Civic X makes me sad
NEWS

1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Civic X makes me sad

Civic X makes me sad

Did anyone else see this,
    Project Civic X — Bone Stock on High Octane – VitTuned Blog

Kinda makes me sad that i am not going to keep up with an EX civic
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #88
    --------------------------------
    2013 RR Si FB6
    -----------------
    Skunk2 - Cai
    Flashpro - Vittuned
    Hasport - RMM 62a
    RV-6 - Catted Downpipe
    Invidia - Q300
    Yellowspeed - Coilovers @ 33%
    GodSpeed - Rear Camber Arms & Rear Sway Bar

Acuity - Shifter, Cable Bushings, Transmission Spring Upgrade

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    60 - 90 lb-ft of torque and 40 - 50 whp over stock on just a fuel upgrade? Sounds too good to be true.

S2C has gotten lots more mpgs using 93 instead of 87, although not as much on his current car with the CVT, but all that hp and torque? Hmm . . .
    Roadcourse and Silver2Coupe like this.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but dont say it mean.
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

Top Dawg!!
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyrocks View Post
    60 - 90 lb-ft of torque and 40 - 50 whp over stock on just a fuel upgrade? Sounds too good to be true.

S2C has gotten lots more mpgs using 93 instead of 87, although not as much on his current car with the CVT, but all that hp and torque? Hmm . . .
    Believe it -- that's what happens when the car has a turbo and is very detuned from the factory. The clutch on our test car is already crying. It's slipped twice in dyno testing and twice in street testing. The motor is making a LOT more torque than when I started.
    scottyrocks and RujoKinJal like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Its very detuned due to LSPI which can destroy an engine quickly. What are you doing to prevent the carbon build up that is haunting all the car manufactures? Performance gain is no gain if it wont make back from the track.
    Civic POP Crew #3

Top Dawg!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver2Coupe View Post
    Its very detuned due to LSPI which can destroy an engine quickly.
    That's the stupidity of "experts" on the internet talking. When tooners can't figure out what they did wrong, they throw out big words or acronyms to justify their failure. I have the new WRX's making 400wtq+, had the MS3 making 360-380wtq. Oddly they seem to be alive.

LSPI isn't a new concept that just recently popped up. It affects even port motors -- lugging any engine with high torque (especially low end) will have consequences if it's not tuned properly. That still doesn't prevent you from making more power. And it's not why Honda detuned the engine.

If you want to know why Honda detuned the engine, think about it like this -- the 1.5T is going into EVERYTHING. The Civic (including the Si), the CRV, and into the new Accord's in '18 (IIRC). They build one engine, and advertise different power levels depending on the platform it's in.

But what do they really change? Basically nothing -- the tune. The CRV has a minor compression drop (10.3 instead of 10.6) so maybe they have to keep 2-3 models of pistons around. Everything else is the same... great strategy IMO lol.

What are you doing to prevent the carbon build up that is haunting all the car manufactures? Performance gain is no gain if it wont make back from the track.
    You have to clean the intake ports/valves every so often on pure DI platforms. It's not a problem that just pops up overnight.
    Last edited by VitViper; 12-23-2016 at 07:09 PM.

Platinum Member
    The jury is still out on how reliable the new engine will be, especially tuned past what the engineers at Honda decided was appropriate. I'm personally happy with my bone stock 9th get Si, as I don't plan on using it to race people anyway. Still a fun car to drive and the last of the really great NA motors.

The grass is always greener.

Quote Originally Posted by VitViper View Post
    That's the stupidity of "experts" on the internet talking. When tooners can't figure out what they did wrong, they throw out big words or acronyms to justify their failure. I have the new WRX's making 400wtq+, had the MS3 making 360-380wtq. Oddly they seem to be alive.
    The WRX's are having problems too. I have been on record already that a turbo L1.5 would produce 260 HP with the boost Honda says is on the DI motor.

LSPI isn't a new concept that just recently popped up. It affects even port motors -- lugging any engine with high torque (especially low end) will have consequences if it's not tuned properly. That still doesn't prevent you from making more power. And it's not why Honda detuned the engine.
    There are many reasons engines blow and not just at low end. You cant properly tune this motor without extensive tests and over all conditions it will operate in with the sensors that are on there. I do know that tuners are working on a standalone ecu that they can sell and tune that work in better than the factory ecu. That is why I was asking what your were doing.

If you want to know why Honda detuned the engine, think about it like this -- the 1.5T is going into EVERYTHING. The Civic (including the Si), the CRV, and into the new Accord's in '18 (IIRC). They build one engine, and advertise different power levels depending on the platform it's in.
    They also want it to last to at least 100K with lower costs.

But what do they really change? Basically nothing -- the tune. The CRV has a minor compression drop (10.3 instead of 10.6) so maybe they have to keep 2-3 models of pistons around. Everything else is the same... great strategy IMO lol.
    Lowering compression due to the quality of the gasoline. The car manufactures are waiting for the refiners to raise the octane at the pumps.

You have to clean the intake ports/valves every so often on pure DI platforms. It's not a problem that just pops up overnight.
    It happens over time but the more power you make it will happen at any time and that is why they detuned the motor. I was hoping you had a better plan to the DI problems and that service is not cheap. Here is a paper so you can work on them. http://www.ukintpress-conferences.co..._Alewjinse.pdf
    Roadcourse likes this.
    Civic POP Crew #3

Quote Originally Posted by teamrubixcube View Post
    The jury is still out on how reliable the new engine will be, especially tuned past what the engineers at Honda decided was appropriate. I'm personally happy with my bone stock 9th get Si, as I don't plan on using it to race people anyway. Still a fun car to drive and the last of the really great NA motors.

The grass is always greener.
    I turned down the Civic with the turbo. I did not want to find out how long it would last since I was buying the car and not leasing. It helped that the wife did not like the new Civic anyways. I will just enjoy my RSX for a while to keep the miles off the Civic.
    Roadcourse likes this.
    Civic POP Crew #3

It happens over time but the more power you make it will happen at any time and that is why they detuned the motor. I was hoping you had a better plan to the DI problems and that service is not cheap. Here is a paper so you can work on them. http://www.ukintpress-conferences.co..._Alewjinse.pdf

I am no expert, but, the paper you posted talks alot about the fuel mixture and thing that "can" happen over time.
    doesn't Vit's UT deal with this?

i mean it says "
    • Cam angle mapping (VTC) for both LOW cam and HIGH cam (VTEC and non-VTEC).
    • VTEC point mapping.
    • Fuel mapping for all applicable cam angle break points.
    • Ignition mapping for all applicable cam angle break points.
    • Knock analysis."

So would Vit's UT negate 95% of your argument?

Like i said, i am no expert, i just have questions.
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #88
    --------------------------------
    2013 RR Si FB6
    -----------------
    Skunk2 - Cai
    Flashpro - Vittuned
    Hasport - RMM 62a
    RV-6 - Catted Downpipe
    Invidia - Q300
    Yellowspeed - Coilovers @ 33%
    GodSpeed - Rear Camber Arms & Rear Sway Bar

Acuity - Shifter, Cable Bushings, Transmission Spring Upgrade

Used NA Civics may become more sought after. Who wants to buy an "experiment"?
    LJiGa, Civi9, Silver2Coupe and 2 others like this.
    Only the knife knows what goes on in the heart of the pumpkin......unknown

Guns don't kill people, drivers on cell phones kill people.

Drain the swamp. Force term limits.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to make people believe he doesn't exist".......a movie.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.