R18 High Mileage Club - Page 14
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: R18 High Mileage Club

Don't get your hopes up guys, 2012 Honda Civic EX Sedan, 150k miles, currently working on second transmission job, so much for hondas lasting forever
    2012 Civic Sedan EX in Dyno Blue Pearl V1
    Have:
    LED Dome, License, DTRL, and Trunk lights; Morimoto Mini H1 with 6000k bulbs; Dual Accord Horn upgrade;
    Soon:
    Full Stereo Overhaul, Seat Covers, light overlays, led dtrls, hid backup lights, black grill.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ibebarrett View Post
    Don't get your hopes up guys, 2012 Honda Civic EX Sedan, 150k miles, currently working on second transmission job, so much for hondas lasting forever
    You must have gotten a lemon.
    Roadcourse and jasper60103 like this.
    Whenever I'm suffering from Insomnia, I just look at a picture of a Toyota Camry and I'm straight off.
    INSTAGRAM: that_stock_fb6

Quote Originally Posted by ibebarrett View Post
    That sucks man. Find a better transmission shop for your next rebuild.
    Roadcourse likes this.
    R18 Crew Member #53
    2018 Pilot EX AWD SSM (wife's)
    2013 CRV EX PMM (mine)
    2014 FB2 LX ASM (sold)
    2001 Acura Integra GSR (sold)
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Roadcourse View Post
    Saw on TV last night a 2007 Tundra with a million miles on it. It was used to tow and carry pretty heavy oilfield parts on a "hotshot" basis. The interior looked new, had two timing chains, an alternator, and another accessory part put on it. Original engine though. Oh, and a transmission repair. I'd say that truck made him some money. It was a 4.7 liter V8. Toyota bought it back from him to tear it down to find possible body failure points..spot welds, etc. The truck looked near new from the outside but the bed was beaten up. Love stories like that. My '12 is not going to be sold unless Honda wants it....and not free, LOL....
    Ha! Don't hold your breath waiting for Honda to buy it back for research.

Far as second trans failure guy's story goes.
    He's an outlier in our anecdotal statistics.
    AND, we are only getting half of the story, with regard to:
    • original and current symptom
    • transmission parts that failed
    • how did he parts fail
    • service history
    • what parts were replaced
    • who did the repair
    • cost of the first repair
    • failure mode of "rebuilt" transmission
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

Quote Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
    Ha! Don't hold your breath waiting for Honda to buy it back for research.

Far as second trans failure guy's story goes.
    He's an outlier in our anecdotal statistics.
    AND, we are only getting half of the story, with regard to:
    • original and current symptom
    • transmission parts that failed
    • how did he parts fail
    • service history
    • what parts were replaced
    • who did the repair
    • cost of the first repair
    • failure mode of "rebuilt" transmission
    Nobody can count on any car making a million miles. If one does, the owner is in a good position to influence the manufacturer's reputation any way they want with publicity should they choose. It's called either marketing, for some reason (money), which Honda HAS offered to million mile Honda owners (check it out) or "reverse marketing". The owner decides which, not the manufacturer.

Concerning the transmission issues, I never heard of anything called a "transmission job". Two "transmission jobs", in or out of warranty, does not meet the definition of a lemon in Alabama.
    Teeps likes this.
    Question authority.

Only the knife knows what goes on in the heart of the pumpkin......unknown

Nobody can count on any car making a million miles. If one does, the owner is in a good position to influence the manufacturer's reputation any way they want with publicity should they choose. It's called either marketing, for some reason (money), which Honda HAS offered to million mile Honda owners (check it out) or "reverse marketing". The owner decides which, not the manufacturer.

Concerning the transmission issues, I never heard of anything called a "transmission job". Two "transmission jobs", in or out of warranty, does not meet the definition of a lemon in Alabama.
    Yes I am aware that AHM has bought high mileage cars from owners in the past.
    There have been several in the past.
    Most folks lease cars, thus really don't care about accumulating a million miles or keeping a car for 10, 20 or more years. (we would be the exception.)
    I don't think buying high mileage cars back from owners fits their business model anymore. I could be wrong... but the place has really changed from when I started working there, even more so since I retired.
    Roadcourse likes this.
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

Quote Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
    Yes I am aware that AHM has bought high mileage cars from owners in the past.
    There have been several in the past.
    Most folks lease cars, thus really don't care about accumulating a million miles or keeping a car for 10, 20 or more years. (we would be the exception.)
    I don't think buying high mileage cars back from owners fits their business model anymore. I could be wrong... but the place has really changed from when I started working there, even more so since I retired.
    I believe what you've observed in AHM. I've known my local Honda dealer's shop manager for along time, he's a really nice young man, and I see him becoming very stressed out and seems to not like his job any longer. Makes me wary of their shop now. Something is going on there. Stress is contagious. If turbos and CVT's continue being sold, I think the day of very high mileage cars and trucks are over.
    Question authority.

Only the knife knows what goes on in the heart of the pumpkin......unknown

I believe what you've observed in AHM. I've known my local Honda dealer's shop manager for along time, he's a really nice young man, and I see him becoming very stressed out and seems to not like his job any longer. Makes me wary of their shop now. Something is going on there. Stress is contagious. If turbos and CVT's continue being sold, I think the day of very high mileage cars and trucks are over.
    Can't believe i'm saying this but you might be right. For the time being anyways that stuff just doesn't seem to be reliable.
    Whenever I'm suffering from Insomnia, I just look at a picture of a Toyota Camry and I'm straight off.
    INSTAGRAM: that_stock_fb6

Greenhorn
    2012 coupe 240k

Could have been 300k already, due to some experimentation, bought a 2010 prius for gas mileage, used the prius for 60k. Prius did not make me happy as it uses oil, savings on gas negated to buy adding oil. Good thing craigslist posting of my civic was I guess too high, trying to sell at least $4k, kbb value, but 217k miles kept people from being interested. One tried to haggle to $2500, i declined offer. Prius been sold a year now, and been so happy to return to driving my civic.

Still kicking well. Does not burn or use oil. Started doing my oil change 160,000 miles, and have not seen the dealer since, 3 years.

Modifications:
    1. DRL swapped wired to battery LED Fog lights used as DRL.
    2. Steel mesh from home depot screwed on bumper in front of A/C condenser to preserve condenser fins from stones.
    3. 17 inch wheel
    4. LED headlights
    5. LED cabin lights

All original except 2 front wheel bearing, and 1 rear caliper replaced. 1 bearing was still good, but I don’t know which one was shot. Thinking i am already commited to my DIY project, and rented tools already, i decided to change both wheel bearing and rusted rotors. Of course some bulbs and spark plugs are replaced. Replaced leaking rear shocks, scheduled to work on front struts this summer. But struts seems still good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R18 High Mileage Club-4b776a15-cbc9-4e95-892c-d7db5190fdeb_1556068273588.jpg  

Nooblets
    CVTs are just as capable of high mileage as any other type of transmission, if not moreso. Not one CVT failure reported in this thread. The only transmission failures I've read about have been the pre 2014 geared units.

There have been more than several Tundras reach a million miles, as well as an LS400. But, Honda takes up the most spots on the list of vehicles that have reached a million miles with 3 4th gen Accords, 2 5th gens and an 06 Civic with over 1.6 million.

Just under 81,000 on my 15. Took a trip to North Carolina last weekend.
    Last edited by ItsaHonda; 04-30-2019 at 06:32 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)