2015 9th Gen Coupe LX -- One Year Impressions
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By NightFlyer
  • 1 Post By jasper60103

Thread: 2015 9th Gen Coupe LX -- One Year Impressions

Nooblets

2015 9th Gen Coupe LX -- One Year Impressions

Okay, so I bought my 2015 LX Coupe on August 23, 2018, so we've just past the one year mark. Thought I'd share my impressions of the car at this point.

First off, I must say that I am thoroughly impressed with this vehicle. The smoothness rivals a luxury car, even after I've driven it over 12,000 miles. And while the LX is supposed to be a "base model", this car has a high-resolution display monitor, power everything except the seats, CD and USB player, and a high-mounted digital instrument cluster that comes close to the benefit of a head-up display, as the gauges are right by the base of the windshield and require very little eye movement from the road to view them. The only drawback is that it makes viewing the analog tach a little awkward, as you do have to look further down to see that. But otherwise, as I said when I first posted here, this car is practically the Knight Rider car, right out of the box.

The CVT is responsive, and performance overall is quite impressive for this type of car. One thing that always puts a grin on my face is accelerating on a curving on-ramp to a highway. And gas mileage is impressive, as I have averaged about 31 mpg in a mixture of driving, though with very little heavy start/stop driving, as my work schedule typically runs about 3:00pm to Midnight, thereby avoiding rush-hour traffic.

I've been doing quite a bit of interior mods to the car, and I am impressed with how easy it is to run wires in this car, as well as with the amount of space under the hood and under the dash. This is something that is increasingly unusual in modern cars.

And of course, the exterior styling, with near-exotic car proportions, really stands out in a sea of boring SUV's and wagons.

Now, as much as I like this car, I will point out that it does have a few minor flaws worth noting...

The windshield pillars can block my vision when making a turn. I find especially that left hand turns and curves to the left require me to be extra careful.

I would not trade the digital cluster at all, but I find one quirk to its location is the way the image of the speedometer can appear as a sort of double vision out of the corner of my eye as I am focusing on the road ahead. This is just a natural phenomenon of the way our eyes focus on objects at different distances, but occasionally, this double vision can cause me to momentarily see "74" out of the corner of my eye when I'm doing 47 (caused by the center digits of the double image of "47 47").

The lack of a coolant temperature gauge is odd, considering all of the other features and gauges that the car has.

The average fuel MPG reading per tank-full, at least on my vehicle, seems a bit optimistic. When I compare it to my calculations when I fill up the tank (dividing the miles driven by the gallons required to fill up the tank), the iMID display is usually about a half of an MPG higher than what I calculate.

The ride might be a bit harsh for some people, but to me it's a characteristic of the car's excellent handling.

Something about the angles of the windshield, hood, and/or side windows seems to make it a challenge to park the car straight. I generally have to remember to park in such a way where I feel like the car is pointing to the right to actually park straight.

The CVT fluid can produce an odd odor that can get inside the car when the engine is warm, though setting the vent to recirculate or turning on the A/C can alleviate the problem. Curiously, this odor appears to difuse through the housing of the transmission, as I have no leaks.

When doing any electronic mods, you'll want to consider the ELD (electrical load detector) and its operation. While a thumpin' stereo is not one of my mods, I can see how the ELD could cause some challenges with such a sound system.

But these are quite minor. Overall, I would strongly recommend this car to anyone looking for a great-looking, fun-to-drive, reliable, and economical car.
    Last edited by NightFlyer; 08-26-2019 at 03:14 AM.
    scottyrocks and jasper60103 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post

But these are quite minor. Overall, I would strongly recommend this car to anyone looking for a great-looking, fun-to-drive, reliable, and economical car.
    Nightflyer,
    thanks for the write up, and I agree with your overall impression.
    I bought my 2015 Lx auto brand new.
    I have close to 50,000 miles now and no problems with the
    car. This is my daily driver and I enjoy driving it.

jasper
    scottyrocks likes this.
    2015 Honda Civic Sedan LX Auto:
    1) Modern Steel Metallic ~48,000 miles
    2) Alabaster Silver Metallic ~15,000 miles

Nice review! I love our '13 LX and it's been super reliable so far.
    DD & Kids: 2018 Honda Civic LX - MT, 2013 Honda Civic LX - AT
    Wifey: 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
    Weekend: 2010 Nissan 370z Roadster

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)