9th Gen Civic Forum banner

14-15 front suspension noise fix

22K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  ketchup 
#1 · (Edited)
So first I want to start off by saying sorry to Eibach for bashing their product. It was not the springs causing the aweful popping noise.

Ok well onto what everyone wants to know. I ordered a bunch of 2011 civic Si parts to use on my 2014 si sedan to test the theory of the plastic bearing we have not holding up to the stress of lowering. I was having the worst luck getting rid of the popping and creaking sounds. This fix should work for coilovers and springs. Here is a list of parts I ordered.

Parts
51402-SNA-903 1 right seat
51403-SNA-903 1 left seat
51722-SVA-A04 2---- not needed
51726-SNA-G01 2 bearing
51920-SVB-A03 2 top hat
90304-S10-024 6 new nuts

The main difference is the 8th gen uses ball bearings to help with friction. The coils are also wound differently. Ours are reversed. So I had to use the right spring seat for the 8th gen on the left(driver) suspension. Fit like a glove. Takes a lot of force to push the bearing onto the top hat. I did not try to reuse the original top hat, the part numbers were different. The bump stops from the 8th gen are longer (do not buy them) I just reused the originals. New nuts because the other were rounded off from repeatedly taking stuff apart. Noise is completely gone.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm sticking this for its ingenuity and usefulness to anyone with this issue.

Thanks for the time and dedication, Dan. :thumb:

#5 · (Edited)
Thank you so much for this. I'm going to do this I believe. This is just for the front end though, correct? I don't believe I'm having any noises in the back, just the front.
I put all the required parts in the checkout cart and it comes to $190.14

I do not include the bumpstops 51722-SVA-A04 correct? Just wanted to make sure that's the only thing you didn't need. How many miles have you driven on this since you installed all these parts? I had a shop install my suspension so I would be giving them parts and your description on here to explain to them what you did. I just want this noise to go away. If it takes $190, so be it. I also have TruHart Shocks installed on mine. Will these instructions still work or is that only for OEM shocks? Sorry for all the questions.

#7 ·
Correct you do not need the bumps stops, reuse yours. Don't really need the 6 nuts either, but mine were all rounded off from taking everything apart. Currently at 160 miles since I did this and the noise is still gone. This fix will work for all suspension that reuses the 9th gen top hat.

#6 · (Edited)
I haven't tried the Eibach Kit, but I have had the D2 Racing Lowering Springs on now for 3,000 miles and I absolutely love them on my Si Coupe. Better than ANY Honda or Integra that I have ever driven. It is night and day from the stock setup. They are stiff, they are low, they improve the handling immensely, and lower the COG, and the car has almost no body roll. It feels like a track car on the street, and they are totally quiet and it feels great. It lowered the car by 2" in the rear and by 2.5" in the front. It feels aggressive, low, and perfect. :)

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks for your reply Dan, I will be doing this soon. I will go ahead and buy the nuts just to be on the safe side. Are you using bumpstops that came with your aftermarket springs or still on stock? I Never did install the Eibach bumpstops that came with my springs, I just cut my old ones.

One other question, when you said it takes a lot of force to push the bearing into the top hat, is the mechanic gonna look at me and say "this doesnt fit" or do I need to say, yes it will fit, just push lol.

#15 ·
Maybe I'm lazy lol but I'm just now ordering these parts. :(. Noise only comes from my right front. Does that mean I can just order 1 of everything here or do I still need 2 bearings etc? Also, I see you used the new right spring seat to put in left side. Do I need to use the left for the right then? Just trying to see what I need if I'm only doing the right front. Thanks.

#17 · (Edited)
Any more confirmations that this fixed the problem for good? Before I spend a couple hundred on parts..

My car just developed the problem at 14,000 kms (~8750 miles) total, about 8,000 kms (5,000 miles) after my Swift Spec R springs were installed.

To answer the above questions, the spring seat/bellows are side specific. From my research for my Swift Spec R Springs.

On the 9th gen (looking down on the spring):
Left is Clockwise/Right is Counter Counter Clockwise

On the 8th gen
Left is Counter Clockwise/Right is Clockwise

All swift spec R springs are clockwise.

#20 · (Edited)
I have a noise in the front suspention that i suspect may be just that as i have Tein lowering springs... Get on a completely trashed road (let's call it, Beyrut avenue..) no noise. Get on and off sidewalks, no noise. Go on the highway at 60-65Mph and every cracks in the asphalt will go TAC-TAC-TAC-TAC... Very annoying. I will change them for 8th Gen style top plates and bearings if the top plates are diagnosed as defective as i have no doubt those will be more reliable..

Marko!!

#24 ·
Noise FIXED. Thank you to all who have figured it out. I own a 2015 civic si and I had ordered the parts exactly and *wallah*. Aside from the normal sounds any set of springs make it is a 95% fixed and I could say that my mind has come to rest. Follow this thread exactly(with the exception of the bolts)(purchase if necessary). THANK YOU

#26 ·
anybody else done this fix? Have the same noise with my eibach springs, bought the KYB hat and bushing for 2011 civic, but when I put them together they where to loose and since the first post says that they fit snug I return them, waiting to but the OEM parts.

#27 ·
I did my 2015 coupe lx about 1500 miles ago. I installed the prokit and used all the part numbers that "staff 6 dan" suggested and I have not heard any noise at all, the 8th gen parts are so much better quality than the 9th gen hats. Don't know what Honda was thinking. I also used white lithium grease anywhere I could to help with friction. I bought mine off ebay and used the KYB parts. The bearings or hats were hard to get on the springs. The car drives so much better now. It has dropped about 1.25 "

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#28 ·
I did my 2015 coupe lx about 1500 miles ago. I installed the prokit and used all the part numbers that "staff 6 dan" suggested and I have not heard any noise at all, the 8th gen parts are so much better quality than the 9th gen hats. Don't know what Honda was thinking. I also used white lithium grease anywhere I could to help with friction. I bought mine off ebay and used the KYB parts. The bearings or hats were hard to get on the springs. The car drives so much better now. It has dropped about 1.25 "

Thank you for your reply, I thought that the tight fit was between the hat and the bearing, not those and the spring, good to know, thanks for the clarification.

#30 ·
You might want to post this in the For Sale Section with pictures and a price.

Don't forget to include details that are not included in the post in this thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.