lowering driver seat - Page 15
NEWS

1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: lowering driver seat

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    Well, regardless, I'm gonna merge yours into the other one because they deal with the same topic.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but dont say it mean.
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Vash View Post
    I did browse the post about lowering the seat before signing up. But none really showed how to actually unhook the springs, and yea if it wasn't for the sunroof I would have no issues at all at any seat setting.

Also the stampede is great, always makes me smile when someone knows where my username is from haha.
    I was going to do this when we were talking about it last year, but never got around to it (you know how it is – haha). But now that you posted about it, I decided to actually do it just now. Here are the details.

When I say 'front' I mean front of car. 'Back' or 'rear' is back or rear of car.

Pop the plastic caps off the rear mounting bolts. They slide backwards, and each one has two small clips. I inserted a screwdriver slightly off center and twisted a little. When it popped I went to the other side of the same cover. Repeat on the other mount.

I wanted easy access, so I took out all four bolts – two front and two rear. I used a 14mm socket on a 3/8 drive with an extension.

Removed the head restraint and tilted the back of the seat to how I normally drive. Adjust the seatback to whatever works best for you. I used the head restraint underneath the seat, prongs down, to help hold the seat up.

Unhook the seat-colored flap from underneath. There are two straps with white plastic hooks at the end. Each is fastened to a spring about halfway under the seat. No tools needed for this.

Now come the tricky parts. Before you can unhook the springs from their rear mounts, you have to remove a white plastic guard that runs the width of the seat. It is attached to the spring mount. If you look at it from the side it resembles a J track.

I used a combination of a brake drum spring (just happened to be lying around) and a screwdriver to get it off. Inserted the hooked end of the brake drum spring into the channel from underneath the plastic track and the screwdriver from the side, and pried it off. I started at the outer end, then the inner end, and the two middle ones which only required the spring at that point (remember, there are four springs mounted front to back). Once that's off you can see how the ends of the springs are attached.

Each spring is carried by a flatmetal double J track. It is mounted over the top of a rear support bar, one side in front and the other end of it, the same piece of metal, behind the support bar. You want to pry the spring out of the rear part of the bracket, but leave it in the front part.

I used a combination of a flat head screwdriver and a vice grips to pull out the two middle springs from their mounts. I worked it up to the top of the open end of the channel with the screwdriver, and then pulled up and sideways with the vice grips.

When you see all the pieces it will be obvious what I am talking about.

Installation is literally the reverse of removal.

When I sat in the seat, I could tell I was lower mainly by looking at where my Garmin is, sticking out from the CD slot. I used to look slightly down at it. Now I am looking straight at it. That's a noticeable difference.

I'll drive it this way and see if I want to remove the two outer springs, which for some reason are more difficult to dislodge. I tried but it was getting dark, and I wanted to be able to go out tonight.
    Last edited by scottyrocks; 06-17-2017 at 07:01 PM.
    'Three pedals or bust!'

One Bad Mama Jama!!! bigbadspoon's Avatar
    Like Scotty, I saw this post revive and felt motivated to finally give it a shot. Maybe I did it wrong, but I can't really tell the difference. Maybe the seat is slightly softer, but it's tough to tell. I still can't sit up completely straight, but my typical driving position is about 1/4" off the roof liner now instead of touching it like it was before doing this. I'm hesitant to pull the rear mounts of the outer springs because the SCAB harness is attached to one of them and I don't want to risk damaging it by putting too much tension on it. Then, I also don't want to sit cockeyed by only pulling off 3 mounts.

Maybe it'll settle a bit over the next few days, but if I could do this again knowing what I know now, I wouldn't bother wasting the time or busting up my fingers doing this job.
    scottyrocks likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Update:

So now I've driven the car a couple of times since I did the seat modification yesterday.

When I originally 'test-sat' it, I didn't back put my lower back support device on the seatback. I was sitttingg further back in the seat than I usually do, and my body weight pushed the rear of the bottom cushion down enough to account for the height difference I experienced when looking at my Garmin.

