anyone dyno'ed a stock high mileage Si?
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Old Guy In SI
  • 2 Post By fisch

Thread: anyone dyno'ed a stock high mileage Si?

anyone dyno'ed a stock high mileage Si?

I'm just posting this out of curiosity....
    My 8 year old son is now interested in cars, and we were chatting this morning about my 2012 Si. I told him I'm such a fan of this car, I could see myself keeping this one for a long time (I've previously leased for 3 years at a time). He said maybe I could keep it until he drives in 8-9 years and it could be his first car. I said maybe... LOL. At my current rate of driving, the car would have about 120-140k miles on it if/when I passed it down to him. Has anyone dyno'ed a stock Si (or other Civic) with higher mileage? Any power loss? This is just a general question, not specific to any one generation or engine.
    POP CREW MEMBER #615

Retired:

2012 Civic Si sedan / Dyno Blue
    2014 Civic Si sedan / MSM
    2012 Civic Si sedan / Sunburst Orange
    2007 Civic Si sedan / Silver

Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

I don't know about a dyno but 140,000 is nothing for a Civic; it's just broken in at that mileage
    neteng101, Teeps and teamrubixcube like this.
    2013 SI Sedan Sunburst Orange Pearl
    Racecar spelled backwards is racecaR
    Mechanically all stock

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy In SI View Post
    I don't know about a dyno but 140,000 is nothing for a Civic; it's just broken in at that mileage
    very true... so when I give it to my son, I can say "here's your new car" LOL
    POP CREW MEMBER #615

Retired:

2012 Civic Si sedan / Dyno Blue
    2014 Civic Si sedan / MSM
    2012 Civic Si sedan / Sunburst Orange
    2007 Civic Si sedan / Silver

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

I think at that point it'll be near perfect-age car for a brand new driver.
    Provided you take proper care of it; it'll be as safe, reliable, and enjoyable in ten years as it is today.
    I think I'm keeping my si forever.
    It just may be "the one"
    Hidden Content 2013 SOP 4dr SI. Vittuned and smiling. POP crew #414.

One Bad Mama Jama!!! bigbadspoon's Avatar
    I dyno'd my old '99 Civic EX when it had like 190k miles (my school just got a new dyno and needed a guinea pig). Put down 93hp at the wheels. Based on what I see around the forums, that's not terribly far off from what lower-mileage cars do. Usually between 95 and 105. I think it was rated at 132 to the crank when it was new.

Platinum Member
    140k, if cared for, you ought to have a good 95% of original compression (or more). Car should be serviceable to 250k with basic maintenance.
    Current:
    2014 Honda Civic Si sedan
    2014 Toyota Prius Five lift-back
    Prior "enthusiast" cars:
    2013 Civic Si sedan, 2001 Ford Mustang GT, 1995 Chevy Camaro Z28, 2000 Chevy Camaro Z28
    1988 VW GTI 16v, 1979 Olds Cutlass coupe, 1985 Chevy Chevette (hehe!)

Quote Originally Posted by mreggball View Post
    I'm just posting this out of curiosity....
    My 8 year old son is now interested in cars, and we were chatting this morning about my 2012 Si. I told him I'm such a fan of this car, I could see myself keeping this one for a long time (I've previously leased for 3 years at a time). He said maybe I could keep it until he drives in 8-9 years and it could be his first car. I said maybe... LOL. At my current rate of driving, the car would have about 120-140k miles on it if/when I passed it down to him. Has anyone dyno'ed a stock Si (or other Civic) with higher mileage? Any power loss? This is just a general question, not specific to any one generation or engine.
    What I've read not from experience but I 'd say at that mileage a 5% loss in HP can be expected.
    2013 Civic Si sedan PMM

K24Z7 Crew Member #717
    9th Civic POP Crew #717

Kev's Build Thread
    Hidden Content

I have driven a few Si's from new through 200,000+ and I have handed one off to my 16 yr old new driver son before. There is not really much of a noticeable hp loss at all through 200k if maintained properly. The one I gave to my son to learn how to drive had over 225,000 at the time and he loved it. No dyno was ever done on that 2000 Si, sorry can't help you with real numbers to back up my story.
    2012 Civic Si Coupe CBP

Freedom and Liberty For ALL! (some restrictions apply, must be over 18, not available in some states)

K24Z7 Crew Member #30
    High Milers Club Founding Member

More than anything, you'll be happy knowing there's one more person in the world who knows how to drive a manual transmission- and a damn good 6 speed at that.
    9GenSi and Squidward like this.
    Hidden Content 2013 SOP 4dr SI. Vittuned and smiling. POP crew #414.

Thanks for the replies guys. He helped me wash it today and check the oil and tire pressure. He's enjoying it so far.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)