Wheel bearing or... ? - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheel bearing or... ?

Nooblets
    You mean like a tire shop? The two I've been to say the same thing, tires or bearings. I think I'll just bring it to honda and have their service department inspect it.
    Quote Originally Posted by team3d View Post
    you don't have any vendor you know that can tackle this issue ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Big Timer!!!
    j
    Quote Originally Posted by OJ Juicizzle View Post
    Alright everyone.. I need you guys to chime in again. Now here is all what I did in order (reminder its coming from back right wheel well so I think):

Changed rear passenger wheel bearing hub assembly
    Rotated tires (At this point i thought it'd fix it but still didn't)
    changed the other 3 wheel bearings (all skf bearings) still no...
    got new tires bf Goodrich gforce comp 2 a/s and still no!

This is very frustrating.. I've spent over 1100 dollars trying to track down this issue. Of course what ive done has its benefits but it still does the same low pitched humming noise.

I'm going to add that instead of when i go above 35+ mph it is whenever the car is rolling. It's a low howl sound.. almost like an owl and its faint but it is noticeable and sometimes you can hear it very well. More so that other drivers can hear it. I was coasting around 15 mph and still heard it. You can hear it better on a bumpy road. I'm out of ideas, I inspected the exhaust and it is solid as a rock and I doubt that has anything to do with it since it doesn't increase in vibration as rpm increases.

As far as I know, this is what I can think of whats wrong..:
    suspension..?
    brake caliper rubbing rotor?

Thanks for your input. Instead of trying to figure things out myself I'm about to take it to honda and have them look at it. All the mechanics i've taken it to say the same thing and i'm honestly surprised that its neither the wheel bearing or tires.
    Its never been in a side *quarter panel* collision?

Any distortion on the rear trailer arm?

Nooblets
    Previous owner was rear ended in the car, but apparently it wasn't bad. They used the same rear bumper, I know cause there is a part of the paint that is a little cloudy but hardly noticeable. When I first got the car, it wasn't there. It appeared one day and is more noticeable at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by mococaido View Post
    j

Its never been in a side *quarter panel* collision?

Any distortion on the rear trailer arm?

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    Hey OP, I think I'm just starting to hear this on my 2012 civic si with relatively the same miles (55k). Though I've only heard it going reverse (same place rear passenger side). It does sound like a odd low hum noise. I suspected it to be exhaust vibration or something, like something finally moved and the perfect RPM/vibration causes it. If it were a wheel bearing issues, when lifted the wheel will have play (wheel bearing diagnostic search). I've had this problem on a different car and I don't think this one has it yet.

*Edit*
    OP, can you back up for me and see if you can hear that noise. Hopefully you can hear it over the spool.
    Last edited by goldgorgon; 04-19-2017 at 09:30 AM.

One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    Check your brake pads. I started to have this last weeekend, about 60,000 miles on the odometer. I hadn't replaced the brake pads yet (ever). Anyway I just got done taking the pads off. Kind of a PITA job because of the Michigan corrosion. The driver-side rear outer pad was worn down to bare metal. The other 3 rear pads were extremely low, but no metal showing yet, and the indicators wouldn't have engaged yet.
    Yesterday when I spoke to the dealership to get a quote, the guy mentioned that they try to service brakes around 30k, and I was well-beyond that.
    2013 Civic Si Coupe (Rallye Red)
    Suspension mods:

Progress 24mm Rear sway bar
    Moog Bushings
    Moog greasable endlinks
    SPC adjustable rear camber arms
    Curt Trailer Hitch

Engine/Transmission Mods:

Hasport 62a Rear & Top Motor Mounts
    Clutch-delay valve delete
    Speed bleeder
    K&N engine air filter and cabin air filter
    Weighted shift knob
    MTEC Shifter Springs
    Vit Tune (in progress)

Electrical Mods:
    Viper 4806v Remote Start
    Hard-wired Dash cam
    PIAA headlights and yellow fogs

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    I forgot to ask: did you ever jack up the car and rotate each wheel by hand before doing anything? That's a potentially good way to isolate a noise coming from a corner.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

Nooblets
    I'm bringing it on monday for honda to look at it for me. Now that you mention it, I remember a mechanic saying that my brake pads were rubbing and that this is normal. I don't think the has has ever had brakes serviced, we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
    Check your brake pads. I started to have this last weeekend, about 60,000 miles on the odometer. I hadn't replaced the brake pads yet (ever). Anyway I just got done taking the pads off. Kind of a PITA job because of the Michigan corrosion. The driver-side rear outer pad was worn down to bare metal. The other 3 rear pads were extremely low, but no metal showing yet, and the indicators wouldn't have engaged yet.
    Yesterday when I spoke to the dealership to get a quote, the guy mentioned that they try to service brakes around 30k, and I was well-beyond that.

Nooblets
    I did that when I was diagnosing what I thought was the wheel bearing but at the time i couldn't hear anything then. Since then it's gotten worse.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyrocks View Post
    I forgot to ask: did you ever jack up the car and rotate each wheel by hand before doing anything? That's a potentially good way to isolate a noise coming from a corner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.