Now, with the lower back support installed, I am sitting slightly further forward on the seat and not sinking down as much where the springs are disconnected. The height difference now is negligible.

Unlike bbspoon, however, I feel it was worth the time and effort, if only minimally, as I didn't bust up my fingers doing it.
    RujoKinJal likes this.
    'Three pedals or bust!'

2nd update:

Last night I experimented a little with seat position.

The short story is that I ended up with the seatback set one notch rearward from where I normally keep it. That angle has been fine for me in the past except for the fact that I slide forward a bit due to the angle. So I have been keeping one notch more forward. Not ideal, but that's what worked given the ergonomics, and my body.

Now, with the slight depression in the rear of the seat bottom, I don't slide forward with the seatback notched back one stop. Also, the lumber cushion is no longer pushing me forward so I can stay in the depression. The steering wheel is now all the way down (and in) where I like it, and no gauges are blocked.

It's a slightly more relaxed driving position, but not radical. Overall, a good combination of factors that I am happy with.

Keep in mind that we are all built a little differently. What works for one person may not work for another. Tinkering with things is the only way to find the best, or a better, outcome.
    'Three pedals or bust!'

Greenhorn
    I plan to give this another shot on the weekend and see how it works for me. I only need half an inch - an inch or so. I'm only 5"10 maybe 5"11 but I think my torso is on the larger side.

I was hoping the aftermarket seat rails could drop the stock seat down (don't want to lose my heated seats since I live in Canada and it gets cold in the winters here) but I heard they only drop aftermarket seats down lower and do nothing for height on stock seats.

So I had a minute to do this, it took me 20 minutes having the right tools. I just used a socket/ratchet, some fat pliers and a flathead screwdriver. Scotty, your DIY is nice, I followed it entirely. I decided to snap a few pics for you to add to it or just for reference in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyrocks View Post
    remove a white plastic guard that runs the width of the seat. It is attached to the spring mount. If you look at it from the side it resembles a J track.

Each spring is carried by a flatmetal double J track. It is mounted over the top of a rear support bar, one side in front and the other end of it, the same piece of metal, behind the support bar.
    White plastic guard:
    lowering driver seat-img_2797.jpg

Flatmetal double J track:
    lowering driver seat-img_2796.jpg

I ended up just being a savage and bending the flat metal tabs. If I decide to put the springs back on, they should bend back just fine, plus nobody will ever see them.

The difference was probably .5 inches give or take. I think it's just enough clearance for a helmet for me now, I might still touch the ceiling. It does help a tad though.
    Last edited by MeeSh; 06-20-2017 at 02:29 AM.
    scottyrocks likes this.
    Hidden Content

IG: @MishkaCreates | @DankJDM

- DankJDM.com -

Naturally Aspirated
    Tune by VitViper

Advan RZ 17x8.5 et31
    Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/45

Wheel Setup by FKX Racing

#Make9thGenGreatAgain
    #NeverForgetROTM
    #RIP_ROTM

Greenhorn
    Those pictures are a big help thank you!! Can't wait to give this a try now. How does the seat feel after removing the two middle springs!

Sit in it a few times and you'll hardly know the difference but you'll be just a tad lower.

Comfort is subjective, though. I feel more planted in the seat, which I like.
    'Three pedals or bust!'

Quote Originally Posted by Vash View Post
    Those pictures are a big help thank you!! Can't wait to give this a try now. How does the seat feel after removing the two middle springs!
    I removed all 4 springs, and comfort feels the same. But I did notice I sit maybe 0.5-1 inch lower, so it was worth the 20min it took.
    Last edited by MeeSh; 06-20-2017 at 10:46 PM.
    scottyrocks and RujoKinJal like this.
    Hidden Content

IG: @MishkaCreates | @DankJDM

- DankJDM.com -

Naturally Aspirated
    Tune by VitViper

Advan RZ 17x8.5 et31
    Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/45

Wheel Setup by FKX Racing

#Make9thGenGreatAgain
    #NeverForgetROTM
    #RIP_ROTM

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.