Oil FAQ - oil and filter change questions and which brand to go with?
NEWS

1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 267 1231151101 ... LastLast
Like Tree601Likes

Thread: Oil FAQ - oil and filter change questions and which brand to go with?

sew

Oil FAQ - oil and filter change questions and which brand to go with?

Yesterday, I worked with a friend who has an 87 Chevy truck, that he bought new in 1986, that now has 406,800 miles on the odometer which stopped working last year when the clutch was replaced. So it has more miles than that. It has had 3,000-4,000 mile oil changes using Pennzoil 10-30. The engine has never had the heads off or any major work(except water pump). I've always obsessed about types of oil, oil filter selection, and oil change intervals. I nearly always put between 100,000 and 200,000 miles or more on my cars. Have never had a car use oil except my 1964 1/2 Mustang, back in 1965, which had a bad motor from the start. I use Pennzoil syn in CRV and have been using Mobil 1 Extended Range 5-30 in Si but am changing to 0-30 Amsoil for Si. However, I think many of us, self included, obsess over something that is truly not a problem unless we really use our cars to the extreme limit; and even then, is likely not a problem. IMO, any of the synthetics will provide better protection than we will ever need. Spending more and changing more often will likely just be wasting money. I change at 10-15% on the gauge. I've been driving for 50 years, maintained my own cars, worked as an oil chemist for a while doing longevity research, so I've had some experience along this line. I do believe our Si engines, especially if mod'd, ask a lot more out of oil than that 87 Chevy truck, but I also believe they are a lot higher quality. These are just my opinions, only substantiated by my experience.
    It is natural to want to take the very best care of our pride and joy, but it can get to where more done and more money spent is just wasted. The 3,000 mile oil change is way out dated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sew View Post
    Yesterday, I worked with a friend who has an 87 Chevy truck, that he bought new in 1986, that now has 406,800 miles on the odometer which stopped working last year when the clutch was replaced. So it has more miles than that. It has had 3,000-4,000 mile oil changes using Pennzoil 10-30. The engine has never had the heads off or any major work(except water pump). I've always obsessed about types of oil, oil filter selection, and oil change intervals. I nearly always put between 100,000 and 200,000 miles or more on my cars. Have never had a car use oil except my 1964 1/2 Mustang, back in 1965, which had a bad motor from the start. I use Pennzoil syn in CRV and have been using Mobil 1 Extended Range 5-30 in Si but am changing to 0-30 Amsoil for Si. However, I think many of us, self included, obsess over something that is truly not a problem unless we really use our cars to the extreme limit; and even then, is likely not a problem. IMO, any of the synthetics will provide better protection than we will ever need. Spending more and changing more often will likely just be wasting money. I change at 10-15% on the gauge. I've been driving for 50 years, maintained my own cars, worked as an oil chemist for a while doing longevity research, so I've had some experience along this line. I do believe our Si engines, especially if mod'd, ask a lot more out of oil than that 87 Chevy truck, but I also believe they are a lot higher quality. These are just my opinions, only substantiated by my experience.
    It is natural to want to take the very best care of our pride and joy, but it can get to where more done and more money spent is just wasted. The 3,000 mile oil change is way out dated.
    I completely agree with you Sew! Synthetic oils right now are capable of so many more miles than people even realize. The 3k mile limit is just like a "rule of thumb" people just love to follow. Which isn't bad but changing your oil really often really isn't a "treat" for your car. If the oil is still good replacing it really isn't changing anything. My last oil change was 500 miles under 0% lol maybe more and when I changed it it wasn't even bad. Granted the only reason I did that was because it was mid winter and it was nearly impossible for me to change in the snow, but just goes to show how lasting good oil is. During that time I was actually worried about changing so late but my dad told me it'd be fine and turns out he was right. Never gonna fret about it again lol

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

Thumbs up

Hi Sew, I've been running Amsoil in my current car with 160,000 miles as basically an insurance policy on keeping that motor in as decent condition as possible shy from a complete rebuild. I'm looking to get a 2012 Civic Si, and will probably go with Amsoil once she's fully broken in (say just under 20,000 miles). The gear box will get it too. I agree, the 3000 mile oil change is somewhat old now - even the Honda dealership I live near posts 5,000+ miles for their oil changes (non synthetic).

sew
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    Amsoil The gear box will get it too.
    I put in the Amsoil manual transmission fluid in my 2008 Si just recently. It made a significant difference. I personally feel it is best to definitely break in the engine well before going to synthetic as the break-in essentially stops when the change to synthetic is made. I will often go up to 10,000 miles before the change to synthetic with 2,3,or even 4 changes prior.
    Incidentally, though previously posted, my son traded his 1998 Honda Accord with 322,xxx miles last year. It used virtually no oil. It had only had conventional oil.

Synthetic = new cars
    Non synthetic = cars with 75k miles
    It's good to change oil at 3 -5k but you should really change oil within 5 months depending where you live Evan if you drove 500miles within 5 months. I usually change oil before winter or when freezing temps arrive. Humitaty during summer bring water in to block so it's best to change before winter so you dont crack your block.

Thumbs up

I put Amsoil in my commuter Toyota when it had 103,000 on the odometer and held my breath wondering what will happen. I was lucky with this car in that there appears to be no MAJOR leaking (spark plugs were dry when I recently replaced them, no blue smoke, etc.), but putting a synthetic in a new motor (like your third or fourth oil change), seems like a good insurance policy to keep the motor with good compression and durability for years down the road. Another good benefit for running synthetics is they supposedly free up some power to the wheels, I know royal purple claims this as a marketing point for them, but I would think all synthetics will give you this benefit too... at least I hope so? I'm definitely switching to synth by my third or fourth oil change with the new civic.

I typically run Castrol synthetic in my daily drivers....never done me wrong either.
    Hidden Content Go hard or go home, but never go home hardHidden Content

Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

^^ ya thats fine..royal purples sick tho! expensive but good lol

Quote Originally Posted by CHRISP1 View Post
    ^^ ya thats fine..royal purples sick tho! expensive but good lol
    yeah its great stuff but a little pricey for a daily driver.

now something truely performance and if you plan on running it very hard then i can see using it. But i will stick with my Castrol/Mobil 1 Synthetic for the civic
    Hidden Content Go hard or go home, but never go home hardHidden Content

Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Talon View Post
    yeah its great stuff but a little pricey for a daily driver.

now something truely performance and if you plan on running it very hard then i can see using it. But i will stick with my Castrol/Mobil 1 Synthetic for the civic
    100% agreed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 267 1231151101 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.