Manual Driving Question
NEWS

1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Manual Driving Question

Manual Driving Question

This is my first manual car and I pretty much learned driving from it. Trial and error has taught me many things >:| One question I have is if I am in traffic can I keep my foot down on the clutch and stay in first gear for long periods of time without it causing any problems? I wont be using any gas so i wont be riding the clutch or can you still ride the clutch without hitting the gas? I like to put my chair all the way back since traffic can be so bad and I cant really reach the gear if I am laying down lols.
    Black Honda Civic 2013

Skunk2 MegaPower RR Exhaust
    Skunk2 Alpha Series Header
    K&N Intake
    P2R Throttle Body Spacer
    Hondata FlashPro
    VitViper Tune
    Hasport 70a RMM
    Acuity's Short Shifter(Handles like a dream)

80k miles and counting!

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

It will put additional wear on the throw out bearing, but not the clutch.
    Civi9 likes this.

Greenhorn
    Not a good practice in general, as it does wear throwout bearing as SYMAWD mentioned, but amount of wear isn't major, if you don't do it a lot. I would just let it coast in first gear or even put in neutral to coast if necessary before I would do what you're doing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Never sit for extended periods in first gear while holding the clutch in. That's a horrible habit. Slowly moving bumper-to-bumper traffic is only when this is acceptable. Imagine if you accidentally let off the clutch and bumped into the car in front of you... That wouldn't be good. Why would you want to hold the clutch, anyway? It can put strain on your leg and cause cramping.

Just put the car in neutral if you're going less than 10 MPH and coming to a stop. Get used to using the brakes at that point. First gear should only be used in slow, bumper-to-bumper traffic or to take off.
    scottyrocks likes this.

One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Dre View Post
    Imagine if you accidentally let off the clutch and bumped into the car in front of you... That wouldn't be good.
    LOL what? The car would just stall out. I don't think it is possible to "accidentally" take your foot off the brake and hold the clutch at the engagement point so that you would roll into the car in front of you. Come on. I am with you in that you should just put in in neutral and rest your foot on the dummy pedal just because that is the easiest thing to do physically.

Quote Originally Posted by HFP14 View Post
    LOL what? The car would just stall out. I don't think it is possible to "accidentally" take your foot off the brake and hold the clutch at the engagement point so that you would roll into the car in front of you. Come on. I am with you in that you should just put in in neutral and rest your foot on the dummy pedal just because that is the easiest thing to do physically.
    Hey, I've seen it happen. People panic and make mistakes. Sometimes you can roll backward and hit someone as well.

Just simplify things and use the brake.

Greenhorn
    The way that I was taught... If you are going to be stopped for more than 5-10 seconds, put it in neutral and put on the handbrake. If you are stopped at lights and are the 3rd car back, put it in neutral and put on the handbrake. Otherwise, leave it in gear and leave your left foot firmly planted on the ground.

Additionally, if you are stuck in traffic try to crawl along at low speed without stopping - it'll save you some left-leg-exhaustion

Also - you don't need to hold it at the engagement point - I've jumped off the clutch before by accident and the car has gone forward 3-4 feet, sometimes that's just enough to cause a problem.

One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Dre View Post
    Hey, I've seen it happen. People panic and make mistakes. Sometimes you can roll backward and hit someone as well.

Just simplify things and use the brake.
    BS. The thing you are not understanding is his right foot IS ON THE BRAKE! He isn't going to roll anywhere just because he likes to leave the clutch depressed(which has the same effect as neutral anyway). Even if he "accidentally" held the clutch at the engagement point(impossible imo) he still isn't going anywhere because his right foot is on the brake. I can't comprehend how you even think that up.

One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rushlink View Post
    The way that I was taught... If you are going to be stopped for more than 5-10 seconds, put it in neutral and put on the handbrake. If you are stopped at lights and are the 3rd car back, put it in neutral and put on the handbrake. Otherwise, leave it in gear and leave your left foot firmly planted on the ground.

Additionally, if you are stuck in traffic try to crawl along at low speed without stopping - it'll save you some left-leg-exhaustion

Also - you don't need to hold it at the engagement point - I've jumped off the clutch before by accident and the car has gone forward 3-4 feet, sometimes that's just enough to cause a problem.
    Why would you put the handbrake on stopped at a light? Seems like a useless extra step. Put it in neutral, rest your left foot on the dummy pedal and right foot on the brake.

With bumper to bumper traffic you have to get to the habit of the "half shift" 1st to neutral. Also called the "slap shift" because you slap the shift back into neutral because traffic is so f'ing slow! Just be careful if you have a heavy knob and it flys into 2nd...or even worse 4th!!

You want to grow habits that make driving more comfortable...sounds like you are probably driving tense which is usual since you are a new driver. Just think of ways that you would be more confortable. Starting off in bumper to bumper traffic then half shifting into neutral, letting your foot off the clutch, and coasting sounds a heck of alot more comfortable than holding the shift in first and pressing the clutch down. Not to mention less wear on the car. :-)

Heck in bumper to bumper traffic on a downslope I dont think I even use the tranny to move...brake and roll lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.