excessive heat
NEWS

1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: excessive heat

excessive heat

I purchased a 2012 civic a little over a month ago and noticed excessive heat coming from all of the vents. The temp is turned all the way to cold and heat still comes from the vents, even with the fan turned off. Has anyone experienced this issue???

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Does this only happen while you are driving? Also when your car is NOT recirculating air? If so even if the fan is off the intake is still open so you can still get air through the vents which passes by the engine picking up the heat while passing by. This is common in many cars I've noticed.

Ya ive noticed it, it kinda gets annoying sometimes, i just tilt the vents up out of my direction and the problem gets solved
    - Black 2012 Honda Civic Lx
    - R18 Crew member #814

Big Pimping!!! stringfellowhawke's Avatar
    Does hot air come out even with the recirculating vent on? I know if mines off I get a lot of heat, but if its on its very minimal if any.

Yep, same here, just tilt the vents up out of my direction. I will appreciate the free heat in the winter though
    2012 Civic EX Coupe, Dyno Blue

It happens mainly when recirculation is off, less when it's on. It's definitely noticeable and that never happened with my 2001 civic I just sold. Seem a little odd to me. In addition, the fan doesn't even have to be on for the heat to be noticeable.
    I have not needed to be in for an oil change yet, but since it's so annoying, I'm going to have it checked out. They'll probably just laugh, but it seems like a defect to me.

Big Pimping!!! stringfellowhawke's Avatar
    If the recirculating vent is off then its more then normal. My Mazda 3 was the same way. With the vent off you're pretty much pulling in heat from the engine. Now when its on you really shouldnt have much heat or air coming in at all. Just the inside air thats being circulated which may be a little warm if the ac isnt on, but defiantly shouldnt be excessive heat if the recirculating is on.
    2012 Honda Civic LX
    Dyno Blue Pearl

Big Timer!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mstan View Post
    I purchased a 2012 civic a little over a month ago and noticed excessive heat coming from all of the vents. The temp is turned all the way to cold and heat still comes from the vents, even with the fan turned off. Has anyone experienced this issue???
    Keep in mind it was summertime. Some manufacturers incorporated insulated duct work to avoid condensation and heat transfer. The new cars with cabin mounted computers, and especially with displays and high watt stereo systems will generate heat. When the A/C is OFF and the vents are open the cabin will receive outside air temps plus any additional heat induced by roadway heat and internal computers.

However, I do not know if the heater control restricts heater coil water or only regulates a damper. When a system incorporates a control "valve" all heating water "should" stop flowing and the temp of the water will eventually be neutral with the cabin, but when a duct damper is incorporated (and the heater core is located within the cabin radiating heat) you have a internal cabin vessel that is typically 195*; or whatever your operating temperature is.

excessive heat inside passenger cabin

Glad I found this forum. My 2012 Civic LX is only 2 months old and I noticed that my car's cabin also gets very warm even when the temp is cool out at 68 degrees! It's blowing hot air with the temp set at the coldest, fan off, recirculation on or off. The vents themselves are warm to the touch. I've taken my car to the dealer 2x and at first they told me it's normal to have warm air coming out of the vents especially if I let the fresh air in (the air temp, btw, was 75 degrees when I noticed it the 1st time). Also, the circulation is not good with newer cars. The only remedy I was given was to always have the a/c on.

Two days ago I went back, it was 68 degrees out, i was wearing shorts and a t-shirt with atleast 1 window down and I was still warm. I didn't even intend on going to Honda that day but I went anyway b/c I think it's unacceptable. I don't think it's normal that I need to turn my A/C on in the fall when the temp is cooler.

So, they used a thermometer and found that the air coming out of the vents is 98 degrees. WHAT???? They told me they tested another car and they're only a few degrees cooler than mine. The manager told me that it seems the 2012 Civics don't have a water cooling system - this regulates the heating/cooling of the air that goes inside that car-- as it's not mentioned in the manual.

I just read an article at Heater core - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. It says that engines that do not have a water cooling system can not use a heater core; one alternative is to guide air around the (very hot) engine exhaust manifold and then in to the vehicle's interior. Temperature control is achieved by mixing with unheated outside air. Depending on the design, this can cause a safety issue where a leak in the exhaust system will begin to fill the passenger cabin with deadly fumes.

I don't think I can live with this problem as it could be dangerous. If Honda can't fix it, I intend on getting my money back! Maybe we all should file a complaint to Honda USA. I've never had this problem with any of my cars, even my 96 Honda accord.

Big Timer!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasskibunny View Post
    ...."The manager told me that it seems the 2012 Civics don't have a water cooling system - this regulates the heating/cooling of the air that goes inside that car-- as it's not mentioned in the manual.....
    I just looked at my car and I have what appear to be the two hoses (supply and return) hot water system into my cabin. Now the mixing system may indeed be air as apposed to a hot water valve. I think you got some BS there. (Edit) Either one can fail or not shut off properly and cause your problem. And, I've heard that some car manufacturers who ship to the warm southern states do not include a heater core as standard equipment; but I have not read nor actually seen this.
    Last edited by Dieselnomore; 10-20-2011 at 06:10 PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.