9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Help! Newbie here tryna lower my car but dont know s***!

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  fergy016 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i'm new to cars and what not and the lingual when it come to cars in general but i have been doing light research here nd there. Anyways, , i just got a 2013 civic ex nd i was thinking of lowering it. Preferably springs. I've been lurking other threads nd im leaning towards the prokit as many has stated that it'll give a more stock ride feeling without lowering tooooo much. My question's', is it ok to change to lowered springs on a car that already has 40k miles? Is it cheesy to just lower it with stock tires (195 65 15?) and wheels (hubcaps) or do I HAAAVEE to change the wheel nd tire when lowering the car? (cant fine any photos of cars lowered on stock tires and wheels to help justify )

any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
I would think it wouldnt be much of an issue to lower a car that has 40k miles on it. Also it doesn't matter if its cheesy or not...its YOUR car and as long as you like how it looks who cares right? Although just to clarify....you said you have a civic ex but the tire size you have is for the lx...also the ex doesn't have hub caps it comes with alloys...

#3 ·
Hey! I just want to let you know that H&R are great springs to start! I installed mine this weekend and it's fine! My Civic has 38k miles on it and so far it's still good. I have stock wheels and rims.

The ride feels stock and it definitely looks 1000x better!

Haven't gotten a chance to post a good picture but I can later today!

#4 ·
Here's a picture from right after it was done. Took it out for a ride. Now it's time to let the springs settle a little more and it should go lower. ??

Attachments

#10 ·
Totally agree. I wouldn't do springs without struts. You already have decent wear on them and lowering springs will stress them out a little more than stock springs and increase the rate at which you wear them down.

I know that adds to your budget but when it comes to modifying cars taking the cheap way out more often than not leads to other expenses because you have to fix or replace something you wouldn't have to dump money into if you save up and do it right the first time.

That would definitely be my advice to a newbie. Don't do it cheap, do it right.

#9 ·

youtube video - VThXWWTArDM
youtube video - q-dA4GQn2EI

I don't know if an SI is much different than an EX, but here are some good resources. It is just part swapping, just keep an eye on the ABS/Brake lines and not to leave them hanging tight where they might break.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.