see what going on due to the FP update. Vit is protecting his work, which is totally understandable. Especially in the day we live in today! Normal day to day driving is great. When I start data logging, I still give Vit the 2k-redline pull that was requested in earlier calibrations. Some of the other things I do: some hard launches using the 2 step (set very low, like 2k. crap ass tires...), 2nd-5th WOT pulls to the max (done in Mehico) and some rev match down shifting here and there.

22nd & 23rd Calibrations (Spirited Driving)

I feel like the tune process is coming to an end. Virtual Dyno has showed very consistent numbers for the past 3 calibrations. Although AFR's appear to be more stable, especially higher up in the rev range. Considering all I have is a K&N drop in and HPS tube, I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

I dropped the ball on the last 2 calibrations, that why there is a large gap between those 2.

Misc:
    Do you get on it? Yes, on occasion.> A lot more now
    How does it run? Great, can't tell its being tuned>The way it should have came from the factory
    MPG? 23.8 still>24.9>22
    VTEC setting: 5800rpm>3500rpm>5800rpm>5000rpm
    Gas: 93
    Knock Counts To Date:
    1>3>5
    Last edited by dfanatic86; 04-21-2017 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Update Timeline
    2012TW FB6
    HPS Intake/K&N drop in
    Hondata Flashpro
    VitTuned-ish

Civic Ex Sedan
    DOHC F20B Turbo 7 psi

Build Thread:

Hidden Content

Channel:
    Hidden Content

Miami 9thGen Crew #1

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Subscribed. I tuned with him 3 years ago with only a K&N intake, and really liked the results.

I'm soon to install the CTE kit and supporting mods, so the next tuning for me will be quite different than the last time. lol
    RujoKinJal and dfanatic86 like this.
    K24Z7 CREW # 61719 (2012 Taffy Si Coupe)
    CTE supercharger w/3.6", stock belt
    DW 750CC injectors w/PNP clips.
    Flashpro (tuning in progress, with Vit)
    AEM CAI
    Ceramic coated RV6 catted DP
    Hasport 62A RMM and Upper mount
    Enkei RPF1's 17x9 + 45 (3mm front spacers)
    Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2 245/40-17
    Hybrid Racing shifter and cable bushings
    HFP suspension

Morimoto Elite HID 55w 5500K
    14' OEM 20mm Rear Sway Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Civi9 View Post
    Subscribed. I tuned with him 3 years ago with only a K&N intake, and really liked the results.

I'm soon to install the CTE kit and supporting mods, so the next tuning for me will be quite different than the last time. lol
    Nice! Eventually I will be doing more to Si as well. I think the next thing might be the CTE kit, that is when I get my bonus! Please feel free to share your experiences with the install/tune when you get it done.
    2012TW FB6
    HPS Intake/K&N drop in
    Hondata Flashpro
    VitTuned-ish

Civic Ex Sedan
    DOHC F20B Turbo 7 psi

Build Thread:

Hidden Content

Channel:
    Hidden Content

Miami 9thGen Crew #1

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

2nd Calibration:

Quick update. So I swear I have read this "some where", but can't seem to find it for further dissection. I searched and searched to no avail. So every time I shift, I notice the RPM drops so fast it makes it difficulty to smoothly go into forward gears. I know I read a related topic on this.... My guess is, it's apart of the "tune"process. Either that or I suck at shifting gears without a slight hang. Any other thoughts? Thanks
    Last edited by dfanatic86; 02-12-2017 at 07:12 AM. Reason: added text
    2012TW FB6
    HPS Intake/K&N drop in
    Hondata Flashpro
    VitTuned-ish

Civic Ex Sedan
    DOHC F20B Turbo 7 psi

Build Thread:

Hidden Content

Channel:
    Hidden Content

Miami 9thGen Crew #1

Greenhorn
    yea, git gud.

really though if it is not driver mod related vit can remove rev hang via options in hondata

Quote Originally Posted by dfanatic86 View Post
    2nd Calibration:

Quick update. So I swear I have read this "some where", but can't seem to find it for further dissection. I searched and searched to no avail. So every time I shift, I notice the RPM drops so fast it makes it difficulty to smoothly go into forward gears. I know I read a related topic on this.... My guess is, it's apart of the "tune"process. Either that or I suck at shifting gears without a slight hang. Any other thoughts? Thanks
    It definitely part of the tuning process. My SI felt the same way with the first two revisions. Third one was way smoother. I'm barely at 1.3.

2nd Calibration:

Are you driving with the air on? I've noticed with my car the revs drop noticeably quicker when I'm using the A/C or heater.
    MeeSh likes this.
    2012 Civic Si Coupe
    CT-E Stage 1+ supercharger (3.6" pulley; 550cc injectors)
    AEM Cold Air Intake
    Full Race 3" catted downpipe
    Full Race 3" catback exhaust w/ torque solution hangers
    Boomba Racing Motor Mounts
    Progress 24mm rear sway bar w/ Moog endlinks
    Eibach 24mm front sway bar
    Megan Racing strut tower bar
    HFP Suspension
    MB Weapon wheels
    Tuned by Vit Viper!

Quote Originally Posted by MoreRicePlease View Post
    Are you driving with the air on? I've noticed with my car the revs drop noticeably quicker when I'm using the A/C or heater.
    Negative

Quote Originally Posted by MadMike View Post
    It definitely part of the tuning process. My SI felt the same way with the first two revisions. Third one was way smoother. I'm barely at 1.3.
    Glad to hear! thanks!!
    2012TW FB6
    HPS Intake/K&N drop in
    Hondata Flashpro
    VitTuned-ish

Civic Ex Sedan
    DOHC F20B Turbo 7 psi

Build Thread:

Hidden Content

Channel:
    Hidden Content

Miami 9thGen Crew #1

I am on rev 4.0 the spirited driving request has finally come. And i have had nothing but snow fall every day or 2 since then
    White13si likes this.
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #88
    --------------------------------
    2013 RR Si FB6
    -----------------
    Skunk2 - Cai
    Flashpro - Vittuned
    Hasport - RMM 62a
    RV-6 - Catted Downpipe
    Invidia - Q300
    Yellowspeed - Coilovers @ 33%
    GodSpeed - Rear Camber Arms & Rear Sway Bar

Acuity - Shifter, Cable Bushings, Transmission Spring Upgrade

2nd Calibration:

The answer you're looking for is: elimination of rev-hang. Vit removes this feature automatically since most people (not all) complain about it. Search Rev-hang, and you'll see numerous people don't like the stock feel when shifting.

You will likely just learn and get the hang of driving without rev-hang. The only time I ever have issues is when the AC is on, which makes the RPM drop even faster.

I've noticed that I have to rev match more thoughtfully than when I was on stock tune.
    MeeSh and dfanatic86 like this.
    K24Z7 CREW # 61719 (2012 Taffy Si Coupe)
    CTE supercharger w/3.6", stock belt
    DW 750CC injectors w/PNP clips.
    Flashpro (tuning in progress, with Vit)
    AEM CAI
    Ceramic coated RV6 catted DP
    Hasport 62A RMM and Upper mount
    Enkei RPF1's 17x9 + 45 (3mm front spacers)
    Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2 245/40-17
    Hybrid Racing shifter and cable bushings
    HFP suspension

Morimoto Elite HID 55w 5500K
    14' OEM 20mm Rear Sway Bar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.