9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Wiring tap the dome lights?

23K views 36 replies 9 participants last post by  luigiGsi 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I am new to forum and I have been digging through, so I finally decided to join.
My question is..

Anyone figured out where to wire tap footwell lights to go along with the dome light?

#2 ·
First, I have no idea which year or version your car is.
I'll say that the dome light control comes from the MICU inside the fusebox, and the wiring could be tapped at the harness connector in the fusebox area.

Next, you'd need a real wiring diagram (with the pics) to find which connector and wire.
It's a pink wire on a 2012, and the harness connector is attached under the bottom of the fusebox.

HTH

#3 ·
@Ez1 I have a 2013 Civic Si

I have a ledglow and its already installed, but what I want it to do is to turn on along with the dome light.

I also got this information just now. 2012- Honda Civic Vehicle Wiring Chart and Diagram
It says pink wire (-) .

Is that really the legit wire that i can tap into to have my ledglows turn on along with the domelight?

#4 · (Edited)
In your link, the chart listed a 4 wire connector with the pink wire in it....that's not quite it according to mine, there could be a 4 wire or there could be a 20 wire connector there, depending on the options in the car.

Man, you wouldn't believe the list of stuff I have to filter through just to get a wiring diagram for these cars now. I only need a generic one...

USA? Cal or Fed?
Canadian?
Mexican?
Engine?
Trans?
2 or 4 door?
Moonroof?
Navi?
Cruise?
Climate control?
Bun warmers?

Forget it. Just forget it. They all can't be much different, can they?
*random SI pick*

There's a section "entry light control system, and another for ceiling lights.

Aaaaand the diagram itself won't load.... Poop. Ill have to try again later. Sorry.

#5 ·
Well I guess Ill wait for another month and hopefully somebody puts up a DIY or accurate information with pics.

#6 ·
In my 2012 Si coupe (built in Canada but exported to the United States) without navigation or HFP the fuse that controls the Interior Lights (according to the owner's manual) is fuse 28 in the engine compartment.

That myth having been dispelled, you still need to find the mythical pink or green wire somewhere else. The reason is that if you add-a-fuse to fuse 28 for the power and ground it somewhere else the lights will always be on. For some weird reason Honda decided to make the interior light positive wire always "hot" and it is switched on/off by the ground wire being grounded or not.

This has been discussed a few times before here on the forum but I don't know if anyone successfully hooked up lights to it or not.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
@DWils Yea man all fuses are hot. I actually tried connecting my LEDglow ground wire to the door sensor and power line to the fuse. It actually works accordingly; turns off when door close, turns on when door open. Power is that ignition switch needs to be on :/..

@Paul99to17 link to that

#11 ·
Yup it works as long as the ignition is on. That was my experiment. Maybe you can use this idea tweak it up a bit.
If i can ground the positive wire to a contant 12v source (without turning on the ignition), my LEDglow would turn on pretty much with the dome light.
@DWils know any wires i can tap onto thats 12v and constantly have power?

#12 ·
Want me to post up some pics? or vid and point out how i did it and how it looks?

#15 ·
So to clear it up, its really the pink and blue wire in the 20 pin connector?
http://9th civic .com/gallery/albums/JA/sills10.jpg (get rid of spaces)

Also I notice he has a harness. He also didnt mention in the "what you need" a couple of joint connectors/wire splicers.

#18 · (Edited)
His door sill set up is good information. I don't want to buy an OEM kit when you can get a near identical one on ebay for so much less.
So I have some questions. maybe you guys could share some. I am doing my own wire tapping and its has a minor flaw. But it is working with the dome light.

One problem is that its not at the right power source. Sooo anyone know where to tap a constant power even when the ignition is off?

I have a 2013 civic si coupe. Yes I could try to use a power tester, but like i said, if you have some information to shar, id love to hear it.
If it works as I expect it to be. I would love to share and make a DIY thread.

#19 ·
#21 ·
I FIGURED IT OUT!!! I MADE MY FOOTLIGHT DIM WITH MY DIMLIGHT. Find me on Instagram - RashFlash . I posted a quick 15 second video how it looks like.

Should I make a DIY!?

#22 ·
No more harnessess! My next project is going to be intalling Illuminated Door Sill Side step.

#24 ·
I have finished taking pictures. I will post the DIY soon.

Anyway, anyone have any ideas about Transistors? I just need to know the type I need to I can have the LED lights slowly dim as it turns off just like the dome light does.

#25 ·
#31 ·
Or you could try my DIY. It only triggers when the door opens

That information about the pink and blue wire is useful though. Thank you. I can experiment with that.

#32 ·
Ok so update. With someone who messaged me a year later and whom followed my work and we put our info together, we both figured out which wires to tap. Both our cars are 2013, so i dont know if it will work on the following years as we know 2012 was different. We both figured out in the harness it is the BLUE (+) wire and the middle PINK (-) wire.

Have fun. Good luck. :)
The one that helped me was Jimmy
Thank you Jimmy.

#33 ·
Ok so update. With someone who messaged me a year later and whom followed my work and we put our info together, we both figured out which wires to tap. Both our cars are 2013, so i dont know if it will work on the following years as we know 2012 was different. We both figured out in the harness it is the BLUE (+) wire and the middle PINK (-) wire.

Have fun. Good luck.

The one that helped me was Jimmy
Thank you Jimmy.

Can you please post pictures, it would help greatly. If not I'll take mine and you can pin point it out. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.