Driver's Door Will Not Unlock In Cold Weather
NEWS

1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Driver's Door Will Not Unlock In Cold Weather

Driver's Door Will Not Unlock In Cold Weather

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone can provide some insight on this issue since the service department at the local dealership have been of little help. We purchased a 2012 Civic LX in October of this year and everything was fine until the cold weather struck. One morning when the temperature was below freezing, I went out to unlock the car with the key fob. The lights flashed, I heard a noise, but none of the doors would open. This problem resolved itself when the temperature rose during the day, but the same issue repeated itself the next morning when the cold weather returned.

Once I had access to the vehicle later in the day, I changed the door lock programming to allow all doors to open with one press on the key fob rather than none of them opening if the driver's door did not unlock. This helped on the next cold morning, as only the driver's door would not unlock now, which isolated the issue. While inside the car, I tried the lock/unlock buttons on the driver's door. All other locks in the car locked and unlocked, but the driver's lock did not move. The same thing happened when I used the key fob. I tried to manually push the lock button open like you would in an older car, but the lock would not budge.

I have an appointment with Honda in a week, but I was hoping to get some ideas as to the problem from anyone here that may have experienced something similar or have heard of this problem.

Thanks!
    Digger likes this.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Beware the Corn-a-Saurus! bluestar's Avatar
    sounds like your locking mechanisim is freezing up somewhere.... but i dont know why it would be unless theres moisture getting down in there...
    Beware...the Zombie Apocalypse is coming.....followed by the uprising of the Smurfs....recommend stocking up Ramen Noodles now!!!

K24Z7 Crew Member # 1
    Former Owner of 2012 CBP Si Sedan

Sounds like there is moisture in there. Did you try any door lock antifreeze?. Sometimes on my last Civic when it got cold enough the door wouldn't open when I pushed the button on my key fob but if I put the key in the lock it would reluctantly open.

I thought the door might be sticking due to ice, but when you pull the handle, you can't feel the latch release. I don't know how any moisture might have gotten into the locking mechanism. I also tried using the key to unlock the door and that yielded no results. Looks like the warranty will be used early!
    Digger likes this.

Sounds like it is something in the mechanism then. They will probably take off the door panel and fiddle with it.

I have been having the same problem since last 2 days...the doors wont unlock but I could open the trunk. The dealer here asked me to get the car on a day when the weather is going to be below freezing again so he can recreate the issue. I spoke to 2 dealers in the vicinity and both said they have not heard of this issue before. I also tried to contact Honda Customer Service and apparently even they didnt have any solution yet...Let me know if you find any solution...Thanks
    Digger likes this.

Same thing is happening to my civic. Please do let us know what the problem is after your visit to the dealership
    Digger likes this.

Also seeing same issue. Considering entering the car through the trunk as it is the only thing I can open. Will be calling my dealer this morning. Just lucky this happened at home. Will post any solutions ASAP.
    Digger likes this.

Same problem with me. Just happened yesterday morning and it caused me to be late to work by a hour.

I found the only way to unlock it was to use the valet key instead of the remote fob. What's strange is later on in the day as the temperature got warmer, the remote started to work all of the sudden!

Btw, I tested it with both pairs of remotes and they had the same problem that morning. Even stranger is that all the other buttons BESIDES the unlock button works on both the remotes. You can lock the door, open the trunk, or hit the panic button and the alarm goes off. But no unlock, and not just the driver's door but all the doors.

I thought I was the only one.. if this happens again i'm definitely gonna be pissed.
    2012 Civic LX Sedan Urban Titanium
    9th Gen Civic Member #1894
    9th Gen Civic Garage #1123

R18 Crew Member #1123

I called the dealership, few people reported having the same issue. The dealership doesn't know what is causing that problem because no one had it fixed yet. They said they only way to diagnose this is to leave my car there overnight when it's really cold in hoping that his problem will occur when they open during business hours.
    Digger likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.