Towing a SXS ?
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By scottyrocks
  • 1 Post By patruns
  • 1 Post By 9thgensifamily

Thread: Towing a SXS ?

Towing a SXS ?

Hi guys, long time no see. ive got a question. Ive bought couple weeks ago a new 2018 Arctic Cat Wildcat Sport Limited SXS and i'm wondering if i should be considered nuts for the fact that im seriously considering towing that thing with my car. (2013 civic si coupe with hfp shocks) This SXS is like 980lbs + whatever the lightest 6x10 trailer i can find.

What you guys think?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Rainz; 08-25-2019 at 03:11 AM.
    2013 Civic SI Coupe SOP - HFP Bodykit - HFP shocks - HFP 18x7.5 wheels - Skunk2 Megapower RR - K&N Typhoon
    2015 Civic EX Sedan TW - '11 Si axleback

K24Z7 Crew member #2427

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    This is by no means the last word, but I had a hitch on my '95 Saturn so I could tow a motorcycle on a trailer, and never had an issue. Just take extra care when slipping the clutch into first gear.
    Rainz likes this.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

I believe the maximum tow weight is about 1,000 lbs. I would not do this, especially with a manual tranny.
    Rainz likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

the vendor at the dealer told me back in the day that 1000lbs was really conservative to make sure customers dont abuse and try to tow 3-4-5k. im wondering how well or bad it could go.
    I dont want to trade my SI for a truck
    The irony my SXS is rated to tow 1500lbs. higher than my car.
    2013 Civic SI Coupe SOP - HFP Bodykit - HFP shocks - HFP 18x7.5 wheels - Skunk2 Megapower RR - K&N Typhoon

K24Z7 Crew member #2427

One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    At one point I was contemplating towing a small trailer for my dirt bike but decided against it.

I know a SXS doesn't sound like a lot of weight but I don't think I would be comfortable towing that much.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpingblack13si View Post
    At one point I was contemplating towing a small trailer for my dirt bike but decided against it.

I know a SXS doesn't sound like a lot of weight but I don't think I would be comfortable towing that much.
    I wouldn't be scared to use my car to tow a dirt bike with a small trailer. the prob is how big is needed for my trailer. 6'x10' since its a 60in (5ft) large SXS and 9.2ft long.
    So kind of the lightest you can go is around 500lbs unless you use a snowmobile trailer with no sides but its not safe for something with wheels.

With the weight of my SXS + the lightest trailer I found is near 1530lbs. which is 680lbs over the limit .. is that too much ? that's the ultimate question.

Edit #1: oh and im pretty sure the car can tow that pretty easily.. but is it too much for the clutch and tranny ? that's what im scared of.

Edit #2: I would like if I could simply tow my SXS by simply using a tow bar kit they sell attached to the SXS. (so the SXS transform into is own trailer) but I dont think my transmission or differential on the SXS is going to like that at all. (and this way I could be not over the weight limit.)
    Last edited by Rainz; 08-27-2019 at 12:48 AM.

K24Z7 Crew member #2427

A Honda Civic can carry 850 lbs. of cargo and passengers. So, for example, if you have four 150-lb. passengers, you can still comfortably carry 250 lbs. of cargo (4 times 150 equals 600, plus 250 equals 850). On a Civic Sedan, a portion of that cargo weight can be used to tow a trailer.

Tongue Weight

The weight that a trailer actually applies to the trailer hitch is called the "tongue weight." The "tongue" is the bar that extends forward from the box of the trailer to the hitch on the car. It includes the "coupler" -- the portion of the tongue that slips over the ball of the hitch. When a trailer is loaded properly -- with 60 percent of the load in the front half of the trailer and 40 in the back half -- the tongue weight will be approximately 10 percent of the total weight. A loaded trailer weighing 1,000 lbs., therefore, has a tongue weight of roughly 100 lbs. Use the tongue weight when you are calculating the total load you are carrying. To use the earlier example, a Civic Sedan carrying four 150-lb. passengers and towing a properly loaded 1,000-lb. trailer will still be able to carry 150 lbs. of luggage in the car (4 times 150 equals 600, plus 100 lbs. of tongue weight, plus 150 lbs. of luggage equals 850 lbs.).

Hmmmmmmmmmmm just discovered this article from the website itstillruns…. that's completely different then..

which means passengers 400lbs + 153lbs tongue weight (roughly 1530lbs total of SXS+trailer) = 603lbs which is absolutely perfect

But how good is that thing tho .. if I use that logic .. I could tow a 4000lbs trailer... (400lbs + 450lbs of passengers= 850lbs) .. which doesn't make sense.

But.. if its kinda how it works.. that 1530lbs is suddenly way less scary now.. is simply 153lbs of pressure on the hitch and which makes it not overkill my GWAR.
    (Gross Weight Axle Rating)

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Rainz; 08-27-2019 at 12:50 AM.

K24Z7 Crew member #2427

My thoughts are buy a beater truck. Overload your tow capacity or tongue weight and it gets sketchy fast at speed. Not to mention if you take off on a hill, clutches are not a fun job.
    Teeps likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainz View Post
    Towing a SXS ?
    Hi guys, long time no see. ive got a question. Ive bought couple weeks ago a new 2018 Arctic Cat Wildcat Sport Limited SXS and i'm wondering if i should be considered nuts for the fact that im seriously considering towing that thing with my car. (2013 civic si coupe with hfp shocks) This SXS is like 980lbs + whatever the lightest 6x10 trailer i can find.

What you guys think?

Thanks!
    "Back in the day" we had an engineering test car, a '85 4WD Civic wagon, that one of the engineers used to tow his 3000lb 2 axle box trailer. It was not fast or pretty.

However, if the tongue weight is kept to around 110lbs, have a functioning electronic trailer brake system, and do not get in a hurry.
    Your Si will get the job done; again it won't be pretty...

NOW, would I do it? NO.
    Like 9thgensifamily says; buy a beater truck to tow the toys.

All that said: That little Civic made many trips to the desert for shooting and motorcycle outings and never broke down.
    Go here: Hidden Content
    Because misinformation is far worse; than NO information...

You'll be fine. Do it. I towed my 700+ pound mc on a 5x8 trailer from San Diego to Tulsa and back....with my 12 Civic si. I hauled ass, passed trucks, raced a weak ass Scion, I got strange looks from rednecks and it absolutely never felt unsafe. I even had less than optimal tongue weight because it was squatting a bit too much so I put the bike back some to help.
    Sound like you'll weigh a little more than I did but not much. Tongue weight would be your only prob in my opinion. Clutch was fine and I got near 30 mpg lol

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)