How to check car temperature?
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TenZen
  • 2 Post By scottyrocks

Thread: How to check car temperature?

Greenhorn

How to check car temperature?

I just recently bought this car. Is there anyway I can check the car temperature on my 2014 honda civic LX? because there isn't like temperature gauge on the dashboard like in most cars where there is needle pointing to cold or hot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    The simplest way is to install a dipstick with a temp gauge in the top of it. True, you wouldn't be able to see it while driving, but you could certainly get an idea once you have stopped.

If your car is stock you certainly have nothing to be worried about if you are driving it in normal conditions, even heavy traffic in hot weather. But if I was concerned, I would have no problem taking a look when I parked the car.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by joshua2395 View Post
    I just recently bought this car. Is there anyway I can check the car temperature on my 2014 honda civic LX? because there isn't like temperature gauge on the dashboard like in most cars where there is needle pointing to cold or hot.
    If it's really important to know this info. An aftermarket OBDII dongle with a phone app can do that, according to info on this site.
    https://scanneranswers.com/obd2-ipho...-code-readers/

Some are under $20 and one is a hundred bucks...

Note: I have no experience with any of these devices, so you may get what you pay for...
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bought that one for $10 bucks, a cheap blue tooth phone from a pawn shop and use Torque or Torque Pro. You can set up your own digital gauges with the app to show you mostly anything.
    Ron_2015_Civic likes this.
    2015 Rallye Red Si Coupe
    Acuity Curl CAI, Hasport Torque Mount & Rear Motor Mount, Acuity Shift Linkage & Shifter Base Bushings, Acuity ESCO Shift Knob, BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S, FKX RSB/LTB, SiriMoto FSB/RLTB, Full Race Cat-Back, RV6 Catted DP

Quote Originally Posted by TenZen View Post
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bought that one for $10 bucks, a cheap blue tooth phone from a pawn shop and use Torque or Torque Pro. You can set up your own digital gauges with the app to show you mostly anything.
    I'm glad your item worked, but in general, read the reviews before you purchase anything from Amazon these days. Most everything is junk. This item received 103 critical reviews.
    'Three pedals or bust!'

I wouldn't even consider a $10 item plugged into my car. If you really want this spend a few more dollars for a quality scanner.

Nooblets
    Yeah, I know I'm a bit paranoid, but I am wary of plugging any low-cost, Chinese-made device into the port that goes straight to the car's main computer.

My semi-solution to a temperature gauge is part of a multi-feature dash pod that I made for my car. I carefully taped a thermistor (temperature-controlled variable resistor) to the outside of my upper radiator hose, and that goes to a digital thermometer on my custom dash pod. Actually, it's a voltmeter that is customized and calibrated to act as a thermometer, but you get the idea. I put a small piece of metallic tape between the thermistor and hose to try to keep it from making an imprint in the hose, but that is something I'll have to keep an eye on.

Of course, since the sensor is not actually in the coolant, it is not going to give the true coolant temperature, but I figure that as I recognize what kinds of readings are normal for various driving conditions, I can recognize if the readings are higher than expected, which could indicate a problem with the cooling system. And I didn't have to tap into any engine computer wires.
    Last edited by NightFlyer; 08-26-2019 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyrocks View Post
    I'm glad your item worked, but in general, read the reviews before you purchase anything from Amazon these days. Most everything is junk. This item received 103 critical reviews.
    I've been using my elm 327 bluetooth ecu dongle with torque pro for 7 years on my 2012 Si. It is extremely accurate, so don't be put off by the price. $10 for the dongle and $2.99 for the android app. It works perfectly and gives amazing results, including coolant temp.

In fact, I've used this combo to pull error codes from others' cars and to clear them once problems are fixed, too.

The elm device only works with android though. Apple users will have to resort to similar, more expensive solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by colint View Post
    I've been using my elm 327 bluetooth ecu dongle with torque pro for 7 years on my 2012 Si. It is extremely accurate, so don't be put off by the price. $10 for the dongle and $2.99 for the android app. It works perfectly and gives amazing results, including coolant temp.

In fact, I've used this combo to pull error codes from others' cars and to clear them once problems are fixed, too.

The elm device only works with android though. Apple users will have to resort to similar, more expensive solutions.
    I wasn't singling out any one item. Just cautioning folks to read the reviews before purchasing. Generally, if there are a lot of common complaints about a particular item, I pass, even if there are many more good reviews. Everyone should use their judgment.
    colint and brew3242 like this.
    'Three pedals or bust!'

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)