2014 Honda Civic Adds CVT to Bump MPG
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: 2014 Honda Civic Adds CVT to Bump MPG

Sponsored Editorial Content

2014 Honda Civic Adds CVT to Bump MPG

Short of a UFC title fight, you would be hard pressed to find a harder-fought match than the compact car segment and Honda just swung another fist by announcing a series of upgrades to the Civic.

It’s been an annual onslaught of upgrades for the Civic since its current generation debuted in 2012. last year, the company announced a refreshed version after only one spin around the sun. Now, the company is bringing even more new equipment to its super-popular small car. For the Civic Coupe and Si Coupe, changes includes exterior styling tweaks first seen during the SEMA Show in Las Vegas earlier this month.

But the chances aren’t limited to two-door models. Toyota just released its new Corolla, which carries over much of the mechanical parts from its previous generation but adds – among other things – a CVT. Guess what sort of transmission Honda is adding to its compact car in the coming model year. Equipped with a CVT, the Civic HF will offer an average 35 mpg or up to 42 on the highway.

Other models will get a 2 mpg bump in the city and improve 1 mpg on the combined cycle, resulting in 30 mpg city, 39 mpg highway and 33 mpg combined for the sedans, while coupes with the CVT are now rated at 29 mpg city, 38 mpg highway and 33 mpg combined.

In the range-topping Si model, Honda tweaked the engine slightly to make 205 hp and 174 lb-ft of torque – a paltry increase of four units in either measure. The LX Coupe and Si models also come wit ha revised suspension meant to reduce body roll and enhance steering response.

There’s new fabric upholstering the seats and some of the interior materials are also new for 2014. There’s also an all-new seven-inch touch screen audio display with swipe, pinch and tap controls meant to mimic modern smartphones. A push-button start system and smart entry are also available as options.

Finally, Honda is transplanting it’s no-brainer LaneWatch safety system also found in the Accord. It allows drivers to look directly into the lane to their right through the in-dash display screen.
    See more photos of the 2014 Honda Civic at AutoGuide.com
    chrisiden likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

I'm still dying to see the 2014 si sedan.
    2013 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Polished Metal Metallic

K24Z7 Crew Member #619

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    It looks a heck of a lot better in that picture.

I'm gonna have to see one in person.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Greenhorn
    hondaspeed12 and BONESTOCKFB6 like this.

Truck? What truck?! scottyrocks's Avatar
    That looks very nice.
    'Three pedals or bust!'
    'Come for the cars. Stay for the people.'
    'Part of having the right to free speech is knowing when to not exercise it.'
    ‘Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.’
    9th Gen Civic POP Crew #6 Hidden Content
    9th Gen Civic LI Crew#1 Hidden Content

god 2014 si look more ugly.

I like that red in the seats!! Pretty cool
    '12 Si Coupe

Automatics are just wrong.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

Stick shifts are where it's at!

I am 26 and probably in the demographic Honda thinks would want those red inserts on the seat. I had to hold back my dinner from coming up looking at it.

I just saw the 2014 Si sedan - I'm SO happy I have a 2013 Si sedan...some say the spoiler is "too much". Honda went back to "not enough" with the 2014 Si's sedan's spoiler.

Is it that hard to hit a happy medium, or should we come to expect drastic changes for every single model year of the 9th gen Civic? The naysayers can sit here and say that they're "keeping up with the market", but I can't think of a single car for sale that has changed as drastically - or frequently, as the 2012+ Civic. The 8th gens got a mid model refresh plus a few upgrades year over year...but nothing nearly this drastic.

I need a draminie to get through reading about the updates they're so up and down every year. Tighter suspension again for the Si this year? Seriously? Can you do it right the first time please instead of giving us a Corolla for 2012, a much improved 2013 handling, and now even more suspension tweaks?

That's not updating. That's fixing judgment error. The other stuff is superficial. Sure the push button start and "pinch screen" and lane departure is cool and I'd totally buy into it, but its not enough to upgrade for me. Especially with those hideous new Si wheels for 2014.

Just my two cents. I'm glad Honda's trying to keep ahead of the game, but it would've helped if they started there in 2012 to begin with. Maybe then we wouldn't have to see more changes than Joan River's face after plastic surgery year after year of this Civic cycle.

Also, here's the link for the 2014 Si sedan: 2014 Honda Civic Coupe News - Official Site
    IvynSteez likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mno86 View Post
    I am 26 and probably in the demographic Honda thinks would want those red inserts on the seat. I had to hold back my dinner from coming up looking at it.

I just saw the 2014 Si sedan - I'm SO happy I have a 2013 Si sedan...some say the spoiler is "too much". Honda went back to "not enough" with the 2014 Si's sedan's spoiler.

Is it that hard to hit a happy medium, or should we come to expect drastic changes for every single model year of the 9th gen Civic? The naysayers can sit here and say that they're "keeping up with the market", but I can't think of a single car for sale that has changed as drastically - or frequently, as the 2012+ Civic. The 8th gens got a mid model refresh plus a few upgrades year over year...but nothing nearly this drastic.

I need a draminie to get through reading about the updates they're so up and down every year. Tighter suspension again for the Si this year? Seriously? Can you do it right the first time please instead of giving us a Corolla for 2012, a much improved 2013 handling, and now even more suspension tweaks?

That's not updating. That's fixing judgment error. The other stuff is superficial. Sure the push button start and "pinch screen" and lane departure is cool and I'd totally buy into it, but its not enough to upgrade for me. Especially with those hideous new Si wheels for 2014.

Just my two cents. I'm glad Honda's trying to keep ahead of the game, but it would've helped if they started there in 2012 to begin with. Maybe then we wouldn't have to see more changes than Joan River's face after plastic surgery year after year of this Civic cycle.

Also, here's the link for the 2014 Si sedan: 2014 Honda Civic Coupe News - Official Site
    According to that Honda site, only the coupes have that crazy, bulging front end? I may be able to get used to the bumper, but I hate the raised fender that looks like a Tiburons fender or something, which therefor, makes the hood more curvature. Not fair that the sedans got to keep the same front ends.
    Oh well. Things that will make me trade my 2013 for a 2014, is if the curb weight went lower, and i'd get to keep my 2013 front end. I'm really interested in the Navi though, and curious about the HDMI port.
    AMTC (Chief Aviation Maintenance Technician, E-7)
    2000 Civic EX- Bolt on k20a2 swap. 227whp 165tq (Awesome Dynojet tune. Cost less than the "ultimate tune". lol
    2009 F150 5.4L
    2013 Civic Si (HFP Aero - DBP)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)