9th gen Civic drag coefficient
NEWS
 

  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

    Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: 9th gen Civic drag coefficient

  1. #1
    Big Timer!!!
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    102

    9th gen Civic drag coefficient

    Hi I was wondering what the 9th gen Civic drag coefficient was, and what exactly was done to the outside body to make it more aerodynamic. I read about the underbody panels, the hood and mirrors, but I wanted to know what they did with the back (trunk area). It seems as if they raised the back end to make the trunk tilt upwards. I also read about the 2005 toyota camry and it said that it had a drag coefficient of 0.28. It said on some site that the Civic's drag has been reduced by 9% compared to the 8th gen. Is this car more aerodynamic than the 2005 toyota camry or is it equal to it?
    Last edited by skaarj; 10-20-2012 at 01:43 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Psycho Vigilante FooBird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    8,085
    Can't tell you. It's probably in the neighborhood of 0.26-0.30 where most cars are. Drag reduction is achieved through targeting design features that keep the airflow attached to the car, minimizing vortex shedding. That can be achieved in a few ways:

    1) Any reduction of turbulence in the flow. Specifically sited in the 9th gen design is smoothing of the underbody to prevent unsteady flow.

    2) The continuously sloping roof on the back of the coupe and decklid placement can help reduce the drag. The abrupt change at the back of the car will typically create a swirl (best seen in the idea of drafting on semis, bike races, etc - the vehicle in the front creates a "hole" in the airflow that is low pressure). That will change the flow patterns behind the car, effecting the flow in the front and by tapering the back of the car, you can minimize/maximize some of that effect to help improve the drag coefficient.

    3) The HF is lowered a bit to help in the aerodynamics. You want to minimize the total effective frontal area of the car.

    4) The body lines along the hood and the sides of the car can be designed to minimize the flow separation. The angles which the seams point along the side of the car will act like tracks for the air to flow along.
    Last edited by FooBird; 10-19-2012 at 09:44 PM.
    My signature actually might not randomly change on me now. bluestar?
    Hmm just noticed this signature... well I may not be BlueStar but enjoy

    HI UNGA BUNGA - Das FOo!

    K24Z7 Crew Member #11
    HFP Crew Member #11

    2012 Honda Civic Si Coupe - Crystal Black Pearl
    2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road - Barcelona Red

  4. #3
    Psycho Vigilante FooBird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Issaquah, WA
    Posts
    8,085
    0.31 Honda Civic (Sedan) 2006-2011
    0.28 Honda Civic (Coupe) 2006-2011
    0.27 Honda Civic (Hybrid) 2006-2011

    Gotta keep looking for the 2012 stuff...
    My signature actually might not randomly change on me now. bluestar?
    Hmm just noticed this signature... well I may not be BlueStar but enjoy

    HI UNGA BUNGA - Das FOo!

    K24Z7 Crew Member #11
    HFP Crew Member #11

    2012 Honda Civic Si Coupe - Crystal Black Pearl
    2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road - Barcelona Red

  5. #4
    Search before posting.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    5,026
    Quote Originally Posted by FooBird View Post
    0.31 Honda Civic (Sedan) 2006-2011
    0.28 Honda Civic (Coupe) 2006-2011
    0.27 Honda Civic (Hybrid) 2006-2011

    Gotta keep looking for the 2012 stuff...
    If the 9% reduction that skaarj said is true, and the reduction holds true through all three mentioned body styles, then the sedan should be 0.28, the coupe should be 0.25, and the hybrid would be 0.25 (rounding up) to bring it in line with your supposition that the drag coefficient should be between 0.26-0.30. Of course, those are not the Honda numbers (just me multiplying each coefficient by 0.91), so they could be slightly different. Therefore, the drag of the Civic sedan would be the same for the Camry sedan.

  6. #5
    Junior Member milehighclub's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    CYUL
    Posts
    23
    When i bought my 1983 firebird (in 1984...) Cx was 0.32 ... That was about 30 years ago !

