What do you hate about your Civic?
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: What do you hate about your Civic?

Greenhorn

What do you hate about your Civic?

Hello everyone, I recently made a video demonstrating the minor drawbacks (in my oppinion) of the 9th gen civic. Check it out if yoh would like and let me know if there is anything i missed or if you disagree. Here's a link.

https://youtu.be/BajTiePkYtM

Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Big Timer!!!
    I hate that it's not an AWD SUV in the winter time. But for $10k I wasn't going to find a used CR-V with 50k km on it.

At least I have a limited slip diff! Actually, I'm not even sure it makes a difference in winter.
    Si HFP Club Member # 97

2012 FG4 K24Z7 HFP Crystal Black Pearl
    215/45R17 Kuhmo Solus HA31
    17x8 AVID.1 AV-20 Bronze +35 off-set

I can't say that I hate anything about my Civic. It always does everything I ask it to with no problems and low cost of ownership. It's been a great car for the last 4 years and almost 66k miles.
    Silver2Coupe and scottyrocks like this.
    R18 Crew Member #53
    2014 FB2 LX ASM (mine)
    2013 CRV EX PMM (wife's)
    2001 Acura Integra GSR (Sold)
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

No real complaints with my civic either. Ive had it for almost 4 years and 57k miles and it's done everything I ask of it and doesn't require me to stop by a gas station or take it in for an oil change as often as my old civic did.
    Silver2Coupe and scottyrocks like this.
    '15 4dr EX cvt MSM
    '15 4dr Accord LX CVT Black

Past cars: '01 4dr EX A/T Silver-sold
    '07 4dr Toyota Camry XLE V6 Silver-totaled

Nooblets
    no regular aux cable audio input, I kinda hate BT with a passion.

too much body roll (can be fixed with aftermarket)
    which brings me to the suspension... for some reason honda decided to make a slightly different suspension setup for each trim level, even a difference between the sedan and coupe... as a result, the car with historically pretty much the biggest aftermarket support in the world (ok most of it is crap but still...) has like what, 4 coilover options? thats pathetic...

29lb wheels (can be fixed with aftermarket)

no coolant temp gauge, just some stupid light thats on when the engine is cold (even though all modern oem temp guages are just 3 position gauges) (can technically be fixed with aftermarket but I don't wanna add any aftermarket gauges)

I'm not an audiophile, so any audio system that isn't complete crap is fine by me... but the sub rattling... not even in bass heavy songs/sounds... thats just crap

seat material sucks (at least in my '14 with the red fabric). one of the reasons I prefer fabric over leather is it doesn't get as hot in the summer and it breaths. This fabric doesn't really breath.. on warm days, it really retains body heat... and can get really warm... the first time I noticed this I started looked for the seat warmer button to turn it off, but turns out no seat warmers, just crappy fabric.

all the clutch dampening crap they put in the MC and SC... both of which are removed on my car and now I can shift...

I wouldn't mind a bigger gas tank, but this is a really minor gripe

one thing I really like is the oil filter and drain plug placement... I mean for once somebody was like; oh hey, cars always need oil changes... lets make it all easily accessible and put the drain hole where all the oil actually gets drained, as in facing the back and actually at the bottom of the pan, so when you jack up the front of the car, the oil drains towards the hole. the fact that this kind of common sense was actually implemented blows me away. I know common sense is common sense, but think about it, how rare do you actually see common sense actually designed into products?

and the engine... what a gem of an engine... easily the best production 4 cylinder engine... I mean maybe not specifically in this form with the integrated header and all (although its great for turbos), but in general the K series really makes all other 4 bangers kinda crap... if my Miata had a K24...
    Last edited by warmmilk; 01-05-2019 at 01:45 AM.
    Civi9 and DOHC-TUR like this.
    2014 Civic Si <-- Daily
    2007 Miata <-- Track Car
    Pacific Raceways 1:41.07|The Ridge 2:01.48

Greenhorn
    Quote Originally Posted by warmmilk View Post
    no regular aux cable audio input, I kinda hate BT with a passion...
    No regular aux cable input? Granted, I haven't seen the interiors of all of the variations of this car, but with the ones I have seen, there is a regular aux input jack under a flip-up cover in the bottom storage area of the center console, next to the 12 volt power point. My car is "just" an LX -- I'm surprised that higher-end versions of the car don't have this feature.

Anyway, the only things I'm not crazy about are...

1. The occasional low-speed shifting issues I've written about elsewhere

2. The odor of the CVT-fluid when the engine is warm -- mostly fixed by changing the fluid, but still there a little bit

3. The fact that, as far as I can tell, there is no way to keep the parking lights on after turning the car off unless you keep the door open (I would want to do this when parking the car in a vulnerable place temporarily while loading or unloading packages -- when needing to make multiple trips to load/unload packages, leaving the door open leaves the packages in the car vulnerable to theft).

4. Some minor feature issues -- intermittent wipers are not variable speed, there is no pause function on the CD player, and no coolant temperature gauge.

But, as others have said, these are all quite minor. This car looks great (one of the few small, affordable 2-door coupes available now), gets good gas mileage, and is great fun to drive. And the dash is awesome -- almost like the Knight Rider car, right out of the box! Also, as I have been running wires and working on installing my modifications, I am finding that the car is reasonably easy to work on.

EDIT: I just watched the video. The thing about the door panels moving when the windows roll up -- I've always wondered about that, and what mechanism causes that phenomenon, as well. I used to be a car stereo installer, and I would see that on various cars. But what were you saying about the tachometer? I played it three times, and I'm still confused about it. You mentioned something that is about an inch in diameter, but then seemed to relate it to the motion of the arrow (And by arrow, do you mean the gauge needle?) -- I'm just trying to determine what the concern is.
    Last edited by NightFlyer; 01-05-2019 at 03:30 AM.

I don't hate or dislike it at all. I wish the sheet metal were a little less prone to hail damage. Other than that, nothing else touches it in its class.
    Silver2Coupe likes this.
    Question authority.

Only the knife knows what goes on in the heart of the pumpkin......unknown

Quote Originally Posted by bdubbin View Post
    I hate that it's not an AWD SUV in the winter time. But for $10k I wasn't going to find a used CR-V with 50k km on it.

At least I have a limited slip diff! Actually, I'm not even sure it makes a difference in winter.
    Honda makes a HRV AWD. It has a R18 and according to my dealer its was the only vehicle to be moved on it own power after a snow storm.
    Civic POP Crew #3

Nooblets
    Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    No regular aux cable input? Granted, I haven't seen the interiors of all of the variations of this car, but with the ones I have seen, there is a regular aux input jack under a flip-up cover in the bottom storage area of the center console, next to the 12 volt power point. My car is "just" an LX -- I'm surprised that higher-end versions of the car don't have this feature.
    Si doesn't have it. it has a USB and HDMI input in that location. I've tried USB to 3.5mm jack cables and it doesn't work with audio. HDMI works, but my tablets that support an HDMI out signal are relatively rare and expensive.
    2014 Civic Si <-- Daily
    2007 Miata <-- Track Car
    Pacific Raceways 1:41.07|The Ridge 2:01.48

Nooblets
    I hate how high the seats are. I’m not a tall guy 5’7”, and I feel the seats don’t go low enough. Worse if you’re in the passenger. My gf loves it since it makes her taller lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)