Factory engine oil and Heavy Duty DOT 3
NEWS

1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Factory engine oil and Heavy Duty DOT 3

Greenhorn

Factory engine oil and Heavy Duty DOT 3

What engine oil does Honda put in at the Factory, for the '12 Civic? And for the '15 Civic? Moly is included also, right?

And, has Honda stopped shipping their HG Heavy Duty DOT 3 Brake Fluid and shifted to just their HG DOT 3?

When did that start?

Anyone have the part # for the HG Heavy Duty Dot 3 and the regular HG DOT 3? Seems to be the same part # but without the leading 0 (HD had the leading 0; regular sans 0).

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Unfortunately, I can't answer any of your questions, but I wanted to give you props for asking the most questions ever in a single post.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    2012 Civic Si sedan / Dyno Blue

POP CREW MEMBER #615

Retired:

2014 Civic Si sedan / MSM
    2012 Civic Si sedan / Sunburst Orange
    2007 Civic Si sedan / Silver

Hidden Content

Greenhorn
    Anyone?

Ez1
    One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    0w20
    0w20
    Moly comes from the assembly lube used while building the engines, it's not anything extra or special in the oil itself. (Teeps posted about this in another thread long ago)

I'd think you can find DOT3 just about anywhere. Seems like DOT3 is DOT3:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fluid
    scottyrocks likes this.

Greenhorn
    Thanks.

Was asking if the oil is conventional (with some moly for break-in - read this somewhere), syn blend (with the moly), or full syn ... during engine assy ... at factory ... for the '12 and '15 Civics.

Also, what is definitive OCI for the factory oil? For HG syn blend? For HG full syn?

Thanks again.

Still also interested in Honda's changeover from Heavy Duty Dot 3 to their regular DOT 3.

Ez1
    One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Car guy View Post
    Thanks.

Was asking if the oil is conventional (with some moly for break-in - read this somewhere), syn blend (with the moly), or full syn ... during engine assy ... at factory ... for the '12 and '15 Civics.

ALL 0w20 is classed as either semi or full synthetic.
    Which type the factory installs, I don't know nor do I really need to know (nor care).

Search the forum for 'break in oil' and maybe 'moly', read everything you can find written by Teeps. Here's one I found right away:

http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/9th-gen-civic-general-chat/191657-factory-oil-consumption.html#post3221233

Also, what is definitive OCI for the factory oil? For HG syn blend? For HG full syn?
    Per your owners manual:
    Change oil when the Maintenance Minder turns on the wrench light and 15% notification....... or one year, whichever comes first.

The Maintenance Minder system operates based on a model, it has no way to directly monitor the true condition of your oil or any other fluid. It cannot monitor the level of the oil either.
    The model relies on the correct products being used, "typical" driving conditions, and the driver regularly checking and correcting the fluid levels.

If one were to dump in the cheapest, most incorrect discount oil found at the Quicky Mart (for a 1928 Ford Model A?), the Maintenance Minder has no way of knowing that.

HTH

Greenhorn
    Thanks for that good link!

But, WHY does the OM (for both '12 and '15 Civic) state (exactly): "You may also use synthetic motor oil if it is lab eled with the API Certification Seal and is of the specified viscosity grade"?

Also ... went into 2 different Honda dealerships. Provided VIN for the '15 Civic 1.8L and at other place provided VIN for the '12 Civic 1.8L. (Have never provided a VIN for a qt of oil before, but did so on purpose.) One place said - for the '15 Civic - to use HG Full Syn oil and they provided those qts ... and the other place - for the '12 Civic - said to use HG Syn Blend oil and they provided those qts.

Part #s were 08798-9037 and 9036, respectively.

But, both OM's have same oil 0W-20 information and same above statement.

What gives?

And, what is the oil change interval for Syn Blend ... and what is the interval for Full Syn?

Thanks.

Holy shit, another oil thread.......
    MeeSh likes this.
    Only the knife knows what goes on in the heart of the pumpkin......unknown

Actively respect those that either died or endured misery....so you could be free.

Drain the swamp. Force term limits.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to make people believe he doesn't exist".......a movie.

Greenhorn
    <Only the knife knows what goes on in the heart of the pumpkin......unknown>

They now know defensive chemicals get released, immediately.

Same thing happens removing a fruit or vegetable or flower or leaf or blade of a grass.

Ez1
    One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Car guy View Post
    Thanks for that good link!

But, WHY does the OM (for both '12 and '15 Civic) state (exactly): "You may also use synthetic motor oil if it is lab eled with the API Certification Seal and is of the specified viscosity grade"?
    And that API grade is.....?

Also ... went into 2 different Honda dealerships. Provided VIN for the '15 Civic 1.8L and at other place provided VIN for the '12 Civic 1.8L. (Have never provided a VIN for a qt of oil before, but did so on purpose.) One place said - for the '15 Civic - to use HG Full Syn oil and they provided those qts ... and the other place - for the '12 Civic - said to use HG Syn Blend oil and they provided those qts.

Part #s were 08798-9037 and 9036, respectively.

But, both OM's have same oil 0W-20 information and same above statement.

What gives?
    Your choice. Either flavor 0w20 oil can be used in either year.

The parts people only sell parts. They don't always know nor care anything about the cars. I'm real sure they cannot look up oil using a VIN. The Honda electronic parts catalog does not have a listing for engine oil.

I'd walk to the shelf and grab whatever oil bottles and ask which you'd prefer.
    If I were paid on commission selling parts, I'd push the most expensive option (or highest % profit choice) at you and tell you you MUST use it. (A quart of Hondas full syn is more than a dollar higher than the blend according to the parts catalog I just looked at)

My store also keeps some flavors of Mobil1 on the shelf.

Most dealerships probably have 3 choices for Hondas spec 0w20 oil:
    Bottled: either semi synthetic or full (ultimate) synthetic
    or bulk oil, which in the US is now full synthetic (if the dealer is obtaining bulk oil through Hondas recommended distributors).
    And, what is the oil change interval for Syn Blend ... and what is the interval for Full Syn?
    Per your owners manual:
    Change oil when the Maintenance Minder turns on the wrench light and 15% notification....... or one year, whichever comes first.

(That was just from memory. If you want some copy and paste from a real owners manual, I can probably come up with that...but I'm lazy.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.