CREE LED Reverse Lights Installed - 2013 Si Sedan
NEWS

1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: CREE LED Reverse Lights Installed - 2013 Si Sedan

One Bad Mama Jama!!!

CREE LED Reverse Lights Installed - 2013 Si Sedan

Searched first and found some similar posts but this is just informational for people that may use "2013" in their search string Mods please delete or move if needed.

I installed the new CREE "style" LED bulbs in my reverse lights. There are a lot of people selling them on ebay so just find a seller you like and go crazy. I chose to search for T10 CREE LED and found what I wanted. Specific ones I bought: 2pcs T10 Wedge CREE R5 Emitter 7W Super Bright LED Reverse Back Up Lights | eBay - Arrived a day after I ordered!. I chose to go with a 7 watt LED to make sure I didn't have any heat problems. I also was cautious about the bulb size as I had read others being careless about what they ordered and having them not fit in the housing. What I got is advertised as T10 which is a wedge based bulb. It has many other names, some correct and some not, such as 168/194/T15/T20/etc. Be careful with what you order.

Install is VERY SIMPLE. Remove trunk insulator, half turn to remove housing, slide out old, slide in new, test, done.

I will post some other pictures later with the car backed up against a wall at night or something, but others have posted their results and they aren't lying, these are REALLY FREAKING BRIGHT.

Stock vs LED (7 watt CREE LED - 23mm in length - With how small the LED is you could stand to go with a slightly larger diameter and length if you so choose:

Stock vs LED (Don't be an idiot, your stock bulb gets SUPER FREAKING HOT so don't touch it right after you take a picture of it, ask me how I know):

LED Day:

LED Night:
    Last edited by sp3ak; 05-16-2013 at 09:04 AM.
    Shong1up likes this.
    2013 Civic Si Sedan NAV (DBP)
    2012 Accord LX-P Sedan (PMM)

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

X83
    Looks good; I'm lovin' my 50W Cree reverse lights better than the HIDs because there's no warm up time.

I have those same Cree R5 led lights for my license plate bulbs.
    2013 Civic LX Sedan AT - Alabaster Silver - Black Cloth - 17x7.5 Wheels & Michelin 225/45R17 - LLumar CTX30 Ceramic Tint - 70W HIDs

I have LEDs for my reverse lights too, got them locally here Vancouver LED Shop | A brighter Light to a brighter Path for the people in Vancouver, B.C.

One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    Bump. Adding a couple pictures to try and show the "pattern" of the light. It's a little odd but so far I'm happy with them. I haven't really been anywhere very dark yet and had to back up. I have a friends house I'm sure I will be at soon and his driveway is usually very dark at night, then I can really test them out.

Pics taken inside the warehouse at work, I killed as many lights as I could. First pic is obviously with reverse lights not on.

One Bad Mama Jama!!! Lunch_Money's Avatar
    Do the brightness of the reverse lights affect the rear back-up camera at all?
    2013 PMM Si Sedan

Wow, thats really bright.. Would these work for 2012?

One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    I would assume so but you might want to pull the reverse light first and see if it looks like the ones in my first picture. If so you are good to go.

I believe there is a light bulb guide posted somewhere on the forum but you'll have to search for that. It should give a good list of the 2012 bulb sizes, some are different for 2013's.

Nooblets
    Those things are sweet looking!

Quote Originally Posted by Lunch_Money View Post
    Do the brightness of the reverse lights affect the rear back-up camera at all?
    im interested in knowing this as well OP, bump
    K24Z7 Crew Member #337

One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    Sorry guess I never answered that question. Honestly I don't think these affect the camera at all.

After having them in for a while I'd say I'm not super impressed with them. I wonder if a strong LED bulb would be better. The CREE bulbs are very focused light as you can see from my picture of it up against the garage door. The light dissipates quickly in a "real world" scenario.

Usually if I'm backing up and it's real dark I just ride the brake slightly and that really lights stuff up. By themselves, just not super impressed.

I don't want to spend the money to experiment with LED's though, just going to rock these.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.