  7. #6
    Beware the Corn-a-Saurus! bluestar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Livingston, TN
    Posts
    4,294,967,292
    Quote Originally Posted by DWils View Post
    If the 9% reduction that skaarj said is true, and the reduction holds true through all three mentioned body styles, then the sedan should be 0.28, the coupe should be 0.25, and the hybrid would be 0.25 (rounding up) to bring it in line with your supposition that the drag coefficient should be between 0.26-0.30. Of course, those are not the Honda numbers (just me multiplying each coefficient by 0.91), so they could be slightly different. Therefore, the drag of the Civic sedan would be the same for the Camry sedan.
    U forgot to consider in the phase of the moon and what it means in the wiccan calendar... Lol

    Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    Beware...the Zombie Apocalypse is coming.....followed by the uprising of the Smurfs....recommend stocking up Ramen Noodles now!!!

    K24Z7 Crew Member # 1
    Former Owner of 2012 CBP Si Sedan


  8. #7
    Platinum Member Jamis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NWOH
    Posts
    1,567
    I've noticed that the rear bumper facia was changed for the 9 gen. It looks like it sweeps up more at the ends and sticks out a wee bit more across the back. This could also help with air leaving the car.
    2013 CBP EX-L sedan w/Navi.: K&N Drop In
    16,800 Mi.;Avg MPG:33 city;44 hiway;87 E10;ECON On
    24 mos. old, not a single problem, issue, or recall.

    I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
    Old Age & Treachery Trumps Youth & Exuberance.
    9TH Civic POP Crew #24
    45,384 more Civics than Cruzen in '14

  9. #8
    Greenhorn
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    18
    Who said 9% lower!?!? Most websites state 3.4% lower than 8th gen, for example, here on msn autos:


    "Honda never cites actual drag coefficient figures, but claims the new Civic has best-in-class aerodynamics, with a Cd 3.4 per cent lower than the 2011 model - and the Hybrid is even slicker still." (link here)


    Road and track says there's an extra 4.4% cd lowering for the hf, but they don't say compared to what (compared to the normal 2012 civic models, or compared to last gen civic non-hf models?):


    "For the hypermiling frugalista, there’s the [2012] HF model whose coefficient of drag is lowered by 4.4 percent through flush wheels, aero underbody/gas tank covers and a rear lip spoiler." (link here)

  10. #9
    Big Timer!!!
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean888 View Post
    Who said 9% lower!?!? Most websites state 3.4% lower than 8th gen, for example, here on msn autos:


    "Honda never cites actual drag coefficient figures, but claims the new Civic has best-in-class aerodynamics, with a Cd 3.4 per cent lower than the 2011 model - and the Hybrid is even slicker still." (link here)


    Road and track says there's an extra 4.4% cd lowering for the hf, but they don't say compared to what (compared to the normal 2012 civic models, or compared to last gen civic non-hf models?):



    "For the hypermiling frugalista, there’s the [2012] HF model whose coefficient of drag is lowered by 4.4 percent through flush wheels, aero underbody/gas tank covers and a rear lip spoiler." (link here)


    I think I it said 6% actually but maybe the site was wrong and I don't remember which site it was.

  11. #10
    Search before posting.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    5,026
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestar View Post
    U forgot to consider in the phase of the moon and what it means in the wiccan calendar... Lol

    Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    Son of b*tch! I knew I forgot part of the calculation! It just seemed too easy. I should have known better. I blame the miscalculation on yesterday being an odd-numbered day. From now on please disregard any of my comments made on odd-numbered days.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Similar Threads

  1. 2012 Civic SI drag times
    By Switchblade242 in forum Autocross & Sanctioned Drag Racing
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 09-25-2014, 07:22 PM
  2. Drag wheels
    By noobie in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-29-2013, 02:57 PM
  3. 15 inch drag rims for 2012 Civic SI Coupe
    By topgun1ice in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2012, 02:56 PM
  4. Drag wheels...
    By bradensullivan in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-04-2012, 02:14 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2