Brake Work
NEWS

1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Teeps

Thread: Brake Work

Greenhorn

Brake Work

I own a 2012 Civic EX and have to replace the rear rotors and pads. I will be keeping the car for several years and was thinking about Midas due to the lifetime warranty on the pads. Any other suggestions on brake work?
    Thanks
    Eric

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

If this is your daily driver and not very hard on the vehicle, then that is a great option. I would only suggest a more aggressive pad/rotor combo if you are an aggressive driver or have track days in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by emann9 View Post

I own a 2012 Civic EX and have to replace the rear rotors and pads.

Eric
    Why?
    Misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

Quote Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
    Why?
    Because brake wear is inevitable...

...ok i'm out!!

Marko!
    New project -> TORQUEYvic!
    ...gotta remember the Shoebox!! It won't be forgotten!! (08SSM GD3 Fit!)

Marto Legend! SOH6 and C*CKtails!
    Le **** Bulletin FM!! Des nouvelles pas full importantes qui permettent de savoir quelques affaires pour combler une discution avec une fille en attendant de s'ammuser avec cette mme fille, dans un Motel!

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCtor View Post
    Because brake wear is inevitable...

...ok i'm out!!

Marko!
    You funny, but also correct.

But, when someone posts that they need pads and rotors, especially on the rear of a Honda Civic.
    I have to ask why?
    Rotors should be good for at least 2 or 3 sets of brake pads, unless there was some underlying problem, not stated.

Trolls aside... I changed my rear pads before the front was due because i didn't do any brake maintenance, (shame on me!) they jammed and wore out... Then i also wore out the rear ones (EBC Red Stuff) before the front were needed. It's probably what happened here too. It's also typical on 09+ Toyota Matrix...

MArko!
    New project -> TORQUEYvic!
    ...gotta remember the Shoebox!! It won't be forgotten!! (08SSM GD3 Fit!)

Marto Legend! SOH6 and C*CKtails!
    Le **** Bulletin FM!! Des nouvelles pas full importantes qui permettent de savoir quelques affaires pour combler une discution avec une fille en attendant de s'ammuser avec cette mme fille, dans un Motel!

seems to be an issue...as i just replaced my pads on the rear of my '14 with 58K miles. i heard the squeal. checked the pads..all seemed to be good...squeal wouldnt' go away. so i completely removed the caliper and checked. the inner pads were completely worn out - while the outer pads looked brand new still. rotors were still fine as i didn't wait to do the job. however, it appears that HONDA isn't lubricating their slide pins well enough during assembly.

Brake Work-rear-pads.jpgBrake Work-rear-pads-1.jpg

my front pads....still looked brand new when i checked them. i did this when i changed my tires over to the winter sets, but went ahead and rebuilt the calipers and pins and such.

Brake Work-front-pads.jpg
    hiding from those who might be looking for me

POP Crew #61

2014 Black EX
    20% Global Tint
    Curt 1 1/4" receiver
    Weathertech In-channel visors

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by fear24 View Post
    seems to be an issue...as i just replaced my pads on the rear of my '14 with 58K miles. i heard the squeal. checked the pads..all seemed to be good...squeal wouldnt' go away. so i completely removed the caliper and checked. the inner pads were completely worn out - while the outer pads looked brand new still. rotors were still fine as i didn't wait to do the job. however, it appears that HONDA isn't lubricating their slide pins well enough during assembly.
    While we hate leaving serviceable pad material on the backing plate.
    Be happy the pad with the scraper went first and gave its obnoxious auditory warning.
    Saving you from having to machine or replace the rotors.
    fear24 likes this.

yes, i was thankful that the piece of metal did it's job and saved me from having to replace the rotors. as with tires, i don't skimp out on brakes. those are the two most important parts of my car as far as i am concerned. my safety totally is based on those two items. (why i have winter tires on my car, and both my daughter's). piece of mind.
    hiding from those who might be looking for me

POP Crew #61

2014 Black EX
    20% Global Tint
    Curt 1 1/4" receiver
    Weathertech In-channel visors

Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.