2017 Honda Civic Si Brings Turbo to the Table for the First Time - Page 3
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: 2017 Honda Civic Si Brings Turbo to the Table for the First Time

Quote Originally Posted by KennyR View Post
    Im curious of the max output of the 1.5l with full boltons and a tune and max boost. Im almost kinda certain our engine boosted in anyway would make more power and have more growing room (without internals) than a little teeny tiny 1.5...i thought forsure honda woulda designed this with around 220-230hp. It almost seems that the si is destined to be a 200hp car from the factory especially since the type r is comin.
    The lack of vtec kinda sucks but the dual vtc sounds really cool!

with bolt ons and a tune the ex and si will beat our si. Itt will be a much easier car to obtain numbers due to FI. 9th gen civic could be better with FI due to higher liters. prlmotorsports also has a turbo upgrade kit for the 10th gens already and they look pretty bolt on easy also only 750$.
    K24Z7 - Crew Member #373

14' Honda Civic Si Coupe
    GodSpeed 2-Way MonoMax Coilovers
    MakspeedTurbo Kit - Comp 6062BB
    Vit-Viper Tuned
    Action Clutch -
    Stage 3
    Hawk Performance Brakes
    Progress Sway Bar
    GearX - 1-4th w/RSX Final Drive

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers805 View Post

with bolt ons and a tune the ex and si will beat our si. Itt will be a much easier car to obtain numbers due to FI. 9th gen civic could be better with FI due to higher liters. prlmotorsports also has a turbo upgrade kit for the 10th gens already and they look pretty bolt on easy also only 750$.
    Hondata knew the result they wanted from this test. The in camera footage shows that the Si has traction on and the driver is short shifting it. Not that it isn't possible for a tuned 10th gen to beat a stock Si, but Hondata was fudging their results.
    MeeSh likes this.
    2013 DBP Si Coupe

I think gone are the days that you'll see new civic si's beat mustangs and other high powered cars. With the K20 and K24 it's been possible due to just slapping on a turbo. but nowadays, they're almost maxing these 1.5L from the factory so you wont get much more out of it other than a tune and FBO. Do these 1.5L even have the capability to reach 400whp fully built and a bigger turbo? the fact that i'm even asking that is garbage. Not to mention the ex and si come with the same engine now, so if you're even slightly an enthusiast you could easily get the ex and LITERALLY make it into an Si with coils and tune. Interesting how Honda has played it. I think the Si is going to be a dying breed and the Type R and base civics will take over. idk though. I dont see the Si making sales here in the US with the type r actually having a different engine and the base civics rocking the exact same engine as the Si. there's no incentive to get it anymore and i feel dropping the engine size is forcing their enthusiasts to either stay at that level of power (which honestly is enough) or get a different car. as we all know, enthusiasts really seem to care about power.
    ​​Hidden Content
    IG: @MishkaCreates | @DankJDM
    - DankJDM.com -
    Naturally Aspirated, Lightweight, Hella Grip.
    Dyno Tuned by
    RC Autoworks
    Wheels & Suspension by FKX Racing

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    a tune does wonders for turbo cars. Much more than NA cars, so i have no doubt that the base 1.5t tuned will out run a SI. That 10th gen is a great car for people who don't want to go too intense on mods and just do bolt ons / flash and get like 260whp/260trq and call it a day compared to like 210/170 of older K series. Not to mention you have so much torque down low compared to having to wind it out every single time you want to get moving fast.
    However to some people who wants to build it insanely, I believe the 1.5 is going to limit those people. In the end, there is no replacement for displacement. If money is not an issue and you are building the motor, the limit is lower on the 1.5 due to just displacement alone..

Quote Originally Posted by MeeSh View Post
    Do these 1.5L even have the capability to reach 400whp fully built and a bigger turbo? the fact that i'm even asking that is garbage.
    have you driven the 1.5t? Even in stock form I can feel some noticeable lag. Now imagine trying to spool a bigger turbo lol.
    MeeSh likes this.
    -2003 Suzuka Blue S2000
    -2015 Taffeta White SI Sedan CT-E SC (Sold)
    -2016 Acura ILX
    -2017 Civic Type R

Greenhorn
    I'd rather just invest the money in my 12 Si...my opinion.
    Civi9 and jtsimaras like this.

I'm not going to write it off quite yet. I'll be taking it for a test drive once it is released before I make my final decision.

I do believe though, on the other hand, that it will fit the needs of most who purchase these cars. But... in a sense, I feel as If it leaves the enthusiasts out to dry.

Civic Si's fit the bill for me as a reliable, reasonably priced, sporty, take the kids to school, daily driver. I love my '15 Si sedan and see no reason to trade it in and put down more money for a 10th gen Si. If I was in the market for a new car I'd scoop up a 10th gen Si no doubt. But again, I really like my "15 so I'll wait until the 11th gen comes out and then trade up.
    sheheryar and jtsimaras like this.
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - G. Best
    9thGenCivic POP Crew #713
    2015 Civic Si 6mt
    2011 Hyundai IX35 5mt
    1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R 5mt
    No automatics allowed!

Greenhorn
    10th gen civic si its like Honda R&D ran out of ideas and budget after the type r. I was hoping that they would make the SI a hatchback with 5 doors instead of the coupe, even though I have nothing against the coupe it serves no purpose to me. I like the practicality of owning a sedan. As far as the HP is concerned a bump would have been nice but then again 205 is decent. Maybe a ECU Flash would have yielded a higher number or a turbo upgrade. honestly I was expecting the SI to be water down version of Type R but seems like its a washed out version. Honestly I would like to see a hatchback version of an SI. other than that it looks nice on the inside and yes definitely the red seat which might come next year like they did with our generation, 2013 had no read seats no push button start and then in 2014 they introduced the red seats and push button. All we can do is hope.

One Bad Mama Jama!!!
    I see this as a downward spiral...trend. Why stop at 1.5t?

Hell, Honda should water it down to 1.2t or similar and be done with it.

IMO the Si this year isn't as special and doesn't set itself far apart from the lower trims. If I was in the market for a new Honda I would cash out more for the Type-R for sure.

I bet they are gonna be priced ridiculously at first though. First time production Type-R is gonna be high demand in the states.
    jtsimaras likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)