9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Auto Transmission leak/crack? (pictures included)

10K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Teeps 
#1 · (Edited)
Auto part Transmission part Metal Engine
Just hit 50k miles on my 2012 auto lx 4door. The shifts have been a little rough, so I decided it's time to change the ATF (automatic transmission fluid) even though Honda said it was fine at around 48k miles when I got my oil change. Got that gravel cover off and discovered this (imgur.com/a/J0BLa) Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive tire
gunk all over the back side of the transmission across from the drain plug. I don't think it's my exhaust it was clean, rusty but not gunky. What do you think? Will Honda honor this under the 60k or 5 year warranty?

See less See more
#7 ·
View attachment 448442 Just hit 50k miles on my 2012 auto lx 4door. The shifts have been a little rough, so I decided it's time to change the ATF (automatic transmission fluid) even though Honda said it was fine at around 48k miles when I got my oil change. Got that gravel cover off and discovered this (imgur.com/a/J0BLa) View attachment 448450 gunk all over the back side of the transmission across from the drain plug. I don't think it's my exhaust it was clean, rusty but not gunky. What do you think? Will Honda honor this under the 60k or 5 year warranty?
Probably not.
What can you expect?
Tech should clean the area in question.
Apply a white leak check powder.
Send you on your way for a few thousand miles.

If this were my car:
I would clean the area.
Remove the bolt viewed in the photo.
Clean the threads of the bolt, and threaded hole.
Then apply thread sealant rated for oil/hydraulic fluids.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...1-_-permatex&gclid=CL_v756ku9MCFc9gfgodftMA0Q
Reinstall the bolt, torque to low end of spec.

#10 ·
The 1.8l engine does not have an oil pan gasket, per se.
Text Font Product Line Diagram

And, in my experience, machined surfaces of Honda products, that are sealed with a liquid gasket, do not randomly leak.
When improperly sealed they will leak within a few minutes of running
Something smells to me; but Hey! At least the leak is fixed...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.