Wheel bearing or... ?
NEWS

1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Wheel bearing or... ?

Nooblets

Wheel bearing or... ?

So I've been hearing this weird humming or ringing noise while going 35+ mph and it seems to be coming from the rear passenger side wheel well. I replaced wheel hub assembly with skf hub assembly. Didn't fix the problem. Then i rotated the tires... didn't fix the problem. So what I'm doing now is I ordered another skf rear hub assembly and two FW48 skf front wheel bearings. Getting them pressed in a few days after they arrive. If this doesn't work, what should my next approach be? Any advice would be wonderful. I was planning on investing in skunk2 coil overs but since this humming has cost me wheel bearing all around and i still have to pay for the wheel bearing to be pressed in, its going to be a little bit still :/

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Did the noise start suddenly?
    How many miles on the car?
    OEM tires?
    Miles on tires?

My order of suspicion, based on your statements above:
    Noise path, i.e. exhaust system touching the body.
    Tires
    Wheel bearing
    Misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

Nooblets
    The noise gradually started, getting louder and more noticeable by the day
    car just turned 50,000.
    Car has OEM tires, tire guy said I'll need to replace them soon but they are okay for now.
    I bought the care when it had about 31,000. IDK if they are oem or not.

Since they were rotated and the sound stays in the same spot, i dont believe it would be the tire. Exhaust system touching body could be possible, didn't think of that but if that was the case i'd feel vibration correct? I dont feel vibration so im thinking its a wheel bearing. I mean, sound travels... but i couldve sworn it was coming from the rear right side. hopefully im not spending for no reason

Quote Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
    Did the noise start suddenly?
    How many miles on the car?
    OEM tires?
    Miles on tires?

My order of suspicion, based on your statements above:
    Noise path, i.e. exhaust system touching the body.
    Tires
    Wheel bearing

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OJ Juicizzle View Post
    The noise gradually started, getting louder and more noticeable by the day
    car just turned 50,000.
    Car has OEM tires, tire guy said I'll need to replace them soon but they are okay for now.
    I bought the care when it had about 31,000. IDK if they are oem or not.

Since they were rotated and the sound stays in the same spot, i dont believe it would be the tire.
    Exhaust system touching body could be possible, didn't think of that but if that was the case i'd feel vibration correct?
    I dont feel vibration so im thinking its a wheel bearing. I mean, sound travels... but i couldve sworn it was coming from the rear right side. hopefully im not spending for no reason
    Not necessarily. Even though sound is caused by vibration, it may not be intense enough to be felt from the driver's seat.
    With 50k on the original tires, I would not spend money on other stuff until the tires are replaced.
    Misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

Nooblets
    Thank you I will have to pick some up if this doesn't work.. wheel bearings are already on the way. I should've gotten tires first

Quote Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
    Not necessarily. Even though sound is caused by vibration, it may not be intense enough to be felt from the driver's seat.
    With 50k on the original tires, I would not spend money on other stuff until the tires are replaced.

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    Wheel bearing noise is generally always there, increasing in frequency as speed increases. If you are hearing the noise beginning at 35mph, I would not bet on the wheel bearings.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but dont say it mean.
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

Nooblets
    thanks scotty. do you think that it could also be the tires even though the tires have been rotated?

Quote Originally Posted by scottyrocks View Post
    Wheel bearing noise is generally always there, increasing in frequency as speed increases. If you are hearing the noise beginning at 35mph, I would not bet on the wheel bearings.

Nooblets
    Alright everyone.. I need you guys to chime in again. Now here is all what I did in order (reminder its coming from back right wheel well so I think):

Changed rear passenger wheel bearing hub assembly
    Rotated tires (At this point i thought it'd fix it but still didn't)
    changed the other 3 wheel bearings (all skf bearings) still no...
    got new tires bf Goodrich gforce comp 2 a/s and still no!

This is very frustrating.. I've spent over 1100 dollars trying to track down this issue. Of course what ive done has its benefits but it still does the same low pitched humming noise.

I'm going to add that instead of when i go above 35+ mph it is whenever the car is rolling. It's a low howl sound.. almost like an owl and its faint but it is noticeable and sometimes you can hear it very well. More so that other drivers can hear it. I was coasting around 15 mph and still heard it. You can hear it better on a bumpy road. I'm out of ideas, I inspected the exhaust and it is solid as a rock and I doubt that has anything to do with it since it doesn't increase in vibration as rpm increases.

As far as I know, this is what I can think of whats wrong..:
    suspension..?
    brake caliper rubbing rotor?

Thanks for your input. Instead of trying to figure things out myself I'm about to take it to honda and have them look at it. All the mechanics i've taken it to say the same thing and i'm honestly surprised that its neither the wheel bearing or tires.

Nooblets
    bump

Quote Originally Posted by OJ Juicizzle View Post
    Alright everyone.. I need you guys to chime in again. Now here is all what I did in order (reminder its coming from back right wheel well so I think):

Changed rear passenger wheel bearing hub assembly
    Rotated tires (At this point i thought it'd fix it but still didn't)
    changed the other 3 wheel bearings (all skf bearings) still no...
    got new tires bf Goodrich gforce comp 2 a/s and still no!

This is very frustrating.. I've spent over 1100 dollars trying to track down this issue. Of course what ive done has its benefits but it still does the same low pitched humming noise.

I'm going to add that instead of when i go above 35+ mph it is whenever the car is rolling. It's a low howl sound.. almost like an owl and its faint but it is noticeable and sometimes you can hear it very well. More so that other drivers can hear it. I was coasting around 15 mph and still heard it. You can hear it better on a bumpy road. I'm out of ideas, I inspected the exhaust and it is solid as a rock and I doubt that has anything to do with it since it doesn't increase in vibration as rpm increases.

As far as I know, this is what I can think of whats wrong..:
    suspension..?
    brake caliper rubbing rotor?

Thanks for your input. Instead of trying to figure things out myself I'm about to take it to honda and have them look at it. All the mechanics i've taken it to say the same thing and i'm honestly surprised that its neither the wheel bearing or tires.

you don't have any vendor you know that can tackle this issue ?
    9th gen civic only online store, please visit Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.