9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Replacing Dampers in Coilovers

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Hatman 
#1 ·
So sitting here and considering my suspension options. Shame Bilstein and Ohlins aren't available for our cars. So that has got me thinking and researching. Using BC racing as an example, the bottom sleeve just screws on the bottom of the damper.
Bistein has a generic motorsports damper that is threaded. It's also an inverted monotube.

Brush

Now of course it is wishful thinking that the 2 are the same size but I see a way that could be possible. Maybe there is enough room to have an adapter made. I would need to know the OD of the damper and the ID of the coilover sleeve.

Now of course why would some one do this in the first place. Most agree that Swift springs are some of the best. (I use BC as an example because I can order custom Swift springs and rates that work with the rest of the components.) Bilstein is one of the best damper manufacturers out there. These dampers are able to be rebuilt/revalved o your hearts desire. I wonder if it's possible to do this? Have a truly custom coilover setup. Thoughs? Flames? Am I and idiot for thinking like this? :p

See less See more
#2 ·
Seems like no one is interested.... :p
Well it's a shot in the dark but if anyone has a set of BC Racing coilovers, would you be able to take some measurements for me? Contacted BC and they are only giving me half of what I need.
I would need Shock body height front and rear and the piston shaft length, collapsed is fine. BC gave me stroke lengths and thread sizes. I'll attach a pic of the measurements I would need.

Thanks if you can help out! Getting closer to finding a Bilstein solution. This is one of the last pieces of the puzzle.

#3 ·
#4 ·
I have contacted them and they do have applications for my car. I've been watching Shaikh from Fatcat Motorsports and they use Bilsteins with a custom valving setup. He's got tons of videos describing his philosophy on suspension tuning. I'm really digging the direction he's taking. It's opposite of what is normally done with coilovers these days. I highly recommend you check it out if you want to geek out on suspension stuff. :p

#7 ·
So sitting here and considering my suspension options. Shame Bilstein and Ohlins aren't available for our cars. So that has got me thinking and researching. Using BC racing as an example, the bottom sleeve just screws on the bottom of the damper.
Bistein has a generic motorsports damper that is threaded. It's also an inverted monotube.

View attachment 426025

Now of course it is wishful thinking that the 2 are the same size but I see a way that could be possible. Maybe there is enough room to have an adapter made. I would need to know the OD of the damper and the ID of the coilover sleeve.

Now of course why would some one do this in the first place. Most agree that Swift springs are some of the best. (I use BC as an example because I can order custom Swift springs and rates that work with the rest of the components.) Bilstein is one of the best damper manufacturers out there. These dampers are able to be rebuilt/revalved o your hearts desire. I wonder if it's possible to do this? Have a truly custom coilover setup. Thoughs? Flames? Am I and idiot for thinking like this? :p

i think you should just do it, i wanna see the results...

never seen a custom build coils yet....

#8 ·
I'm really leaning towards it. The issue is really money. I'm pretty sure custom fabrication cost a penny. My welding skills are pretty much zero, actaully I have none. Lol :p I just really don't like the current crop of coilovers.
I realy do think the budget brands are probably not bad. I think the weaknesses stem from the Springs but especially the Dampers.
Having looked at the Bilstein, Ohlins and Penske (and the cost of those dampers) that's the bargain brand coils biggest weakness. Any suspension worth it's salt is using those dampers as a base.

So some info has come in from BC. The threads are 53mmx 2.0. Bilstein has yet to get back to me but I do know that the width of the Universal Motorspots Strut is 52mm wide at the threads..... uggg.... so close. So I can't even sleeve them to make them fit a standard BC coilover kit. Not enough room. So I have to make lower mounts. I'm probably going to use front upper pillowballs from BC because thats less R&D and machining I have to do. Also use there rear spring mounts for the same reason. Perhaps I can order Swift springs from BC also? That way they fit the parts I'm already using.

Now that leaves me with having to see if I can get a fully threaded Bilstein Strut, for the front ( the strut comes only partially threaded) and lower mounts. I believe the strut come with spring perches already.
The rear strut is kind of an issue. If I can't thread the whole strut body that's going to cause issues. I'll need that to adjust height on the rear.

So the current hold up will be waiting on Bilstein. I have found a shop in Texas Vorshlag LLC they use Bilstein and seem to know their stuff. They are a distributor for Bilstein and I quote "Bilstein: In 2012 Vorshlag became one of a very small number of Bilstein Motorsports dealers in the USA, which gives us access to the full line of their Bilstein OEM-style monotube shocks, their "tuner" line of PSS series shocks, as well as the Bilstein Motorsports line-up. These Motorsport models include offroad and racing shocks as well as shock components, to potentially make bespoke dampers. This can allow us to make one-off shocks, to help racers with cars that are not supported by the major manufacturers. Look for more exciting things from this line-up in the future."
These guys might be my answer. So now I sit back and wait for answers. I'll keep you all posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.