DIY: Connecting Subs to stock Radio
  1. Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation – General discussion forum for 9th Gen Civic

Welcome to 9th Gen Civic Forum : 2012 Honda Civic Forums - 9th Generation - a website dedicated to all things 9th Gen Civic.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join 9th Gen Civic today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: DIY: Connecting Subs to stock Radio

9thgen's Official E-thug CivicMx's Avatar

DIY: Connecting Subs to stock Radio

Saw someone had a question about this and decided to post this for anyone else who needed the info..

THIS DIY assumes you know how to connect your AMP

Items needed
    1 Amp (for your subs) Including the following
    [1 power wire, 1 ground wire, 1 remote cable wire, 1 RCA wire]

1 Lineout Converter (speaker level to RCA)

1 Wire Splicing tool

Optional
    Wire Diagram of your stock radio harness

STEP 1
    Purchase a lineout converter to RCA- pretty much its 4 wires two positives and 2 negatives that come out of a little box with two RCAs... just go to best buy or your local electronics store and tell them you want to hook up a sub to your stock radio and you need a lineout converter to RCA thingy.. theyll hook u up.. should be no more than 20-30 bucks... or find it online cheaper

STEP 2
    Buy a Wire Splicing tool (make sure its for small cables 16 gauge and up)

STEP 3
    Locate the rear speaker wires on the stock radio harness (behind the radio)... these are the ones you want to tap into
    the rear speakers wires on the stock harness for the 2012 civic lx are
    Yellow and brown for the driver rear, and Blue and orange for the passenger rear.. (You can confirm this on your specific car by just opening your trunk and taking a look at the wires that connect to your rear speaker...simple enough)....Splice those wires on the stock radio harness behind the radio.... and connect the wires on the lineout converter to it

remember keep negative with negative and positive with positive...if you dont have a meter to let you know.. just check in your trunk under your stock speaker which side is the negative and which side goes to positive..

Now jus plug in your RCAs coming from the AMP to the RCA inputs on the lineout converter

and thats it... your done.. and of course you have to have an amp powering your subwoofer

PS. To give remote turn on power to your amp just connect your remote cable to the remote turn on wire listed on your diagram ) On the 2012 civic LX its the purple wire on the stock radio harness
    Last edited by CivicMx; 08-31-2011 at 11:46 PM.
    CiViCMX | 9thNorthEast Crew Member #001 | K24Z7 Crew Member #617

Join 9thNorthEast here:
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

Stationed at Fort Carson, Colorado but I'm from Fitchburg, Massachusetts
    i will be doing this in a few weeks when i return home from afghanistan. i will take as many pics as possible and post them up for you guys. im running two 12" alpine type R's and a 1,000 watt alpine amp.
    Last edited by grinner910; 12-18-2011 at 05:32 AM.

grinner910 - how did it turn out?

5. Remove Advertisements
    9th Civic
    Advertisements

i did this to my civic when i got in back in august and it works perfectly

got my subs and amp, anyone know an ideal cost for wiring?
    2012 Honda Civic LX Sedan
    R18 Crew Member #990

Quote Originally Posted by CivicMx View Post
    1 Lineout Converter (speaker level to RCA)

STEP 1
    Purchase a lineout converter to RCA- pretty much its 4 wires two positives and 2 negatives that come out of a little box with two RCAs... just go to best buy or your local electronics store and tell them you want to hook up a sub to your stock radio and you need a lineout converter to RCA thingy.. theyll hook u up.. should be no more than 20-30 bucks... or find it online cheaper

STEP 3
    Locate the rear speaker wires on the stock radio harness (behind the radio)... these are the ones you want to tap into
    the rear speakers wires on the stock harness for the 2012 civic lx are
    Yellow and brown for the driver rear, and Blue and orange for the passenger rear.. (You can confirm this on your specific car by just opening your trunk and taking a look at the wires that connect to your rear speaker...simple enough)....Splice those wires on the stock radio harness behind the radio.... and connect the wires on the lineout converter to it

Now jus plug in your RCAs coming from the AMP to the RCA inputs on the lineout converter
    Nice work!

What do you think about this approach?

The converter that I used in section #3 of ( https://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/how...html#post54057 ) can be placed in the trunk at the speaker connectors; with the correct pins you could plug right into the factory harness. This will also remove the need to run new RCA cables to the trunk.

Of course, you still be to provide primary and remote power to your amp.
    Buddy

Fineprint: Any advice or opinon that I offer is just that. Before using information from my post, you should verify. In other words, if your car causes trouble then look in the mirror.

I tried installing subs on my stock radio and you hear a humming sound on your speakers when the radio is on. So I took it out.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

some LOC's have a ground wire (its optional to ground), try grounding it that should help

If I were to splice into the rear speakers like Midlife said was possible my rear speakers would still work, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by dooger View Post
    If I were to splice into the rear speakers like Midlife said was possible my rear speakers would still work, correct?
    Yes. If u have a factory sub u can just use those speaker wires to do it. That's what I'm about to do. There won't be a need for the factory sub if you're putting in an aftermarket.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
    ItsLowBro12 and pito like this.
    K24Z7 Crew member #246
    2012 CBP sedan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)