Oil FAQ - oil and filter change questions and which brand to go with? - Page 267
NEWS

  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

    Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 267 of 267 FirstFirst ... 167217257265266267
Results 2,661 to 2,670 of 2670
Like Tree601Likes

Thread: Oil FAQ - oil and filter change questions and which brand to go with?

  1. #2661
    Greenhorn
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    3
    I've been reading this thread really thoroughly and got a lot of information out of it.
    Can't believe you guys can talk this much about this topic
    Silver2Coupe, Teeps and MeeSh like this.
    Car enthousiast and dog lover @ doggytime.nl

  2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

  3. #2662
    Platinum Member Roadcourse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Dixie
    Posts
    5,812
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdamian7 View Post
    I've been reading this thread really thoroughly and got a lot of information out of it.
    Can't believe you guys can talk this much about this topic
    Me neither.
    Silver2Coupe likes this.
    Only the knife knows what goes on in the heart of the pumpkin......unknown

    Actively respect those that either died or endured misery....so you could be free.

    Drain the swamp. Force term limits.

    "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to make people believe he doesn't exist".......a movie.

  4. #2663
    Platinum Member Silver2Coupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,755
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdamian7 View Post
    I've been reading this thread really thoroughly and got a lot of information out of it.
    Can't believe you guys can talk this much about this topic
    There is a lot of advertising over the years that have to be debunked. When you realize that any oil with a API rating is good enough for most applications and the under normal driving can go to the maintenance minder. The main reason is because the fuels are better with lower sulfur with 15 ppm compared to 300-500 ppm and sulfuric acid is not the problem with lower base stocks as in the past. On the race teams and tracks I was a part of in the past tried to discourage the use of synthetics due to harder clean up on the tracks. We used a cheap oil and just changed it more often. When we used a good synthetic oil we had heat issues after a few races and they blamed it on the motor breaking in. Basically a oil only has to be as good as the application requires and over kill with additives and base stocks dont always benefit you in the long run.
    Civic POP Crew #3

  5. #2664
    Platinum Member Teeps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    2,016
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdamian7 View Post
    I've been reading this thread really thoroughly and got a lot of information out of it.
    Can't believe you guys can talk this much about this topic
    I blame it on marketing and the perceived need to belong to some club, group, or community. In another forum there were actually "clubs" within the forum, for such things as exhaust pipes, handle bars, the use of a car tire on a bike and of course oil... it was very entertaining to read some of the discussions.

    As Silver has stated below; I offer several anecdotes where cars were driven several hundred thousand miles, all with frequent oil changes, with what ever oil was on sale at the time.
    All, with zero engine problems.

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver2Coupe View Post
    There is a lot of advertising over the years that have to be debunked. When you realize that any oil with a API rating is good enough for most applications and the under normal driving can go to the maintenance minder. The main reason is because the fuels are better with lower sulfur with 15 ppm compared to 300-500 ppm and sulfuric acid is not the problem with lower base stocks as in the past. On the race teams and tracks I was a part of in the past tried to discourage the use of synthetics due to harder clean up on the tracks. We used a cheap oil and just changed it more often. When we used a good synthetic oil we had heat issues after a few races and they blamed it on the motor breaking in. Basically a oil only has to be as good as the application requires and over kill with additives and base stocks dont always benefit you in the long run.
    Well said Silver; nothing more to see here... move along!
    Roadcourse and Silver2Coupe like this.
    Misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

  6. #2665
    Super Mod's Pet DOHCtor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Quebec City!
    Posts
    666
    0W20 AMSoil Signature Series and a Fram Ultra Filter always served me well! 140 400miles later, i still dont use any oil except the one that gets thru the PCV and get trapped in the ''Low buck'' catch can! And that is like, 10ml per OCI...

    Marko!
    Silver2Coupe likes this.
    New project -> TORQUEYvic!
    ...gotta remember the Shoebox!! It won't be forgotten!! (08SSM GD3 Fit!)

    Marto Legend! SOH6 and C*CKtails!
    Le **** Bulletin FM!! Des nouvelles pas full importantes qui permettent de savoir quelques affaires pour combler une discution avec une fille en attendant de s'ammuser avec cette mme fille, dans un Motel!

  7. #2666
    Platinum Member Silver2Coupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,755
    Quote Originally Posted by DOHCtor View Post
    0W20 AMSoil Signature Series and a Fram Ultra Filter always served me well! 140 400miles later, i still dont use any oil except the one that gets thru the PCV and get trapped in the ''Low buck'' catch can! And that is like, 10ml per OCI...

    Marko!
    Nothing wrong with Amsoil but Honda oil is also good. I think the catch can is the reason to your low oil consumption. Glad to see you are back around.
    Civic POP Crew #3

  8. #2667
    Super Mod's Pet DOHCtor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Quebec City!
    Posts
    666
    Nahh.. My car never really consumed any oil but, it used to throw oil in the intake manifold via the PCV valve at a steady, low rate... Had to clean the manifold once when the car had something like 150 000km and i installed the ''low buck'' catch can (a simple fuel filter from a 1983 Prelude..) on the PCV line. No more oil in the manifold and it's a 2$ replacement every 2 OCI!

    Marko
    New project -> TORQUEYvic!
    ...gotta remember the Shoebox!! It won't be forgotten!! (08SSM GD3 Fit!)

    Marto Legend! SOH6 and C*CKtails!
    Le **** Bulletin FM!! Des nouvelles pas full importantes qui permettent de savoir quelques affaires pour combler une discution avec une fille en attendant de s'ammuser avec cette mme fille, dans un Motel!

  9. #2668
    Big Timer!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver2Coupe View Post
    Nothing wrong with Amsoil but Honda oil is also good. I think the catch can is the reason to your low oil consumption. Glad to see you are back around.
    Pretty much all oil today is good, including the ConocoPhillips oil Honda rebadges.
    Silver2Coupe likes this.
    Rim: "outer edge of a wheel, holding the tire"

  10. #2669
    Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    24,766
    Quote Originally Posted by CodyTC21 View Post
    I mean I'm doing the service myself? I know it take 0W-20. But what brand do you guys usually buy? Mobil 1 synthetic 0w-20?
    I hate servicing myself.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but dont say it mean.
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

  11. #2670
    Super Mod's Pet DOHCtor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Quebec City!
    Posts
    666
    Being Anal as i am, i prefer to do that personally... Not many guys will fill the filter with clean oil before installing it as i do. They could, however, overfill the motor, strip the treads on the oil pan or screw the filter like crazy because they don't give a damn about another car they see today...

    Marko!
    MeeSh likes this.
    New project -> TORQUEYvic!
    ...gotta remember the Shoebox!! It won't be forgotten!! (08SSM GD3 Fit!)

    Marto Legend! SOH6 and C*CKtails!
    Le **** Bulletin FM!! Des nouvelles pas full importantes qui permettent de savoir quelques affaires pour combler une discution avec une fille en attendant de s'ammuser avec cette mme fille, dans un Motel!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2