9th Gen Civic Forum banner

misshifted today aljalkdsjfa

4K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  mrgarcia 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

So my dumbass formed a really bad habit of holding the shifter from the side when i shift from 3rd -> 4th, and while it works fine when I'm driving normally, it screwed me up today when I was accelerating at full throttle today.

Shifted from 3rd to 2nd @ about 53 mph. The car jerked and engine braked hard until I slammed the clutch in seconds later. Seems like everything is normal for now. Should I be concerned? I'm worried about long term damages. :facepalm::sad::sad:

Thanks!

#5 ·
If the car still drives, the clutch friction disk did not disintegrate, but a valve could have collided with a piston.
Some times when a valve gets bent. The engine still runs normally... right up until the head of the valve fatigue fails and destroys the engine.
Yeah! Lots of cash and tears... https://www.google.com/images?clien..._group&ei=mlEXVL6MHOG1iwKYj4DIBA&ved=0CBoQsAQ

At the very least I would do a leak down test.
I better would be to drop a borescope ( http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...borescope/_/N-26c2?itemIdentifier=186419_0_0_ ) down the plug holes to inspect the tops of the pistons for valve contact.

Or.
You could continue to drive the car, hoping you won't be walking back home.

#8 ·
You can achieve 53~ MPH in 2nd gear. It shouldn't have hurt anything. It's just not good to continuously do.

I don't see how you went from 3rd to 2nd. It's literally just a straight drop down to 4th. You must have pulled toward you for some reason?

#11 ·
I did this as well but I went from 5th to 2nd on the highway rpm gauge went to 8k this happen 3-4 weeks ago and today I was draining and refilling my MTF and was inspecting underneath car I saw oil on the sub frame and there was oil slowly dripping from around my oil filter. I believe this has something to do with the over rev. Does anyone know if I messed up the seal on the oil filter? I feel no loss in power and my oil level is fine.

#13 ·
Good grief, don't these cars have rev limiters?

#17 ·
So it only cuts spark when you're in gear?

#21 ·
Okay, thanks for the info. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.