9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Wilwood big brake kit

116K views 217 replies 35 participants last post by  PeaceOfPizza 
#1 ·
I was bored and I found out that wilwood makes a big brake kit that is compatible with the rear parking brake.. Has anyone installed this? I think the turbocharged guys would have it because you would naturally need more stopping power with horsepower.

#2 ·
Wildwood brakes are nice but extremely noisy,I honestly think the si has great balance,I added SS lines and dot 4 and it made a world of a difference,next will be ebc brakes in the spring.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#7 · (Edited)
Using the HFP 18" With Ichiba 15mm spacers w/studs. Gives about a 5mm clearance between the spokes and caliper. The kit only comes with the front set. It is matched to work with the stock rears.

View attachment 98265 View attachment 98273

HPD also sells spacers but you have to be one of their Racing Line members.

for people that wanna run 17" wheels, and want a light weight monoblock 4 pistons calipers that costs 50% less than stop-tech... i would recommend buddy club brake kit for the si...

for auto-x members, unloaded buddy club calipers weights @ 6.2lbs each vs st40's 7.75lbs !!!

#11 ·
Stop techs work with out spacers on 17 inch rims ( factory)?

#12 ·
I asked about the wilwood brake kit because they have the big brake kit for the rear and it lets you keep the rear ebrake function. Plus it clears the 17 inch wheel albeit that you must pay 2500 dollars all in. I figured I'd rather have this brake kit with the ct engineering supercharger becaus eits the same price as PRL's stage 2 turbo with all the goodies

#22 ·
I'm really not interested in doing that anymore,I'm going to probably get the trunk brace,after I make sure my amp will still fit after.but not worried about brakes.

#25 ·
Unless you go on a racetrack with your car, stock brakes are more than fine even with added HP. For light track use, SS brake lines, good set of pads, and dot 4/5 brake fluid is what you need. Initial bite of a big brake kit is not better, braking distance is determined by the quality of your tires and the outside temperature when your on the steet. Brakes on the SI are very good (109ft 60-0 tested on MotorTrend).

And more importantly, most BBK mess with the front/rear bias, which will result in an off-balanced car when braking hard. If you're about to spend a lot of money on a BBK, make sure to treat both front and rear.

#26 ·
Yeah from reading all the comments above i think I'm probably just gonna do the Hawk HPS brake pads, SS lines and maybe the stop tech rotors i see on procivic. The BBK looks really complicated and buddy club really should offer a rear brake option with a functional e-brake or like you said it will upset the brake balance.

#31 ·
ti-ben,

if rear is necessary, i don't understand why mugen called their civic bbk "mugen advance complete brake system" and only offer the front brake upgrade ? can you tell me why mugen only offer front brake & not the rear ??

and why a pure honda tuner like spoon also only offer front brake upgrade ?

#32 ·
Bisimoto's Civic is a 1/4 mile race car, not a track car. Question to ask to yourself before you buy a BBK, are you planning to go on the Nurburgring with it or abuse your car in a similar way? Yes, then buy them. No, then upgrade your pads, SS brake lines and dot4/5 fluid and call it a day. UNLESS you want to have really nice calipers that stand out to make your setup look better, that's another story.

My point is if you keep your car on the street and are looking for best performance for your brakes BBK is not necessarly the answer. If you say this is not true, then you are not being honnest.

#34 ·
Both posters are making good points. Remember Honda has 100s of millions of dollars for R&D to optimize parts,that no tuner or "one off shop" has and is dedicated to racing.There is a high degree of redundancy/ durability built into their cars from an engineering perspective. Most performance street cars would probably never see the benefit for a complete and upgraded system but unless one does very frequent inspections and service on their own car and has the experience to know what to look for and tune, you could be putting yourself and others at risk...and all it takes is a split second for a mechanical failure at speed.

#40 ·
you just need to follow godspeed's "big red" build & you will be fine...

@ 300whp (k24/k20 Frankenstein build n/a motor)... they also use the similar brake set up we sell on group buy... this is a proven & a very economical set up that work as good as a $2000+ bbk

Big Red's Build
Engine:
K24/K20 Frankenstein (~300hp / 220 trq DYNOPACK)
CP Pistons
Gorilla Rods
Drag Cartel 4.0 Cams
Supertech Valve Train
Godspeed Intake 3.5in intake
RRC Intake Manifold (Port / Polish)
RC Injectors 750cc
J37 (TL-S SHAWD) Throttle Body
Berk's Technology custom oval exhaust
Hondata Flashpro (Tuned by Church's Automotive Testing)

Drivetrain:
Gearspeed rebuilt transmission
Type R Final Drive 5.01
Kaaz 1.5 way LSD
Competition Clutch Stage 4
Competition Clutch Flywheel
Hybrid Racing shifter

Suspension:
Tein Monoflex
Godspeed Rear Camber Kit
PCI Spherical bushings

Brakes:
Acura TL-S Brembos
Project Mu Club Racer brake pads
Motul RBF-660 brake fluid
Goodridge SS Lines

Wheels / Tires
Advans RS / RZ
17x9.5+25 / 17x8+38
Hankook RS3
255/40/17 / 215/45/17

#44 ·
sleeping panda got a similar set up, which is type-r brembo + s2k rotors...

a used tl type-s brembo set up will end up cost as much as a brand new buddy club bolt on caliper kit.

& tl type-s set up will require universal spacers (3~6mm) to correct the offset (install behind the rotors), which is not recommend for safety reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.