9th Gen Civic Forum banner

From BMW's to '12 Civic EX Sedan

9K views 48 replies 17 participants last post by  bluestar 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been a long time BMW driver (M3's, Z4, and 7-Series) and I just traded out of my latest, a 2001 E38 BMW 740i Sport w/89k miles Black on Tan... for a 2012 Civic EX Sedan Silver on Gray Auto.

I went from 17mpg to 35+! I was at $90 fill-ups twice a week on the V8.

I'll miss my bimmer days... But times are changing and this was the right move for the money.

Now I just need tints, wheels and a drop... then were in business.

#6 ·
I had 30mpg all weekend on city driving and 38mpg this morning on my ride to work.

This is pretty good. But I miss my 7-series... :( It's all the little details that are now gone which I will miss the most.

Alas, this is temporary. Next year there should be a V12 8-series in my garage just for occasional driving.

#9 ·
Welcome to the 9th!
You should have kept the BMW it's hard to give it up just love the way they drive, I still have my 2001 X5 just use it for weekends and special occasions other than that it's in the garage, for every day use we drive a 2002 Acura 1.7 EL (3) Honda Civics 2002, 2005 & 2012 the MRS wants me to give up the Acura as we only need 4 cars, enjoy your new 2012 I'm liking mine especially at the gas pumps seems to take a little longer between fill ups.

#12 ·
Hah I would love to own a BMW, but I probably wouldn't be able to drive it properly on the account of them having to take my left arm and right leg :\

Welcome though!

#14 ·
I know =(
I know =(

But I was actually making payments on the 7-series since it was recently acquired and so the smart thing to do was to let it go. This way I'm not paying money for a car that's just sitting in my garage.

In the household it's just my wife and our baby daughter of 15 months. We rock my wife's CX-7 for family stuff and shopping. I'm using the Civic as a commuter car. But my heart is just aching for something sexy that put's me in my seat when I step on the throttle. I really think I'm gonna keep my eye open for an 8-series.

For now, I'm loving the extra MPG's. Seems like I'll be able to sustain higher than 35mpg on my daily commute. This is super awesome. But I need to individualize my Civic or I'll feel like a mom.

Here's a list of planned mods, in order, and as soon as they're available:
- Tinted Windows
- Coilovers
- 18" Wheels
- HID Kit for Headlights
- HID Kit Fog Lights
- Hybrid Door Mirrors + LED Bulbs
- Hybrid Tails + LED Bulbs
- Clear corners (I think headlight is one piece, will probably have to mod the headlight)
- Interior LED Bulbs
- License Plate LED Bulb
- White Interior Mood Lighting (under dash and seats)
- White Lighted Door Sills

#16 ·
I ordered my HID kit already. Went with a brand named Kensus off of amazon.com for about $92 shipped. I chose 6000k HB4's with slim digital ballasts. They offer a 2 year warranty.

Tints are next. I also want to make the roof black, but I'm contemplating vinyl or paint at the moment.

I think I'm going to choose the 18" HFP Wheels offered as an option for the 9th Gen and I'm hoping someone comes out with a suspension lowering option soon.

#17 ·
After tints, I will get the stock fog lights and install them, and add an HID Kit to them as well. I think I will choose 6000k for the fogs as well, to match the low beams. If not, 3000k.

#18 ·
I'm deffinately going black top once I get a white sedan. I'm most likely going to do vinyl though. I know this one place that you can get it done for about 100 bucks and it lasts about three years. For fogs I think I rather go with yellow ones.

#19 ·
Here's my Sedan EX in all of it's stock glory!

Attachments

#20 ·
More here... sorry for the crappy iPhone quality.

Attachments

#22 ·
^ yeah the silver really carries out those lines, nice.

#23 ·
My HID's shipped out! Can't wait to get them.

#25 ·
Enemy,
Why didn't you get an Si if you want a little more punch?
Incidentally, my wife and I just returned from a 5 1/2 day trip(2231 mi, mostly interstate, 70-75 mph/ A/C). Lowest milage 35.3, highest 38.6(filled up with 397.6 on odo and 4 dots remaining on fuel gauge), overall avg over 37. Not bad for a car with <7 secs 0-60. I've owned BMWs and prefer the Si to the larger automatic sedans. 135M could be a different story.:)

#26 ·
1. Si is not out yet. I wanted to be done with that gas guzzler ASAP.
2. non-Si is better on the fuel.

I imagine if I went on a road trip with my EX like you did in your (Si, i guess?) that I would get higher mpg's than that. On my daily drive to and from work where it's a mix of 70% hwy and 30% city... I get about 35mpg easy on this 2012 Civic EX.

And it's not so much that I must have more punch, I'm just simply gonna miss it. I can live with this sacrifice. The more I drive my Civic, the more I'm starting to like it.

I know I made the right choice.

#27 ·
I'm convinced you will love your Civic. Quality and economy of ownership
Is hard to beat. Yes, mine is an Si(2008 4- dr). Interstate driving
usually avgs 36-37 mpg and regular highways 37-41.5. I drive fairly
fast but gently. The Si can get excellent mileage: don't have experience
with recent non-Si Civics. Last regular Civic I had was a 75(75-79)
And owned a 76 530I manual(76-79) at same time. We actually
preferred driving the Gen1 Civic. Our 2008 CRV(EX-L 2-wd),
Gets appx 31-32 oh reg highways but drops to 25-26 on interstate. Drag really
Affects it. Going to 0-30 syn from 5-30 made a noticeable difference
but I don't understand why it would make any difference once
warmed up. Be sure to use 0-20, not 5-20. Going to Continental DWS
Tires immediately increased mileage 1-2 mph.

#28 ·
Tints are on. 35% all around.
HIDs are installed. 6k low beams.

High beam 6k HIDs are on order.
Fog light 6k HIDs are on order.
Fog light kit is on order.
LED interior lights on order.
Blue under dash lights on order.

I even bought a Recaro Baby Seat for my daughter :D

Can't wait to have everything installed.

At this point all I need is wheels and a drop. Oh, and smoked head/tail lights.

#29 ·
any new pictures?

#30 · (Edited)
Stock on left, HID on right.

Both HIDs

Sexiness!

Sorry for the iPhone quality pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.