TruHart Coilovers
NEWS

1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: TruHart Coilovers

Greenhorn

Thumbs up TruHart Coilovers

2015 Civic Lx 5MT
    Hello, everyone. I wanted to find an affordable way to gain more control and response of my my ride. So, I did a lot of searching and over the past couple months i had ran across these TruHart Coilovers for the 9th gen Honda civics. At 630$ and quite cheaper than all the other types of suspensions on the market, i decided to take on this en-devour of seeing what these Coilovers had to offer me and my pursuit of better ride quality.
    These are twin-tube shocks and therefore have pros and cons vs. mono-tube designs. Of course, you dont need me to explain the differences, as the info of this is all over the web. What i do want to dive into is my overall experience with this Coilover and the newer company expanded to the US market for the 9th gen civics. I've come across very few reviews of anyone with a 9th gen civic with these Coilovers. So, here is my experience, it may help you decide what kind of ride you are looking for and if these will full-fill your need for a better ride in your own Honda Civic.

I bought the Truharts with expedited shipping and received them through ProCivic.com. They came to me in a 50Lb box with 4 smaller boxes within it. the packaging was mediocre at best. But, bubble wrap was present on all parts that would shift in the boxes. A few nicks from shipping through UPS, like always. No difference here as I've gotten coilovers with horrible packaging and so these get my approval. The struts had stickers with the TruHart brand name on it and not all of them were stickered straight. Nobody is going to see these logos anyways, so this is not a concern of mine because I know that I am the only one that is going to be looking under there anyways, its the quality of design and performance that I seek in a set of coilovers. Once I removed the packaging there are a few things that I notice right away. One, like any coilovers should, they came with new tophats/upper mounts and they were already attached with the spring, but not pre-set spring preload!, not a big deal, everyone should always modify their spring preload to their liking anyhow. Two, the threading on the strut to the strut lower mount looked very clean and all struts spun cleanly without abrasive feedback when screwing in and out. Three, the camber plates in the front were not set to zero or any specific presetting and again, this is always a modification you want to do depending on your preference. So quality of shipping and product, visual and workmanship, was up to par with any other coilover system Ive purchased in my 15 years of modifying the suspensions on all my cars. Visual and function. A+

Install was a breeze. All the necessary items were present when installing the coilovers and there were no modifications needed what-so-ever to make these babies bolt-on ready (other than the obvious personal settings which is your preference and minor razorblading of rubber mounts). The most important thing that I found to be great about these coilovers was the fact that all the brake line, speed sensor and sway bar links were a perfect fit and only took a few poundings of a hammer to position them exaclty where I wanted them to be. But, they were still exactly where they should be and ease of mind knowing zip ties were not holding my brake lines from grinding away on my rotors or worse. Fitment, A+

Now for the moment of truth, the ride quality. Once I set all my spring preloads, ride height and rear strut lengths I was ready to give it a test run. I knew I needed some time for it to set in. So, i took it for a 2 hours drive on roads i knew were harsh and also about 30 minutes of highway driving. Waiting.....3 days later and 350 miles, the struts and springs were set nice and i will be honest, they needed no adjustments. As in, they all set the same amount and evenly. This is a plus, I knew the struts and springs were manufactured well and consistently. Alright, so the main question, How did it feel?! I have to start by saying that you need to know what I was looking for before You can understand my opinion of these coilovers. In my pursuit I was looking for a system that would increase my drive-ability without sacrificing ride quality. What i got was just that. Comparable to the Eibach Sportline (non-adjustable) set that i had purchased for my 2000 civic SI. Very stiff front end, responsive and nearly no body roll. Rears have slightly and I mean slightly more movement than the front and this is what gave it the slight comfort feel. But, I want to stress that in no way are these coilovers (TruHart) "squishy" or "soft" as some people may think or read about in the very limited places you can find a review of these coilovers. Now, I am experienced with installing coilovers and the like so I have an understanding of how to set my spring preloads and strut travels based on what I wanted to achieve. Ride quality, adjust-ability and ride height range. A+

Now these coilovers do not have the strut dampening adjustments because they are the StreetPlus but, I was not looking for a racing suspension. I was seeking a functioning coilover that would dramatically increase my response to the road and fit my driving style. As strut dampening is for track use and time attack situations, street driving or light tracking just does not need a complex multi step system. For example, I am taking 90 degree turns with a 2 1/2 inch drop (at the least) at 35+ miles an hour with no problems and little to no body roll. So, this system has everything I need with the reliability and longevity of the twin tube design that was most important to me. I did not want cavitation or leaking after one year of street use on monotube shocks that have no warranty or so short of a warranty that the company cant even back their quality. But for tracking and drag racing, monotubes take the cake hands down.

I would recommend the TruHart StreetPlus coilovers for the enthusiast looking to greatly improve their cars handling characteristics and give a sporty feel without dumping your life savings to achieve it. These struts and springs are more than compliant to my aggressive driving and corning habits. So, if you want an affordable, reliable and quality suspension for every day driving without breaking your back to do it, these coilovers are just as good if not better than Godspeed, Koni or HFP and are compairable to the Eibach Sportline suspension, these are going to cover your needs.

ANY questions on install, fitment issues or even what spring pre-load you should have, I can help answer these questions. Because on a non-dampening adjustable suspension like the TruHart StreetPlus, your ride quality and feel is going to be solely on your spring preload and strut travel rate.

Ill post in this thread once I can upload and get some quality pictures of my car as it sits. I hope this helps anyone or everyone to decide what kind of coilover the Truhart StreetPlus has to offer and if they are right for them. Trust me, I am not affiliated with the company. This is my opinion and they are great quality for the money. You cant beat a lifetime manufacture warranty either.
    Last edited by Gromlet; 03-11-2016 at 07:49 PM.
    colint, scottyrocks, W3R0 and 2 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Thanks for the review, i was looking at these the other day.
    Gromlet likes this.

Greenhorn
    Before:

After:

Note: 17" wheels with 40 profile tires and around a 2"+ drop. Engine dust cover is +/- 1 inch from flat ground.
    Last edited by Gromlet; 03-12-2016 at 03:14 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

ITruHart Coilovers-imageuploadedbyag-free1458002163.868555.jpg

I am also on TRUhart coils

FG3 SQUAD #61
    scottyrocks, MeeSh and Gromlet like this.
    FG3 Squad #61

Greenhorn
    Gromlet, loved the review and nice setup. I've been looking to go ahead with this decision for a while now. Would you happen to know the spring rates of the TruHart combo? I can't seem to find it online. I've also found some info on pairing the TruHart shocks with another spring such as the Neuspeeds. Has anyone did this and could possibly post some pics. Looking forward to this thread.
    Gromlet likes this.

Greenhorn
    Does anyone else have pics on truhart coils??

Greenhorn
    Great review Gromlet!
    I think these might be the ones for me.
    Gromlet likes this.

Greenhorn
    These coilovers can not be used with Neuspeed springs, as far as i know. I am not sure of the spring rates on them either. Still rides great after a couple more weeks since first post.

Greenhorn
    You very well have convinced me to go ahead and make the purchase. Great review!
    Gromlet likes this.

Greenhorn
    Anybody can do the dirty work for me and post the cheapest source where one can purchase a set of these coilovers? Much appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.