An Older Guy forces Old Guy In Si to brake and swerve to avoid accident
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: An Older Guy forces Old Guy In Si to brake and swerve to avoid accident

An Older Guy forces Old Guy In Si to brake and swerve to avoid accident

An older guy (80 something years old) in a Cadillac forced this Old Guy in his Si to brake and swerve to avoid him coming into my lane.

He didn't see me and came from the right lane over to my left. He was slightly in front of me and just changed over into my lane. I quickly braked and swerved slightly left to avoid him. Otherwise I'd now have passenger side damage.

I didn't even have time to honk at him.

Defensive driving rules.

This is like the second time in the past year such a blind spot lane change accident has been avoided.

I always look around me and monitor all traffic. I most worry about a rear end at a traffic light. Most other accidents I have been able to avoid via defensive driving.

Be safe guys and drive defensively.

Any close calls from you guys?
    2013 SI Sedan Sunburst Orange Pearl
    Racecar spelled backwards is racecaR
    Mechanically all stock

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

You have to stay out of other peoples blind spots if you can. I learned this when I was driving trucks. People would just hang out in my blind spots instead of passing. I would let my rear tandem drift over to their door if they stayed there to long.
    Teeps and J-Trix like this.
    Performance Mods

S2 Alpha series header, Q300 catback, Ported RBC Intake manifold, ZDX Throttle body, PRL Short ram, RBC intake manifold adapter kit, Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors, , Booomba motor mounts, Hondata Flashpro, Competition Stage 4 rigid clutch.

Suspension

Skunk2 lowering springs, FKX front lower tie bar.

9th Gen Pop Crew #48

Glad you avoided it! Theres an abundance of bad drivers where I live, all ages! I don't even bother honking anymore because they're so self involved that they don't even realize why you just honked at them! My biggest pet peeve is people who turn into the far lane. Exactly why I don't honk anymore, I make a left and other driver makes right and comes straight over to my lane and cuts me off nearly side swiping me, I honk, and they flip me off! Now I just carry a bag of bricks with me!

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Big Timer!!!
    Quite frequently. The last one involved me finishing crossing an intersection. The opposite lane was still at a stand still from the light change but there was about a car width space between two cars. Another car at a stop sign across the street, decided to try to fit in that spot at the very last second which involves crossing my lane into theirs. She saw my car, thought about going for a second, and then actually went. She couldn't fit in the opposite lane so her car just stopped and blocked my lane. I had to slam on the brakes and there was about a foot of distance from my car and hers. If I braked a half second later I would have t-boned her into her driver side door. I gave her the long horn of shame to teach her to err on the side of caution for her sake and others next time.

I keep the motorcycle rider mentality that everyone is out to kill you and keep my situational awareness at full alert. I kinda make a game of it at times and usually I can predict which cars are piloted by sketchy drivers. I would have had quite a few accidents if I didn't.

And a tip regarding blind spots... If you can't see them in the side view mirror or their rear view mirror they can't see you. Glad you are ok!

It is very disappointing how most drivers pay no attention. It's like driving is so mundane people don't give it the mental energy it truly requires.

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DomesticNoMore View Post
    Glad you avoided it! Theres an abundance of bad drivers where I live, all ages! I don't even bother honking anymore because they're so self involved that they don't even realize why you just honked at them! My biggest pet peeve is people who turn into the far lane. Exactly why I don't honk anymore, I make a left and other driver makes right and comes straight over to my lane and cuts me off nearly side swiping me, I honk, and they flip me off! Now I just carry a bag of bricks with me!
    Pennies work just as well and take up less room.*

I learned to drive defensively in my earliest days as a motorcycle rider. If you don't, any mishap can be devastating.

*Bricks are tough to carry on a bike.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

I did had one close call about 8 years ago, when I was driving northbound on Interstate 5 on a large hill in OR, a guy in a 4Runner abruptly changed lanes without looking and I ended up moving onto the shoulder while I was on the right lane, just to avoid being hit. I was driving a fully-equipped, top of the line Toyota Tacoma at that time. Had I been not paying attention, both of us would have our Toyotas falling down the hill, down into the embankment. Scary, that idiot probably didn't see me and I didn't have time to honk at him.

Staying out of someones blind spot is a great idea but the other driver needs to be paying attention to make a difference.
    2013 Civic Si sedan PMM

K24Z7 Crew Member #717
    9th Civic POP Crew #717

Kev's Build Thread
    Hidden Content

I agree. I try to stay out of people's blind spot but at the same time people show check it. I had an incident of someone riding in the fast lane. As I was passing him on the right, he was on the phone and got over in my lane. I was pass his rear door when he decided to get over. I slammed on my brakes and hit the horn. He did not let go of the phone he was on. Here in Missouri, there is no laws about being handfree while driving.
    "A scientist can discover a new star, but he cannot make one. He would have to ask an engineer to do that."Gordon L. Glegg,

CORRECTION: I agree. I try to stay out of people's blind spot but at the same time people should* check their blind spot. (auto-spell correction)
    "A scientist can discover a new star, but he cannot make one. He would have to ask an engineer to do that."Gordon L. Glegg,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)