Oil FAQ - oil and filter change questions and which brand to go with? - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 270 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Like Tree612Likes

Thread: Oil FAQ - oil and filter change questions and which brand to go with?

sew
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    I put Amsoil in my commuter Toyota when it had 103,000 on the odometer and held my breath wondering what will happen. I was lucky with this car in that there appears to be no MAJOR leaking (spark plugs were dry when I recently replaced them, no blue smoke, etc.),
    I've heard for years about "not putting synthetic" into older cars and not putting semi-synthetic in airplane engines, especially if they have been run very long on non-synthetic. My findings have been to the contrary: no leaking at gaskets on any import I've switched to synthetic, but have found gasket leakage on my son's GT Mustangs(I was nice and used capital letters for Mustang even though I really don't like them, and with good and repeated reasons). Also on Lycoming 0320 and 0360 engines, the Shell 15W50 (semi-synthetic) does tend to have some leakage at some of the gaskets(I use it anyway). Other than possible leakage problems, I see no reason to not use the best lubricant at any age of the engine. Wear virtually quits whenever synthetic goes into the engine. However, if there is any leakage at gaskets, it will likely worsen with synthetic oil. Synthetic oil allows enough of an additional interval between changes that it is actually cheaper to use even if you do your own changes as I expect most of us do.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Oil change questions and which brand to go with?

See some online Honda dealers have 12 quarts discounted. Looks like its about $8 per quart at local part stores. I searched some of the deal forums and they sometimes pick it up for $5 a quart during oil change specials. I have Auto Zone, Napa, and Advance Auto. Pep Boys it 30 minutes out of my way. Going to keep an eye out for $5 a quart and buy it online if I need before I find a deal. No, 5W-20 is not an option for me.

Depending on where ur at are you really looking for 0w-20 that thin?

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

sew
    Quote Originally Posted by mikefxu View Post
    Thank you for posting this article. My 2008 Si's manual recommends 5W-30 while our 2008 CRV recommends 5W-20. The Si req for 30 wt at the high temp measurement contradicts the article, so it appears. Does the '11 Si's manual also recommend 5W-30 or 20? Realizing that there is very little difference in viscosity of 20 and 30, when measured at 212 degrees, is it generally considered acceptable to use 0-20 in the K20A2?

I use 10w-30 in all my vehicles (Car, motorcycle, fourwheeler, dirtbike) and plan on doing the same with the new civic that is on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by sew View Post
    is it generally considered acceptable to use 0-20 in the K20A2?
    I use what is specified for the vehicle. Cars are not just thrown together, they are engineered precision machines. The engineers designed the engine to work with a specific oil type. The manual states if deviations are acceptable. I am sure most quick lube places put 5w-30 in everything no matter what it says.

Have you seen as well from a pic of the k24's oil filler cap it specifies 0w-20. Anybody know what the tsx and accord k24's ask for in viscosity?
    Waiting for a '13 Honda Civic Si Sedan in Sunburst Orange Pearl (or Dyno Blue Pearl?)
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

...oorrrr, the new Acura ILX???... Pass, Civic it is.

Hidden Content "Pain is the weakness that is leaving your body." - Author Unknown

"Wherever you go, there you are." - Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by dashline79 View Post
    Have you seen as well from a pic of the k24's oil filler cap it specifies 0w-20. Anybody know what the tsx and accord k24's ask for in viscosity?
    I have a 2004 Accord LX I4 Manual Sedan (K24) and the cap reads 5W-20.

Figured it out. Walmart sells Mobil 1 0w-20 in 5 quart jugs for $24.50 and also have Fram Xtended Guard oil filters.
    Last edited by mikefxu; 05-09-2011 at 07:50 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 270 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.