Summer Heat and all the Dash Screens
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By 9thgensifamily
  • 2 Post By scottyrocks
  • 2 Post By scottyrocks
  • 1 Post By MaybeCivic
  • 1 Post By scottyrocks
  • 2 Post By fear24

Thread: Summer Heat and all the Dash Screens

One Bad Mama Jama!!!

Summer Heat and all the Dash Screens

So with summer fast approaching, I have a question about all the screens in cars like the Civic. I can't imagine it's good for them to overheat. The Civic we all have include the large one as well as those for gas tank, speedometer, and average mpg.

How hot is TOO hot for those screens? What do you suppose the automobile engineers did to keep from all the dash screens from overheating?

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

They are designed to take the heat. I read a artical recently that telsa used more of a tablet style screen (not automotive grade) and they had alot of failures due to what your talking about. You don't need to worry. However, I'm a fan of window tint, and a sun shade in the windsheild does have it's purpose.
    bfaided1984 likes this.

One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    I have tint on the side and back and just recently picked up a window shade specifically for the 9th gen Civic. The thing is pretty huge, but it fits the entire windshield.

Thanks! I was just a bit worried since the dash has so many different screens on it. I would think they had to have engineered a heat tolerance.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    I've got to believe that a company has large and experienced as Honda didn't not take hot weather into account when designing every electrical component in the car.

What I do in hot weather, and not because of the car, but for me, is leave the windows cracked open an inch so the interior can breathe. It also helps that I have window visor/vents so that it's not apparent my windows are open, and rain is kept out, as well.

I definitely feel a difference in interior temperature when I open the door when the windows are shut vs. opened an inch.
    Last edited by scottyrocks; 07-17-2019 at 05:34 PM.
    MaybeCivic and Ridingaround like this.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    scottyrocks, It thought about getting those, but I don't think they look as good on the four door. I may resort to it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeCivic View Post
    scottyrocks, It thought about getting those, but I don't think they look as good on the four door. I may resort to it, though.
    I think they look better on the four-door - more balanced-looking than on the two-door. I had a set on my 8th gen sedan and was happier with the look than I am with them on my coupe. But different strokes, ya know?!
    MaybeCivic and ampm1678 like this.
    'Three pedals or bust!'

People in Arizona and other places where it gets extremely hot apparently don't have problems with it. Worrying about Honda's possible lack of accounting for heat doesn't seem to make sense.
    Learn til you die.

One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    So, a bit of an update. About a month ago, on a Sunday, I left my windows up, no screens on the windshield, and it was a really hot day. When I stepped into my car, it was EXTREMELY HOT. Took a long time to cool it down.

A few weeks ago, I got the side window visor/vents [Weathertech] and can totally tell the difference with those on, and all four windows about an inch down. Inside the car [along with the windshield screen] is barely much hotter than the outside air. I'm pretty much sold on them now! Thanks for the advice, scottyrocks!
    scottyrocks likes this.

Glad to be of help.
    MaybeCivic likes this.
    'Three pedals or bust!'

that's what the forum is for! glad he helped you.
    scottyrocks and MaybeCivic like this.
    hiding from those who might be looking for me

POP Crew #61

2014 Black EX
    20% Global Tint
    Curt 1 1/4" receiver
    Weathertech In-channel visors

Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)